• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the “BAD” mold? Huge lot SA comics.
2 2

41 posts in this topic

Just bought a lot of 50 or so silver age books advertised as having mold damage. But looking at them, I’m not sure if it is indeed mold? They do have that old library smell to them and I see rust on the staples, maybe a little bit of water damage here and there. But are these dangerous to have on hand? Should I keep these in my collection or toss them? Pics below. All 50 are very similar discoloration around the staples, fading in color at the bottom. Maybe have a little of water discoloration light brown. But is this black mold? Or anything I should be concerned with?

Edited by Blastaar

On 6/30/2024 at 8:20 PM, Blastaar said:

Well….. fiddlesticks 

I feel your pain, the most I have ever paid for a slabbed comic, and while the back cover is worse, idk early on to avoid foxing and I'm not sure if it is the same as "mold" per se.

Bought it from a reputable dealer for a pretty penny at the time, and this is the comic that I paid double I ever had even now.... it is mostly on the back cover and idk ??? 
Grader Notes:
crease left center of front cover;
foxing full left of back cover;
foxing right bottom of back cover;
foxing spine.

3204663_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Ni8zLzIwMjQgOToyM

Then there is this that I got raw for $30 and cost to grade, I kept it as a study for the above expensive one, I think or I still own it lol 

3453532_Full_Obv.jpg?t=NS8yNS8yMDI0IDM6M

Grader Notes:
color lift front cover;
heavy rusted staples to cover;
large water stain full right of front cover;
large, heavy water stain full left of back cover;
light bends to cover;
moderate color lift left top of back cover;
moderate spine stress lines to cover;
moisture damage whole book;
small tear with crease top of front cover;
spine roll.

On 6/30/2024 at 7:39 PM, Blastaar said:

So throw these out? Not high dollar by any means but it’s a shame. 37 books in total. Runs of tales of suspense, strange tales, and astonish. He wanted $8 per book I got the lot for $125. Feel like I’m the sucker. 

Good for reading copies. (thumbsu

On 6/30/2024 at 8:45 PM, Funnybooks said:

a week after shipment arrives....

Mud Cone GIF by Hourglass Brewing

So I shouldn’t  even try and sell them as a deeeeeep discount on this site with full disclosure? Is that against policy or in bad taste? 

Edited by Blastaar