• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AWESOME question: Any vintage pulp covers with heroes that look like Indiana Jones?
3 3

38 posts in this topic

As I've talked to non-pulp folks about collecting pulps -- the two or three that will listen to me anyway -- one "shorthand" I've used for describing vintage pulps that people seem to get is that some of the 30s/40s cover themes resemble the Indiana Jones movies. Pretty much any scene from the first couple of Indy Jones films -- the deadly temple in the jungle, sacrifice in the Temple of Doom, action scenes on trucks fighting Nazis, etc etc -- seems like it could have come straight off a Dime Mystery or Doc Savage or Action Stories cover.

This got me wondering -- by sheer happenstance and by the sheer number of pulp covers cranked out every month -- are there any vintage pulp covers where the cover hero "strongly" resembles Indiana Jones, either in looks or in situational context? I see stray covers with Indy-Jones-type elements -- a male hero in a hat, or dressed in a brown jacket, or carrying a whip or a gun, or in a deadly temple, etc etc but not all together. Just wondering if there's a cover that puts some/most/any of those elements together and kind of strikingly/surprisingly looks like Indy.

(Or hey, post anything even loosely related! Up to you guys.)

Edited by Point Five

On 6/25/2024 at 9:09 PM, Darwination said:

Doc Savage is absolutely the first pulp influence I think of.  Scientist, explorer, detective, always in some temple or another or battling some group of cult mystics.  The problem is he's not into headwear :D

Or bullwhips :I  Indy's also maybe a little bit shrewder/wormier than Doc (to his credit).

18885352%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

1094491%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chain

28249824%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Grendelbo is on to something with Adventure (and Argosy's gonna be my first look), but the jungle adventurers always have the pith helmets.  Bet we can find some good ones, though.

These are great!  :applause:

And that's kind of what I meant by situational context. Even if every tiny detail isn't in place these definitely have the Indy vibe.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/indiana-jones-jim-steranko/

George was tapping into several lost areas – the genre which spotlighted the kind of globetrotting he-man who energized the such vintage films such as Too Hot To Handle, China Seas, and The General Died At Dawn; the Saturday-afternoon serials with their spine-cracking cliffhanger endings; and the lightning-paced adventure pulps of the 1930s – to create a new character, like Buster Crabbe, Kane Richmond, and Clayton Moore rolled into one, a character that might be best described as an incarnation of Doc Savage out of Humphrey Bogart

steranko-indiana-jones-concept-art.jpg?a

On 6/25/2024 at 9:29 PM, grendelbo said:

Adventure-January-1934.jpg

harrison-ford-as-indiana-jones-terrified-as-he-looks-at-a-cobra-in-raiders-of-the-lost-ark.jpg

Wow. Love it!

I'd say this thread is blowing up my wantlist, but most of these Adventures are up on MCS for like $10 or $20 each (if I hurry). :shiftyeyes: