• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Non-Billionaires Discussing Billionaires They Will Never Meet Who Buy Art To Show Other Billionaires
4 4

132 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2024 at 9:59 PM, stinkininkin said:

I feel like I didn't get the memo. Is something happening in the next few years specifically that is going to put the world in a zombie-apocalypse level recession? There is a sense of certainty about some of these prognostications that I would like to know about so I know what to prepare for (outside the normal fiscal gyrations we're all familiar with). 

Don Delilo described it as the “Toxic Airborne Event,” an ominous but nebulous threat. I didn’t understand the assignment either. I think the thought-exercise here is if it “all” comes tumbling down, do you have enough cash on hand to buy original comic art for pennies on the dollar? If we’re worried about scooping up OA during the “Next July 2007” or the “Challenge of the next two to eight years” crisis, I wouldn’t call it an apocalypse. I used it call it the 2-3 days before payday. Scott, If you survived the Great Recession, the Pandemic (the Cold War, Marvel’s bankruptcy, Y2K bug, avian flu outbreak, post-9/11…) I think you’re going to be just fine. This is just war games about expanding collections in times thick and thin.

:fear:

On 7/6/2024 at 10:59 PM, stinkininkin said:

I feel like I didn't get the memo. Is something happening in the next few years specifically that is going to put the world in a zombie-apocalypse level recession? There is a sense of certainty about some of these prognostications that I would like to know about so I know what to prepare for (outside the normal fiscal gyrations we're all familiar with). 

I found a brief explainer from Dr B. Rhymes. He’s a leading expert. 

On 7/7/2024 at 6:56 AM, gumbydarnit said:

the Great Recession, the Pandemic (the Cold War, Marvel’s bankruptcy, Y2K bug, avian flu outbreak, post-9/11

we didn’t start the fire
it was always burning

since the world’s been turning

:signfunny:

On 7/7/2024 at 10:26 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Started this thread with the best of intentions... should have known the Tin Foil Hats would show up :tonofbricks:

Nah, it’s a good thread. I think that’s just a couple of jokes. Legit tin foil hats would contribute with serious intent, albeit from a perspective that’s on one end of the spectrum. Loving this thread for everyone’s views and their “because” behind said views. Sometimes folks make their point through humor. That said, the more substantive commentary/explanation is of course more interesting. But either way, comments on the topic can’t help but come from one’s own macro-economic takes. Thanks for starting something thought-provoking.

On 7/6/2024 at 10:59 PM, stinkininkin said:

On 7/7/2024 at 12:19 AM, John E. said:

Don Delilo described it as the “Toxic Airborne Event,” an ominous but nebulous threat. I didn’t understand the assignment either. I think the thought-exercise here is if it “all” comes tumbling down, do you have enough cash on hand to buy original comic art for pennies on the dollar? If we’re worried about scooping up OA during the “Next July 2007” or the “Challenge of the next two to eight years” crisis, I wouldn’t call it an apocalypse. I used it call it the 2-3 days before payday. Scott, If you survived the Great Recession, the Pandemic (the Cold War, Marvel’s bankruptcy, Y2K bug, avian flu outbreak, post-9/11…) I think you’re going to be just fine. This is just war games about expanding collections in times thick and thin.

:fear:

It's true...I was actually trying to scare Albert, Felix, Scott and Richard Martines out of their substantial Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson holdings.

Curses Foiled Again GIF

What’s the play if the opposite happens?

Imagine the stock market continues to hit new highs, AI breakthroughs in healthcare, labor and energy flood the world in wealth. Most new comics are created digitally, making OA even rarer. Fans go from reading and watching movies to living out these stories in Augmented Reality.

What do we do as collector’s today if today’s OA prices double or triple in the near future?

Posted (edited)

This Bagley ASM 355 page has been around a lot recently. The original seller sold it for like $200 about 15 years ago. Then it sold on Comiclink for $2000 in 2021. It went to Heritage and I won it in 2022 for $1320 then I sold it last year privately for $1700 I believe only to see someone sell at a loss on Comicconnect!IMG_2622.thumb.png.833b180917bbb473b1c25674d03ff6b2.png

Edited by wolvergeek

On 7/7/2024 at 10:38 AM, Readcomix said:

Nah, it’s a good thread. I think that’s just a couple of jokes. Legit tin foil hats would contribute with serious intent, albeit from a perspective that’s on one end of the spectrum. Loving this thread for everyone’s views and their “because” behind said views. Sometimes folks make their point through humor. That said, the more substantive commentary/explanation is of course more interesting. But either way, comments on the topic can’t help but come from one’s own macro-economic takes. Thanks for starting something thought-provoking.

Yep, I don’t really think we are going to devolve into radioactive zombies that are killed by aliens. 😄

I’m interested, too, just posting something to amuse myself. 

On 7/7/2024 at 11:04 AM, Fischb1 said:

I never understood why so many people are willing to work themselves to the bone during their 30s/40s/50s so that they'll have a comfortable 70s and 80s. You're trading one in the hand for one that may be in the bush. And even if it is in the bush, you may be too infirm to appreciate it. And you know what's happening now? You're spry! You have cute little kids...

Oh man, I try to explain this to people all the time; the conversation goes nowhere. I retired at 38, and have really enjoyed living each and every minute "my way" the 14 years since. This is just completely beyond their comprehension.

On 7/7/2024 at 11:12 PM, Carl Elvis said:

What do we do as collector’s today if today’s OA prices double or triple in the near future?

Scoop up all of the egg from the faces of all of the doomsayers? 

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2024 at 1:51 PM, gumbydarnit said:

No jokes THIS TIME. I appreciate the gentle nudge to say tough times might be right around the corner. I think the world is at a stranger place now than anytime in my life, so I can understand the anxious feelings. And since this thread, I have given more than a passing thought to my family’s preparedness for hard times. So it was a good nudge, but also (slight drift) remember the more fearful state an online article puts you in, the more likely you are gonna read it and they can sell an ad. Doesn’t matter if it’s local or national, all media sources lead off with the story that will scare you the most and after a steady lifelong diet of being fed this our default setting tends to be fearful and pessimistic.

Start noticing are you clicking on articles that make you scared or angry more then ones that leave you happy and enlightened? I know I fight the battle constantly and it doesn’t help that we are having our fears stoked by TV and online sources. 

Remember it may not be as good as it was, but it’s not as bad as they (the media) would have you believe. 

the accompanying songs for this post are 

Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

and

Spanish Pipedream (Blow Up your TV song) - John Prine 

A late Joke Mode On addition 

It’s the End of the World as I Know It (and I Feel Fine) - REM

Exactly this. Remember to look at your awesome stuff and smile, because we do this to be happy. 

Edited by Latverian Tourism Board
Dumb fingers

On 7/7/2024 at 10:25 AM, wolvergeek said:

This Bagley ASM 355 page has been around a lot recently. The original seller sold it for like $200 about 15 years ago. Then it sold on Comiclink for $2000 in 2021. It went to Heritage and I won it in 2022 for $1320 then I sold it last year privately for $1700 I believe only to see someone sell at a loss on Comicconnect!IMG_2622.thumb.png.833b180917bbb473b1c25674d03ff6b2.png

Thanks for sharing this. I was a bidder in 2021 thinking I was going to get a Mark Bagley Punisher example for cheap. When it ended at $2K I lost all interest in subsequent auctions. Glad you were able to buy it for less and make a little off it while the seller got it less than the CLink auction. Those are market-friendly flips that I like! (thumbsu

On 7/7/2024 at 9:26 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Started this thread with the best of intentions... should have known the Tin Foil Hats would show up :tonofbricks:

I respectfully disagree, good sir. You got good testimonials from Gene and Felix, Scott Williams and TTH2. You got housing market analysis from Kevn and 1classics. Voudou did what he always does (love ya, bruh). If more…survivors…didn’t come forward it’s because most users/current participants in this board were not collecting art then. That was 17 years ago. A 35-year old collector today would’ve been about 18 then.