• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hard to sell cgc
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Anyone else have a hard time moving their cgc slabs? 

I don't understand why they are underpriced and not appreciated as much as others. 

I've tried doing trades for cards and most laugh when I say I have cgc. But cgc is one of the big 3 so I don't get it.

It's great when I'm buying for my personal collection but if I want to move my own cards it's rough.

In the trading card circles, most of which is high-end stuff, I'm involved with, CGC is now perceived as a low end junk grading/slabbing service.

Before the "Omega" deal was underway the perception differed as their was cautious optimism that CGC could present some challenge to Newport CA based PSA. Customers of course benefit from True competition not to mention it encourages innovation. Coupled with the label change and more than 1 "10" grade it's now pretty much universal collector/seller negative perception

With Collectibles; Negative Perception is easy to obtain, and very very very difficult to remove. Positive takes a long time until trust is built gradually. CGC threw any chance of positive perception away with the Omega deal. I'm sure some of the Exec's got a nice bonus for the short-term cash grab but now CGC at best is relegated to 3rd string grading company status, and thats only because PSA's parent purchased SGC this year, otherwise they would have been 4th.

BTW: Count me in as one who genuinely wanted CGC to succeed in court of collector/seller perception with Card Grading. I had zero desire to continue w/the folks in Newport CA but now as before I've no choice.

Edited by MAR1979

With Pokémon and Disney I typically don’t do CGC. I find PSA to command too much of a premium over every other grading company.

With everything else I grade Weiss, wixoss etc.

It doesn’t really matter who grades. All reflect relatively the same secondary market pricing.

I like chasing the pristine labels and would rather have one of those than a PSA 10.

I've cracked so many PSA 10s with whitening/surface defects. Regardless of market share I don't respect their grading.

Consistency is more valuable. The Pristine 10s I've seen are consistently better quality. Easily crossed too.

Edited by Le Chat Noir

Yea I also don't understand the hate, at the end of the day these are all the same cards. People act like they make special edition cards just for PSA or something that makes them worth more. I feel like PSA grading is so way more inconsistent and you have card quality and grades all over the place compared to CGC which imo tends to be more strict and consistent. While I prefer CGC slabs as they are superior quality as well as how clear and open they are, I think most people these days have just gotten lazy. I've picked up so many misgraded PSA cards that I've easily crossed over to CGC for a few bucks, the sad part is most collectors are looking for an easy flip and can't be bother to crossover cards because they're too lazy. The funny part is when people try to tell me PSA 10s are worth way more than CGC Pristine 10s.....until PSA implements a tier above Gem Mint 10 you're going to have too much variation from cards that truly are flawless 10s also being mixed in with barely 10s (i.e. 9.5s essentially). At least with CGC and BGS you have your standard Gem Mint 10 (which by the way is the same grading criteria as PSA Gem Mint 10) and then your CGC Pristine 10 and BGS Black Label card which are more flawless cards. Kinda hope CGC would bring back subgrades that way people would understand that CGC Pristine 10s have 3 or 4 subgrades that are 10s which is why they're a tier above Gem Mint 10.

On 7/25/2024 at 4:02 PM, NuM_Brrr_WoN said:

Yea I also don't understand the hate, at the end of the day these are all the same cards. People act like they make special edition cards just for PSA or something that makes them worth more. I feel like PSA grading is so way more inconsistent and you have card quality and grades all over the place compared to CGC which imo tends to be more strict and consistent. While I prefer CGC slabs as they are superior quality as well as how clear and open they are, I think most people these days have just gotten lazy. I've picked up so many misgraded PSA cards that I've easily crossed over to CGC for a few bucks, the sad part is most collectors are looking for an easy flip and can't be bother to crossover cards because they're too lazy. The funny part is when people try to tell me PSA 10s are worth way more than CGC Pristine 10s.....until PSA implements a tier above Gem Mint 10 you're going to have too much variation from cards that truly are flawless 10s also being mixed in with barely 10s (i.e. 9.5s essentially). At least with CGC and BGS you have your standard Gem Mint 10 (which by the way is the same grading criteria as PSA Gem Mint 10) and then your CGC Pristine 10 and BGS Black Label card which are more flawless cards. Kinda hope CGC would bring back subgrades that way people would understand that CGC Pristine 10s have 3 or 4 subgrades that are 10s which is why they're a tier above Gem Mint 10.

At the end of the day, it's the same card regardless of who's grading. If it's truly valuable, there's nothing a pair of pliers/screwdriver can't fix. I'd say for most modern cards, PSA 10 is too low of a ceiling. In actuality many of them are "9.5" in disguise (flaws visible on scans). I think the market will catch on, once they try cracking/crossing a few Pristine 10s. I know I have. :50849494_winkemoji:

Personally I miss the subgrades and "Perfect" 10s.

Edited by Le Chat Noir

Collectors tend to be fickle regarding their collections, which means if they've been collecting PSA or BGS for years, it's going to be difficult to ask them to buy into a new grading service. With a new service collectors have to see that the grading is accurate/consistent, that the market views them as legitimate, and also be okay with breaking up the uniformity of their collections. Right now I'm buying CGC Pristine 10s, but that's only because I'm comfortable with the current pricing for the most part and think they have the biggest opportunity to increase in value. It's really going to depend on the pop counts and the rates at which Pristines and Perfects are given out. The elimination of subgrades was a total blunder on CGC's part and is going to make it all that much harder for them to be taken seriously by collectors. 

On 7/17/2024 at 11:57 PM, Deltadude said:

Anyone else have a hard time moving their cgc slabs? 

I don't understand why they are underpriced and not appreciated as much as others. 

I've tried doing trades for cards and most laugh when I say I have cgc. But cgc is one of the big 3 so I don't get it.

It's great when I'm buying for my personal collection but if I want to move my own cards it's rough.

Tbh, 

I've been collecting for 25+ years and recently got back into Pokemon from Sports Cards... I prefer heavily the CGC Pristine. 

People haven't caught up yet.. The pop Reports on PSA are crazy... Pristine is already beating it. Just bought a membership through CGC... I Could be wrong, but I'll take the chance.

On 8/18/2024 at 6:15 PM, Jgreen32 said:

Tbh, 

I've been collecting for 25+ years and recently got back into Pokemon from Sports Cards... I prefer heavily the CGC Pristine. 

People haven't caught up yet.. The pop Reports on PSA are crazy... Pristine is already beating it. Just bought a membership through CGC... I Could be wrong, but I'll take the chance.

^ I second this statement.