• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rehold, Not Rehold, or Return
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

New at buying comics and slabs. I recently bought a set of gold, silver, and regular Spider-Man #1. All three have a 9.8 grade in older slabs. All three slabs can easily open on the sides about a quarter of an inch wide and the posts seem intact. I can’t tell if they’ve been messed with.

Questions

1. Should I be worried about the ability to open the sides?

2. If I submit to be reholded, is there a high chance it will get regraded? I’m hearing different things.

Would really appreciate some guidance. 

Thanks!

IMG_7138.jpeg

IMG_7144.jpeg

1. Should I be worried about the ability to open the sides?

A year ago, i would have said "nothing to worry about".  Though there are some nefarious people who figured out how to open the slabs and swap the books out. 

cgc has a list of books that are suspected of being tampered with and you can look up the cert # to see if they are on the list.  

There is a small chance a book not on their list has also been tampered with.  I would inspect the book carefully to ensure it's actually the grade that was assigned to it.  If the book has creases or many spine tics or stains, and is otherwise not a 9.8, you should be concerned. 

If you don't see those obvious indicators and your book is not on the CGC list, I wouldn't be concerned and I wouldn't reholder. 

2. If I submit to be reholded, is there a high chance it will get regraded? I’m hearing different things.

Assuming the books haven't been tampered with or otherwise damaged, you could have them reholdered without regrading.

If however, you send in the book and CGC thinks "this book has been damaged" - they might regrade the book. 

My advice:  check the CGC list for the cert number (i think if you just look up the books by the cert #, you'll see a notice that says "this book has issues".) 

Assuming the books aren't on the list, inspect them carefully to ensure there aren't obvious signs of tampering or the books not being of the grade assigned. 

If they look good - don't waste $$ reholdering. 

I'm a big fan of that case style.  Thinner than the current generation (can store more of them), and you could use a sheet of cardstock to slide between the plastic layers to remove newton rings.  I have a couple first generation slabs and they seem ready to fall apart.

I'd normally say "rehold" because I love the new design, but until CGC figures out their quality control issues in the encapsulation department, I can't recommend this course of action. Hold on to them "as is" for the moment.