• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“For Marvel Use Only” Red Stamp
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Hey everybody Have you ever seen a “For Marvel Use Only” red stamp in a comic book? I just bought a collection in SF and quite a few of them have it stamped on the inside. Came from a collection from the “Classico San Francisco” who made licensed post cards, magnets, posters, etc. I found an invoice from marvel licensing to the Classico and figured they were ones used for scanning/printing? No body I know has ever seen it I figured I would ask here. Books I’ve found so far include 

Uncanny X-Men #286, X-Men #1,4, and ASM #361.

thanks for any help! 
added a picture of the invoice as well. There were a few others too. IMG_5088.thumb.jpeg.0bbe68de9d7a45cd184ebef270288583.jpegIMG_5090.thumb.jpeg.bfce4423f3f7b5500a8c60097f825a8e.jpeg

IMG_5089.jpeg

IMG_5087.jpeg

On 7/3/2024 at 4:47 AM, DougC said:

Those are pretty cool, wish I had known about it and snagged the X-Men (1991). I wonder if they would get the "file copy" designation since you have providence.

Yeah that would be amazing if cgc gave it a file copy designation

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 7:47 AM, DougC said:

Those are pretty cool, wish I had known about it and snagged the X-Men (1991). I wonder if they would get the "file copy" designation since you have providence.

I do agree however the books at bare minimum would have to be listed on the invoice and the 4 the OP mentioned are not.

Edited by MAR1979

The stamps changed over time. 

One of the first things the Perlman regime did was to reduce comp copies. My neighbor worked in accounting and got free copies. Perlman took those away and then outsourced his whole team.  

On 7/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, shadroch said:

The stamps changed over time. 

One of the first things the Perlman regime did was to reduce comp copies. My neighbor worked in accounting and got free copies. Perlman took those away and then outsourced his whole team.  

Do you have any photos of what the stamp looked like over the years?

No, it's not something I cared about.  I picked up some of E. Nelson Bridwell's collection and they were stamped with various things. some said Office Use Only, some said Complimentary Copy, some said Compliments of Marvel Comics.  I had a couple dozen older ones and hundreds I bought from my neighbor, but they are long gone.

On 7/5/2024 at 2:12 PM, Uff_Da said:

Very similar but those all just say complimentary or do not sell. Marvel also gave less and less books to staff over the years from what I’m gathering and these are newer books comparatively.