• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Til Death Do Us Part
2 2

65 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, glendgold said:

There is a Krazy Kat collector who has one of the best Sunday pages, a 5-star, A+ example that is all genius, no filler. He is literally, for real, not a metaphor, being buried with it.

Ask the Pharaohs how that thinking panned out.  Some of them have had 5,000 years to think about it...

On 7/15/2024 at 9:22 AM, pemart1966 said:

Ask the Pharaohs how that thinking panned out.  Some of them have had 5,000 years to think about it...

1 month ago, I was at the Royal Ontario Museum,
It teaches me a lesson.
you never know where you will end up.

Despite your better plans....

Edited by MagnusX

On 7/15/2024 at 11:43 AM, Nate Hartz said:

I have a wonderful collection that I enjoy and I know that my family doesn't appreciate it as much as I do. I have it in my will for my family to speak to specific people to a turn that over to take care of. In the will, I also have specific pieces that will go to people that would appreciate it and in the end, that's what's important to me. 

Please send me a list (with hi res photos) and I'll tell you which pieces I appreciate.  :bigsmile:

Edited by pemart1966

On 7/15/2024 at 7:46 AM, Michael Browning said:

I aspire to buy 200 pages a year, but have only hit that mark a couple times. Last year, I think I ended the year at just over 150 pieces, which was a sad year for me. lol

Good thing you don’t collect cars or you’d have to buy a parking garage!

Here is my admittedly controversial take.

I don't care what happens to my collection, my possessions, or my body after I die. I will be dead. I am sure I won't care about anything while being eaten by worms. My family knows this and can choose to learn about how to dispose of my collection if I don't sell before I die, Ninth Gate-style (see below, but the book better describes the process where the owner chooses which book to sell to live for the next six months). If they don't, it is their choice. They know I won't waste my time going after them to teach, as I abhor bureaucracy, but know I will help if they choose to learn about the books, art, and comics I have. My wife couldn't care less about my collection (other than a Laplace manuscript and a few choice books) and, like me, doesn't care much about money. She knows the most valuable items, so she may be able to maximize her return on those. The rest is up to her. HA? Sotheby's? Who knows? Again, I don't care about what happens to my things after I am done. I love my wife and my family, but it is not up to me to do estate planning. It is tedious and not something I will spend my precious time on; writing controversial things on niche message boards, on the other hand....

I have been open about this, and my wife is open about crossing that river when the time comes. She is a lawyer and intelligent enough not to be taken too much advantage of. But if she does, I won't be here to feel sorry for her. And if I live long enough for my brain to go and people to steal my things? I won't have my marbles to care anyway...

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfDsmbcrBJU

On 7/22/2024 at 1:39 PM, zhamlau said:

I have a friend who basically lives now on SS and his meager savings. He never married (but did have what could be considered a common law wife) or have children. He spent his life acquiring comic art. He has some absolutely beautiful covers and pages on his walls. I asked him once why he didn't just sell all of his art and live out his last days in greater comfort. He told me that these pieces of art were in a weird way like his children, he has loved and cherished them for most of his adult life and still finds them fascinating and special.

I'd put it this way:   he has something special, something to be proud of.   If he sells them, the money will go pretty quick and the art will be gone too and then he's got nothing to feel good about.

It could be anything - comics, art, a piece of property, a collection of coins, whatever.   

Its really pretty common; I've seen many collectors in similar situations.

A certain boardie pointed out to me that this kind of thing is often more about that collector's relationship with money than about the collector's relationship with the collectibles.   I think there's truth in that.    They don't trust themselves with the proceeds.

Edited by Bronty

On 7/22/2024 at 12:02 PM, Bronty said:
On 7/22/2024 at 11:39 AM, zhamlau said:

I have a friend who basically lives now on SS and his meager savings. He never married (but did have what could be considered a common law wife) or have children. He spent his life acquiring comic art. He has some absolutely beautiful covers and pages on his walls. I asked him once why he didn't just sell all of his art and live out his last days in greater comfort. He told me that these pieces of art were in a weird way like his children, he has loved and cherished them for most of his adult life and still finds them fascinating and special.

I'd put it this way:   he has something special, something to be proud of.   If he sells them, the money will go pretty quick and the art will be gone too and then he's got nothing to feel good about.

It could be anything - comics, art, a piece of property, a collection of coins, whatever.   

Its really pretty common; I've seen many collectors in similar situations.

A certain boardie pointed out to me that this kind of thing is often more about that collector's relationship with money than about the collector's relationship with the collectibles.   I think there's truth in that.    They don't trust themselves with the proceeds.

Bottom line, why would we sell something we love?  And realistically, all my life's basic needs are already more than taken care of and I can think of nothing I'd be willing to sell my collection for.  

That being said I think it's wise to have an exit strategy even if that strategy isn't triggered until we die.  Why make it hard on our families to sell our stuff?

On 7/22/2024 at 2:53 PM, thehumantorch said:

Bottom line, why would we sell something we love?  And realistically, all my life's basic needs are already more than taken care of and I can think of nothing I'd be willing to sell my collection for.  

That being said I think it's wise to have an exit strategy even if that strategy isn't triggered until we die.  Why make it hard on our families to sell our stuff?

agreed, and I think that realization comes with age for most people.   At 30, selling out for a big check sounds appealing.   By the time someone is quite a bit older, they either

1.  Have money; or

2.  Have accepted that they don't have money and have learned to be okay with it.

Either way, money moves the needle less as you age (barring medical or other emergencies ).

Edited by Bronty

On 7/22/2024 at 9:58 AM, tth2 said:

???

I gave you my reasoning. What exactly is unclear to you? I won't spend time doing something boring like that. I am also not an American, for what it is worth, so American tax considerations do not apply. Still, if my family wants to do my estate planning and have me sign it, I will gladly do it. I won't do it for them, but they are okay with it. 

On 7/23/2024 at 4:01 AM, bernoulli said:

I gave you my reasoning. What exactly is unclear to you? I won't spend time doing something boring like that. I am also not an American, for what it is worth, so American tax considerations do not apply. Still, if my family wants to do my estate planning and have me sign it, I will gladly do it. I won't do it for them, but they are okay with it. 

Years before my father died, he asked my brother and I for lists of things we wanted to inherit. We gave him the lists, which he saved, and he made another list of who gets what in the event of conflicts. None of this was in any wills or trusts.

Funny thing, though, after he died, neither my brother nor I felt the same way about stuff we thought we wanted, and ended up giving many pieces to our nieces and nephews, or each other. Still and all, it was a good idea and requires little effort on your part. 

On 7/23/2024 at 7:48 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Still and all, it was a good idea and requires little effort on your part. 

And it is an expression of love toward those you leave behind; to use your expertise that they do not share in order to leave them in better financial shape.

On 7/23/2024 at 8:52 PM, Readcomix said:

And it is an expression of love toward those you leave behind; to use your expertise that they do not share in order to leave them in better financial shape.

The idea that love is expressed through leaving somebody in whatever financial shape looks pretty American, and I firmly oppose it. You may believe that if you want, but I find it in poor taste that you believe other people should agree that love must be expressed through financial means. Ugh!

My family comprises adults who can choose to handle their finances how they see fit. Love has nothing to do with it. It seems you have misunderstood my post. They will get my help if they want, as long as they don't ask me to do all the hard work while they go on with their business. They know that. My wife is a lawyer. She won't be easily taken advantage of. @Rick2you2, who I think is a lawyer, got it right. People make lists of what they want and voila, problem solved. I think my family won't want anything, so they will sell my stuff and divide the money. If they choose to fight over money (which I doubt), so be it. Why should I adjudicate these issues before I die if they don't care about them? Again, I understand my position is unconventional, but to imply that I don't love my family because of this is absurd. I know many families fight over money. Mine don't. If they want to start after I die, I don't care. I will be dead.

On 7/23/2024 at 12:08 PM, bernoulli said:

The idea that love is expressed through leaving somebody in whatever financial shape looks pretty American, and I firmly oppose it. You may believe that if you want, but I find it in poor taste that you believe other people should agree that love must be expressed through financial means. Ugh!

My family comprises adults who can choose to handle their finances how they see fit. Love has nothing to do with it. It seems you have misunderstood my post. They will get my help if they want, as long as they don't ask me to do all the hard work while they go on with their business. They know that. My wife is a lawyer. She won't be easily taken advantage of. @Rick2you2, who I think is a lawyer, got it right. People make lists of what they want and voila, problem solved. I think my family won't want anything, so they will sell my stuff and divide the money. If they choose to fight over money (which I doubt), so be it. Why should I adjudicate these issues before I die if they don't care about them? Again, I understand my position is unconventional, but to imply that I don't love my family because of this is absurd. I know many families fight over money. Mine don't. If they want to start after I die, I don't care. I will be dead.

I just wanted to mention that if someone dies without a will, the property passes by way of intestacy—legal rules dividing up who gets what. They are handled by an administrator appointed by the court, unless the decedent had designated an executor. Administrators have to get permission to act on everything through the court system, so things can take a really long time and create a burden on the survivors. I obviously don’t know your law, but if you have something similar, you may want to get something written up which designates your wife as the executor. In my case, my brother and I were co-executors, so we had the authority to do that. Then, when your wife faces the problem, it makes her handling of the estate much easier because she doesn’t always have to go to court. And yes, I plead guilty.

Edited by Rick2you2