• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Definitive Wonder Woman Story, does one exist?

10 posts in this topic

It is that time of summer and I need to start planning for a guest lecture on "Alternative Story Telling in Media" which includes a segment on comic books and digital (legal) copies of the material provided to the students.

For the past couple of years I have included the following:

1. Superman: Red Son or All Star Superman
  2. Batman the Dark Knight Returns or The Long Halloween or Year One
  3. X-Men: God Loves Man Kills
  4. A public domain mix of Female Superhero stories
  5. Papergirls (a recent addition last year)

I would like to stick to 5 graphic novels/TPB's to keep a short tight list and I would really like to replace the public domain books with a Wonder Woman story equivalent to the first three but I am drawing a complete blank and the google machine is no help. Conversely I am also open to other character suggestions as long as they are self contained (not multiple books), From Marvel/DC as I can pull trades freely for educational purposes (I have ask for permission for other sources), "newish" the PD stuff has gone over like a lead balloon, and be female character focused to balance the list.

Any help would be appreciated

Here is Lynda Carter for attention:

image.gif.c2fa564654ee944862b4e819ffb183c0.gif

Cavert:  I have not read these, and these are not Wonder Woman, but I have heard they are quite good, and might be the basis for the new Supergirl movie they are making.  Also comes in an "Omnibus" format, I think.  

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/comics/series/supergirl-woman-of-tomorrow/0e8f2a1d-a627-4286-a3c7-f88c7e458a63?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=organic_dccomics&utm_campaign=film_clicks&utm_content=20230131_SupergirlWomanOfTomorrow_static&linkId=199362631

GIven you already have a Superman segment, it might also be duplicative or too similar.  I don't know, like I said, haven't read.  But might be worth investigating.  

On 7/17/2024 at 3:04 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

I thought he was asking about Wonder Woman only?

Ideally I was looking for a Wonder Woman story, more for my personal bias but more than willing to take any recommendations. 

On 7/17/2024 at 10:23 AM, chrisco37 said:

Maybe V for Vendetta (strong female lead character) ????  

I love V for Vendetta but do not include it as it can just be a bit too on the nose or just interpreted in opposite of its meaning, same with Watchmen. Both can suffer from the "Starship Troopers" Movie bias. I have had people try and explain in detail how the Norsefire Government (or contrasting V), Ozymandias, and Rorschach were the actual "heroes" in the books to be admired/idealized.

Thanks everyone for the quick recommendations, I am going to definitely check out WW: Hiketeia and Supergirl: WoT. From the synopsis Hiketeia sounds like a great read.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:40 PM, DougC said:

Ideally I was looking for a Wonder Woman story, more for my personal bias but more than willing to take any recommendations. 

I love V for Vendetta but do not include it as it can just be a bit too on the nose or just interpreted in opposite of its meaning, same with Watchmen. Both can suffer from the "Starship Troopers" Movie bias. I have had people try and explain in detail how the Norsefire Government (or contrasting V), Ozymandias, and Rorschach were the actual "heroes" in the books to be admired/idealized.

Thanks everyone for the quick recommendations, I am going to definitely check out WW: Hiketeia and Supergirl: WoT. From the synopsis Hiketeia sounds like a great read.

I liked Rorschach :(