• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions Sept 12-15
1 1

262 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2024 at 7:35 AM, gumbydarnit said:

TOS 39 issue break up seems to be a good way to split up an historical issue. Just dripping the pages out a little at a time no rush. 

Yeah, this feels similar to the Giant Size X-Men #1 run from several years back or even the current Hero for Hire #1 solicitation. Patient sellers maximizing everything they can. It’s impressive to see, but with each page sold, I realize how much quickly one can get priced out.

Edited by Xatari

On 8/4/2024 at 2:09 AM, Xatari said:

Yeah, this feels similar to the Giant Size X-Men #1 run from several years back or even the current Hero for Hire #1 solicitation. Patient sellers maximizing everything they can. It’s impressive to see, but with each page sold, I realize how much quickly one can get priced out.

A break up of a major 1960s marvel key is pretty special.   Can't really expect it to be affordable for most people, myself included.

On 8/3/2024 at 6:35 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Jaw-dropping goodness!

image.jpeg.c186b0b61b3c81c06eb70482668dbfc2.jpeg

what do people expect that Vampi 3 cover by Bode to run?

I imagine its a pretty tough one to guess, but what do we all think?

My buttquote is 75-100k or so given boobie tax.    With up to 125-150k being possible.    Beyond that I think it becomes a stretch.

But... you know... I'm basing that on the current windspeed across my right buttcheek.

However.. maybe I'm way off.   Will Warren buyers not want to pay big bucks for a Vampi cover with no Vampi, or does that not matter since the original is nice, and boobies, and its a very early issue.    For my part I just think its cool and early and so someone will pay.   But I don't know this market.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/3/2024 at 10:35 AM, gumbydarnit said:

TOS 39 issue break up seems to be a good way to split up an historical issue. Just dripping the pages out a little at a time no rush. 

Especially since the book originally "fell of the back of a truck." :baiting:

On 8/15/2024 at 12:41 PM, Bronty said:

what do people expect that Vampi 3 cover by Bode to run?

I imagine its a pretty tough one to guess, but what do we all think?

My buttquote is 75-100k or so given boobie tax.    With up to 125-150k being possible.    Beyond that I think it becomes a stretch.

But... you know... I'm basing that on the current windspeed across my right buttcheek.

However.. maybe I'm way off.   Will Warren buyers not want to pay big bucks for a Vampi cover with no Vampi, or does that not matter since the original is nice, and boobies, and its a very early issue.    For my part I just think its cool and early and so someone will pay.   But I don't know this market.

This is about my number but could be way off. I think the Bode name attachment is the X Factor.

I love seeing the blowup of this but its honestly not a very attractive image. I always wondered what the heck was going on here, to be honest. Seems to be an early Taarna concept but am not a heavy reader. I know this issue is one of those that is sought after for being difficult to find in mint condition.

I also note the cover for HM 1 by Nicollet was sold by a French gallery about a year ago for 25k, which I thought was a steal (from a gallery not know for being cheap).

I actually really like the image, despite not knowing WTF is going on either.   But for me that's true of a lot of Bode's work as I'm not that familiar with.   The color is rich and attractive and again, boobies.    

I do see he somewhat imperfectly corrected the size of her head.

What's HM1?

Heavy Metal 1. I was shocked when the sales listing came from I think Barbier. The Nicollet sold immediately and I am pretty sure it was 25k Euros. Weird image on HM 1 but again it sort of what you want isn't it? And for the first issue! Corben's B style poster art sold for around 250k as I recall and that I thought wasn't a pleasant image at all.

Well, do we look at it as Heavy Metal art, or Corben art, or both.

288k for this, which to my eye seems like a really classic bit of corben  https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/paintings/richard-corben-heavy-metal-den-movie-poster-painting-original-art-columbia-1981-/a/7270-91014.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

doesn't seem unreasonable in comparison to 55k for this   https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/story-page/richard-corben-voice-of-comicdom-17-rowlf-back-cover-story-page-original-art-1971-/a/7342-93014.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I don't think the Nicollet is that interesting, but 25k is probably still a deal.    I still don't think its six figures even at a very successful auction though.     Maybe it gets to 50k (?).

The one everybody knows is the Achilleos, I'd be curious to see that sell.

My sense is that the film was a bigger deal in the US than the magazine, ie that there is more demand for various iterations of the movie poster art than most of the mag covers,  but truthfully I really don't know and am guessing about all of this as I never went down the Heavy Metal path.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bronty