• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After Alex Ross ?

17 posts in this topic

On 6/29/2024 at 12:50 PM, grapeape said:

Alex swiped Marie. As nice a person as she was, she would be honored.

Yeah that's what I figured. I just found it amusing that this suggested that Jimenez might not have known about Marie Severin's cover.  I'm bettin' that he's young.  Hence, my snarky "how quickly they forget" as a joke.

On 6/29/2024 at 1:10 PM, Unca Ben said:

Yeah that's what I figured. I just found it amusing that this suggested that Jimenez might not have known about Marie Severin's cover.  I'm bettin' that he's young.  Hence, my snarky "how quickly they forget" as a joke.

You could lay that newer cover over IH 105-and the images would line up near perfectly. (thumbsu

On 6/29/2024 at 4:10 PM, Unca Ben said:

Why would you think that? Just because he didn't put "After Ross After Marie"? To be fair, I don't know of many "double homage" examples like this where someone recreates or homages a cover that in itself was already homaging someone else, so if that's really the standard then I would understand, but I wouldn't think thats necessary.

Also, please forgive me if this sounds offensive, I mean no offense, just mentioning this since I found this a bit amusing too: I had a similar thought when I saw the thread title and the first post. I was thinking "Maybe he doesn't know about the Alex Ross cover, he might be an old timer who doesn't keep up with the million or so variant covers that come out these days" Which I thought would be completely fair, there are way too many variants nowadays

On 6/29/2024 at 1:57 PM, JC25427N said:

Why would you think that? Just because he didn't put "After Ross After Marie"? To be fair, I don't know of many "double homage" examples like this where someone recreates or homages a cover that in itself was already homaging someone else, so if that's really the standard then I would understand, but I wouldn't think thats necessary.

Also, please forgive me if this sounds offensive, I mean no offense, just mentioning this since I found this a bit amusing too: I had a similar thought when I saw the thread title and the first post. I was thinking "Maybe he doesn't know about the Alex Ross cover, he might be an old timer who doesn't keep up with the million or so variant covers that come out these days" Which I thought would be completely fair, there are way too many variants nowadays

It was a joke.  jeez.  relax.  :cheers:   
I figured most would get it ( and at least one did, given the "funny" emoji reaction to my post).  

And No., I hadn't personally seen the Alex Ross cover, but given the context I did reason that  there was a Ross version of this, due to the attribution.  That wasn't much of a deductive stretch. 
Regardless, I didn't need to see the Ross version to recognize this as originally a Marie Severin cover.  So I attempted to make a funny.  I guess I will stick to my day job.  :frown:

All this does bring up an interesting question:  if one creates an homage of an homage, does it make a sound?    (hint:  another joke)  :D

Edited by Unca Ben

On 6/29/2024 at 5:17 PM, Unca Ben said:

It was a joke.  jeez.  relax.  :cheers:   

I get that but I thought you were serious about the premise. I'm sorry if I came off as attacking or "too serious" in my asking. I was just curious what would make one think that Jimenez didn't know about the Severin cover in this case, and I thought maybe it was just the "After Ross" credit without a mention of Marie, so I was curious if there was a standard for multi-level homages I wasn't aware of. But if the whole entire thing, including that part, was a joke, then that went over my head, my bad. :cheers:

Edited by JC25427N

On 6/29/2024 at 2:24 PM, JC25427N said:

I get that but I thought you were serious about the premise. I'm sorry if I came off as attacking or "too serious" in my asking. I was just curious what would make one think that Jimenez didn't know about the Severin cover in this case, and I thought maybe it was just the "After Ross" credit without a mention of Marie, so I was curious if there was a standard for multi-level homages I wasn't aware of. But if the whole entire thing, including that part, was a joke, then that went over my head, my bad. :cheers:

Like I said, I'm gonna keep my day job over making a living at delivering humor.  (:

As far as Jimenez being aware of the Severin cover or not - that's why I used the qualifiers "suggested" and "might" in my statement - to convey that given the information I had at the time, it's not known (to me) if Jimenez knew that Alex Ross's cover was an homage or an original.

On 6/29/2024 at 1:10 PM, Unca Ben said:

that this suggested that Jimenez might not have known about Marie Severin's cover

Was the Ross homage cover clearly attributed "after Severin" or was it mentioned in the comic itself?  If not, then it's possible that the artist didn't know.  Then again, maybe he did.

Edited by Unca Ben

The e-mail indicates that this is one of a series of homages (by the NextComicArt crew) that will be available during ComicArtLive tonight (6/29/2024). The e-mail is even titled "Cover Homage Art Sale with Next Comic Art Tonight at 9PM EST" .

Most of the images in the e-mail seem to have attributions (e.g. "after ..."). 

Edited by Will_K

"What painter does not steal in some way? Either from prints, or reliefs, or nature herself, or from the works of others, turning the poses in the opposite sense, twisting an arm more, showing a leg, changing the face, adding a drapery, and, in short, judiciously hiding the theft?"

Carlo Cesare Malvasia (1616–1693)

Funny thing - I finally tracked down a copy of a book called The Domenichino Affair only last month after years of searching for a reasonably priced copy which is probably the most famous example of 'plagiarism versus homage' in the history of art.

Ten years after completing his work The Last Communion of Saint Jerome in 1614. Bolognese painter Domenichino was accused by his rival Giovanni Lanfranco of stealing the idea for the painting from an altarpiece crafted by Lanfranco’s teacher, Agostino Carracci. It was the first time a painter had ever been accused of stealing the invention of another and passing it off as his own -  though it had been common practice for centuries, and even artists as great as Raphael had done the same without comment or criticism.

Writing in the 19th Century, the French painter Eugene Delacroix  claimed that poor old Domenichino had to go into hiding in fear of his life.

The resulting scandal reverberated through the centuries and the shifting dialectic between imitation and originality, tradition and innovation would seem to be very much still with us!

Nicolas Poussin, the leading artist of the French Baroque style, defended Domenichino in a famous quote:

'Novelty in painting does not principally consist in a subject never before seen, but in good and new dispositions and expression, and in this way the subject changes from being ordinary and old to being special and new.'

He could have been talking about Alex Ross!

The Domenichino Affair.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Let's feature "homages" by rando overseas artists piggy backing on the names, designs and layouts of published artists drawing licensed characters. Let's feature them in an auction and CAL.   Yeah, what could possibly go wrong? The Cease and Desist Letters almost write themselves.  The IP holders (Disney, WB) have long looked the other way when current or former artists continue to sell signed prints and do commissions and sketch covers of characters they do not own. This is kinda pushing the boundaries not a little, but a lot.