• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Novice Selling on Ebay
2 2

15 posts in this topic

"I hate letting his collection go but they need a better home as I don't read them"

Classic scamming line, variation of the ol' "Estate Sale" and "Dead Relative" con - not saying it is but 98% of the time its the case

Recognizing Feigning Ignorance:

Spotting this tactic requires careful observation and a bit of intuition. Here are some signs:

1. Inconsistent Ignorance: If a person’s understanding seems to fluctuate based on their convenience, they might be feigning ignorance.
  1. Avoidance of Responsibility: A person feigning ignorance might use it as an excuse to evade responsibilities or obligations, particularly in legal contexts.
  1. Excessive Queries: Constant questions about basic information, especially in contexts where a certain level of knowledge is expected, could indicate this tactic.

Expanding on #3 anyone who possesses the acumen to; get on the inter-webs, locate this forum, register and post, clearly has more than ample knowledge+skills to use Google, Duckduckgo, Bing etc as well as poke around eBay.

BTW seeing a lot of this recently on Trading Card forums. Expect to see more of this here.

Edited by MAR1979

Hi not a scam. He spent so much time on them and really enjoyed them. I just don't share the same passion, but have a bit of an issue letting his stuff go (He's passed). I have started putting them on Ebay to make some money as it's more needed than the comics. 

Nothing wrong with selling on eBay.  If you’re doing auctions you have guaranteed sales with no additional research on your end, and you can schedule auctions to end when you have time to pack and ship comics.

might not max out the price, but putting in the time might not add as much value either, depends on the books and conditions.  But it might take a lot more effort and time to max your price, and depending on the books, you may end up wasting a lot of time to realize your stuff is trash

Edited by revat

There are also Facebook groups that allow Buy/Sell/Trade, they do have rules about posting, you need to post multiple pics with a current date/time stamp, assign an approximate grade (plenty of help with this online), add an asking price, add the shipping cost and payment methods you will accept, generally only PayPal Goods and Services.

You need to join the group, answer their questions when applying and be approved by a moderator.

A little more work than an eBay listing but no fees other than the PayPal 2.9% + 30 cents.

One other thing you will need to learn if you are selling books is how to properly pack them for shipping so they do not get damaged, bag/board, bubble wrap, thick cardboard, painters tape, packing tape, Priority Mail Boxes/Envelopes/Labels (all free from your local USPS) or Gemini Mailers.

My Son stopped collecting a few years back and is selling his books, I belong to 6 Facebook groups, two allow sales, my Son was offered $800.00 for all 2000 books by a dealer, we said no, to this point I have sold about 600-700 of his books for about $3000.00 and that is without posting them for sale, just checking what folks are looking for and then letting them know I have them, recently a gentleman bought me entire run of Spider-Man (1990) and then my run of X Men (1991) for $1.00 each (on two separate occasions), just so you are aware,100 books weigh 20 lbs and Priority Mail shipping was $45.00 for each box of 100.

Looking at your Marvel Secret Wars 8, I sold the entire run of Secret Wars 1 for $150.00 about two years ago since that is what the LCS's said they were selling them for, have the prices changed since then?

Sorry about your Dad, Good Luck with your sales.

On 6/26/2024 at 3:30 PM, leelee7788 said:

Hi, my father was a collector of comics and I have just started to sell them on Ebay but didn't know if that was the best place? I hate letting his collection go but they need a better home as I don't read them. I've attached one that I have put on ebay

1.jpg

4.jpg

Hi Lee

Could you post pictures of more books from your father's collection so we can get a better idea of what's in it?

Many , including myself, use mycomicshop.com ..you can send them your raws for auction consignment . They will grade them also and ship them ..therefore no liability on your part. Fees are much lower than Ebay and with raw comics you will most likely get a better price than on Ebay (based on personal experience). I stopped selling raws on Ebay last year as I noticed they weren't doing as well as on mycomicshop.com. The only downside..it takes longer to go thru the process.

Edited by Ed Hanes

OK - it's probably in your best interest to sell them through ebay

I would do some homework and isolate the most valuable books, then sell those individually.  Then put the rest in mini lots. It will make your life a bit easier and increase the likelihood of getting the books sold. 

On 6/27/2024 at 3:05 AM, leelee7788 said:

Hi not a scam. He spent so much time on them and really enjoyed them. I just don't share the same passion, but have a bit of an issue letting his stuff go (He's passed). I have started putting them on Ebay to make some money as it's more needed than the comics. 

Still not seeing even one link to an auction. Very smokey.

On 6/27/2024 at 10:06 PM, Lightning55 said:

Still not seeing even one link to an auction. Very smokey.

Hi, I was just after advice. To be honest I saw the post below yours about scams and didn't want to try to sell or promote anything I am selling through here.