• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So just what is White and Off White and Cream and Tan and Brown and Brittle?
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a good handle on page colors for Bronze silver and Gold comics. I have read all I can read and still can't quite get a handle on when is off white off white and when is off white cream and when is cream cream and when is cream is light tan etc. I know that the owl card is no longer made, but I also understand it is useless even if you have one. So much I've read about different publishers using different paper stock, that even when new some white was cream right on the comic rack. It would be nice to look at a comic and know without much doubt what the pages would be called by TPG's.

So is there anyone that has any hints, tips, tricks, or better yet a real guide with pictures and colors that could clarify this for a bozo like me?

No rule that is applicable 100%, but often I can glean some indication of page quality looking at the inside covers.  If the white is bright, usually the interior paper has been kept nicely stored in proper climate.  Tanning interior cover burn transfer from the acidic interior paper can be a "tell" of improper storage and degradation of the paper.  Chipping edges can be anywhere from tan to brittle.  If the bag holding the book has tiny flakes of paper at the bottom - you're usually looking at a brittle book.