• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Billionaires Discussing Billionaires They Will Never Meet Who Buy Art To Show Other Billionaires
4 4

132 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2024 at 2:27 AM, delekkerste said:

I saw a photo or video of him with a Captain America figure in his office a while back. Not surprisingly, he seems to be a big Cap fan. Also has the Byrne Iron Fist #15 cover among other things:

Screenshot_20240805_114533_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a1291c0c1b290c82e4313568e46a14e7.jpg

Remember the old days when you used to insist that billionaires and celebrities didn't collect comics or OA? :baiting:

On 8/5/2024 at 11:53 PM, Benedict Judas Hel said:

I didn’t want to say anything because I feel I am still new to the hobby but that framing job doesn’t look too good to my untrained eyes…

It looks like his framing was done by someone who does museum-quality work. Looks good to me, and I have faith that it's not going to damage the art unless there's a big window in that room. 

On 8/6/2024 at 11:09 AM, tth2 said:

Remember the old days when you used to insist that billionaires and celebrities didn't collect comics or OA? :baiting:

That is not what I said. :makepoint: 

I said that virtually no one gets rich and then decides to collect comic OA without some kind of pre-existing love or connection to comics. It's not like fine art where those who become mega rich inevitably get sucked into it by virtue of their new professional and social circles. 

We know that there are plenty of celebs and successful business people who collect comics and comic art. But almost all of them had a pre-existing love for the medium. I'm sure there may be a tiny number of exceptions, but, they are the ones that prove the rule. 

Edited by delekkerste

Also, not sure if I’ve totally blanked it out somehow, but I don’t remember hearing about a Death Dealer 1 sale?   Can anyone speak to that?

On 8/6/2024 at 11:08 AM, delekkerste said:

That is not what I said. :makepoint: 

I said that virtually no one gets rich and then decides to collect comic OA without some kind of pre-existing love or connection to comics. It's not like fine art where those who become mega rich inevitably get sucked into it by virtue of their new professional and social circles. 

We know that there are plenty of celebs and successful business people who collect comics and comic art. But almost all of them had a pre-existing love for the medium. I'm sure there may be a tiny number of exceptions, but, they are the ones that prove the rule. 

I love how Gene makes it sound like a pre-existing condition....:screwy:

On 8/7/2024 at 5:26 AM, delekkerste said:

And I have just one question for Cliff:  When are you posting the $3.3M Mike Zeck Secret Wars #8 page??? 

You know it makes sense...

I think his Frazetta paintings show that he has too much taste and financial astuteness to have spent $3.3m on a page that has no first appearances whatsoever.

On 8/7/2024 at 6:18 AM, Bronty said:

I don’t think that was him either.  

Anybody have any info on a death dealer 1 sale?

I imagine it was a straight private sale. It wasn't exactly hard to find and why involve a third party and its fees if you don't have to (total speculation).

Still I am interested in the price. I always assumed DD1 was the most valuable Frazetta but in talking to other collectors over the years it seems DD1 is something of the Edgar Allen Poe of Frazettas - easy to find, easy to digest, a bit overexposed maybe?? I still think its his most well known work if not his best. 

Edited by cstojano

On 8/7/2024 at 10:41 AM, cstojano said:

I imagine it was a straight private sale. It wasn't exactly hard to find and why involve a third party and its fees if you don't have to (total speculation).

Still I am interested in the price. I always assumed DD1 was the most valuable Frazetta but in talking to other collectors over the years it seems DD1 is something of the Edgar Allen Poe of Frazettas - easy to find, easy to digest, a bit overexposed maybe?? I still think its his most well known work if not his best. 

Well sure, of course it was private.   Maybe Comiclink will post that price in a while when another NDA lapses like it did for Conan the Adventurer (speculating).

Just kind of stunning that Frank's signature piece sold quietly for what had to be eight figures.

To your point, I think its his most valuable piece as well.    If he paid 8.75m plus commission (gotta be 10m or close) for Conan the Adventurer (and we don't know that it was him that bought it.. but come on) then I can't imagine Death Dealer was less, that's for sure.

On 8/7/2024 at 4:15 AM, delekkerste said:

I read in the New England Journal of Medicine that the incidence of adult onset original comicartophilia without prior infection to myocomicbookitis before age 25 is extremely rare, affecting less than 0.1% of collectors. 

Why am I getting a suddent flashback to Tim's post about convention hookers?

On 8/7/2024 at 7:53 AM, Bronty said:

Well sure, of course it was private.   Maybe Comiclink will post that price in a while when another NDA lapses like it did for Conan the Adventurer (speculating).

Just kind of stunning that Frank's signature piece sold quietly for what had to be eight figures.

To your point, I think its his most valuable piece as well.    If he paid 8.75m plus commission (gotta be 10m or close) for Conan the Adventurer (and we don't know that it was him that bought it.. but come on) then I can't imagine Death Dealer was less, that's for sure.

I assume the 8.75 includes commission, why would the dealer NOT want to juice the prices with the all in cost?

Glad we agree on DD1 being most valuable. I think its definitely the Gateway Frazetta for many. 

On 8/7/2024 at 11:23 AM, cstojano said:

I assume the 8.75 includes commission, why would the dealer NOT want to juice the prices with the all in cost?

Glad we agree on DD1 being most valuable. I think its definitely the Gateway Frazetta for many. 

The 8.75 does not include commission - see below.   Perhaps because clink doesn't want someone to know what the commission amount was.

clink.jpg

On 8/7/2024 at 11:23 AM, cstojano said:

Yes, and its just an image that caught on for whatever reason.   Its the one everyone knows.

On 8/7/2024 at 9:13 AM, Bronty said:

The 8.75 does not include commission - see below.   Perhaps because clink doesn't want someone to know what the commission amount was.

clink.jpg

Interesting, I think you are right. I suspect it was either very high or very low :)