• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm so done with cgc
1 1

24 posts in this topic

The information on the case is the book I should have. Marvel Superheroes 20 was literally my prized possession in my collection. And now because of the Doctor Doom hype in the movies replacing that is way more costly. They sent the info to their signature team but LOL I'm sure that will result in finding my book. How you screw those up is beyond me. It's not even the same publisher, it doesn't even look remotely close. I'm sure whoever got my book is pretty stoked to get something way more valuable than this piece of . 

I highly doubt I will ever see my book again. The person I'm chatting to is also not giving me the information to contact the supervisor or manager directly.

Last month I had to fight with them to get a book back from them, and now this?

PXL_20240718_210022793.jpg

PXL_20240718_210026709.jpg

PXL_20240718_210020858.jpg

Even better, in a rare moment of being thorough, they actually had images of the book! So, with ALL the stages these go through, they even imaged it and STILL missed it?

Jesus, with all the negative press they've been getting you'd think for a high profile signature series, they'd be better than this. I am guessing the JLA book I got holds sentimental value since it's not a pricey book, which makes it even worse. Money is one thing, but losing something of personal value is much worse. I hope once they get this back they can figure out who it belongs to.

cgc crewup.PNG

Yikes. On so many levels yikes. 

This is also the first CGC SS of this book in any grade…. And they put it in the wrong holder:

IMG_3230.thumb.jpeg.4ad36e94183b2199c5a23d4adc6390b8.jpeg

This is such an odd book to get signed, that I agree it was definitely someone’s sentimental value copy. 

On 7/18/2024 at 5:34 PM, wiparker824 said:

Yikes. On so many levels yikes. 

This is also the first CGC SS of this book in any grade…. And they put it in the wrong holder:

IMG_3230.thumb.jpeg.4ad36e94183b2199c5a23d4adc6390b8.jpeg

This is such an odd book to get signed, that I agree it was definitely someone’s sentimental value copy. 

Wow, this definitely was sentimental then. My book also has an extremely low population as well. One of 46 signature series as of yesterday.

On 7/18/2024 at 3:41 PM, lollyclown said:

Wow, this definitely was sentimental then. My book also has an extremely low population as well. One of 46 signature series as of yesterday.

Hopefully they’ve not sent your book out to whoever else yet… because yeah, the book you got is a $5 book raw. FWIW I’ve seen others post on here about this happening specifically at signings… I’m sure it happens with blue labels too I just don’t recall them. Here’s a couple past instances:

In both cases it looks like you have to go thru the ME / customer service process and cross your fingers.

I’m still waiting on all 7 books I sent in for this signing and I’m starting to wonder if I’m going to get sent back some random books now too when they do get around to grading mine. Certainly making me hesitate on sending anymore out for future signings.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:06 PM, wiparker824 said:

Hopefully they’ve not sent your book out to whoever else yet… because yeah, the book you got is a $5 book raw. FWIW I’ve seen others post on here about this happening specifically at signings… I’m sure it happens with blue labels too I just don’t recall them. Here’s a couple past instances:

In both cases it looks like you have to go thru the ME / customer service process and cross your fingers.

I’m still waiting on all 7 books I sent in for this signing and I’m starting to wonder if I’m going to get sent back some random books now too when they do get around to grading mine. Certainly making me hesitate on sending anymore out for future signings.

I hope they don't screw yours up. I saw another post where someone got theirs back with only 2 out of 5 signatures on their book. This particular signing was a giant mess. A lot of damaged holders, questionable grades, damaged books. Good lord. And even worse is I have another book with them for the Michelinie signing, so who knows what I'll end up getting back.

On 7/18/2024 at 4:28 PM, lollyclown said:

The information on the case is the book I should have. Marvel Superheroes 20 was literally my prized possession in my collection. And now because of the Doctor Doom hype in the movies replacing that is way more costly. They sent the info to their signature team but LOL I'm sure that will result in finding my book. How you screw those up is beyond me. It's not even the same publisher, it doesn't even look remotely close. I'm sure whoever got my book is pretty stoked to get something way more valuable than this piece of . 

I highly doubt I will ever see my book again. The person I'm chatting to is also not giving me the information to contact the supervisor or manager directly.

Last month I had to fight with them to get a book back from them, and now this?

PXL_20240718_210022793.jpg

PXL_20240718_210026709.jpg

PXL_20240718_210020858.jpg

I hope you declared the max value of $400 on this submission so you can hopefully be made whole.

CGC will absolutely only give you the very lowest amount possible, also make sure you are refunded your submission fee's, shipping, and processing. They are also very likely to offer "account credit" vice cash reimbursement first, that is up to you but always demand more if you take the credit cause that is just get off the hook free money to CGC.

Fwiw @lollyclown I had a similar switch happen to me, but I was on the other end - CGC contacted me to say the book I had received from a facilitated signing wasn’t mine, and the owner of my book had identified the swap. These were the same book in about the same grade, so not as blatantly obvious a switch (I certainly would never have noticed), but to their credit CGC was able to track down both sides of the mistaken swap.

To be clear, sorting it all out took them a lot longer than I would have wanted, put the facilitator in a really awkward position, and there was nothing more than a ‘sorry our bad’ from CGC; that said, at the end of the day both parties ended up with the right book.

On 7/18/2024 at 9:32 PM, DougC said:

I hope you declared the max value of $400 on this submission so you can hopefully be made whole.

CGC will absolutely only give you the very lowest amount possible, also make sure you are refunded your submission fee's, shipping, and processing. They are also very likely to offer "account credit" vice cash reimbursement first, that is up to you but always demand more if you take the credit cause that is just get off the hook free money to CGC.

I did max on the insurance, but I've heard that takes weeks or months even. For all I know somebody stole it. Wouldn't be the first time there. 

Or a month and a half ago I had a huge nightmare trying to get a refund from them for them overcharging me and they still have the book, even though nothing has been done with it. It's still in the original folder and all they have to do is put it in a box and send back. I didn't even get all the money back. I got 110 out of 140 but after the nightmare I went through I said screw it I don't care about the 30 bucks I just want to be done with you people, get me my other book back to me and we're all good.

And then they get this book back to me...

Hell part of me thinks that I annoyed the guy who dealt with me on the other book so much that he just went and talked to his buddies in the signature team area and told them to screw with me. Maybe it's paranoid but it also seems to be on par with the quality of employee and service they have these days.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:10 PM, dbcn said:

Fwiw @lollyclown I had a similar switch happen to me, but I was on the other end - CGC contacted me to say the book I had received from a facilitated signing wasn’t mine, and the owner of my book had identified the swap. These were the same book in about the same grade, so not as blatantly obvious a switch (I certainly would never have noticed), but to their credit CGC was able to track down both sides of the mistaken swap.

To be clear, sorting it all out took them a lot longer than I would have wanted, put the facilitator in a really awkward position, and there was nothing more than a ‘sorry our bad’ from CGC; that said, at the end of the day both parties ended up with the right book.

That's good that that worked out, I'm not holding my breath. That book is gone and I'll never see it again and they won't give a flock.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:18 PM, lollyclown said:

And then they get this book back to me...

Hell part of me thinks that I annoyed the guy who dealt with me on the other book so much that he just went and talked to his buddies in the signature team area and told them to screw with me. Maybe it's paranoid but it also seems to be on par with the quality of employee and service they have these days.

Retaliation on this level would be obvious and should get multiple employee's fired; so while I love a good conspiracy it is doubtful it happened that way but the optics are terrible given your recent experiences. Given the amount of QC failures (especially from this op) a breakdown of this level is often institutional and a reflection of quality management style and the managers. 

For what it is worth I do hope you get your book returned to you and CGC does what they need to do to fix this.

So here's an update, I had to contact them via text for some clarification on how to send this incorrect book back to them, the CSR said they were going to look up my ticket and then started asking me questions about what happened and how I got the wrong book... Like they did not see anything in the notes. I told them to go back and reread the whole thing and that I don't need him to talk to me about it because he doesn't know anything, and just answer my questions about how to ship the book back. Still kept trying to ask me questions about what happened and I told him you know what I'll figure it out myself and the next person I want to hear from is a supervisor replying to my email by the end of their business day at 8:00 p.m. EST today or I was going to take printouts of all these texts where they have refused to speak to a supervisor multiple times, and go to my bank and begin the chargeback process for everything I've given to them. Guess what? 15 minutes later get an email from a supervisor. When they lose your book it's no big hurry to talk to you about it but when you threaten their money they are immediately on it. His response was a whole bunch of non-answers and asked me to call him, to which I responded no because I want everything to do with this in writing. I don't want to get some phone promise and no way to verify it if somebody disagrees with it.

Update 

So I have been in contact with a supervisor and director of the signature series. I was told they actually have my book, and I sent the other one back to them and it arrived on Thursday. It was addressed to a specific person so hopefully it actually got where it needs to go. 

Communication has improved. I've not been the most pleasant but when you see that this particular signing is played with problems, and you wait patiently for your book to come back and it turns out it has one of the biggest problems you can get, well I'd like to see anybody who doesn't get po'd.

They have been at San Diego Comic-Con throughout the week and hopefully I will get an actual update. I'm kicking myself for not asking for photographic proof that they have mine before I sent the other book back in. Because honestly, it is most likely far-fetched, but there's a 5% part of me that wonders if they actually do have my book or if it was a way to ensure that the other book came back. I was told they can't send me mine till they get that one back. Which in and of itself makes sense, and hopefully that is what's happening.

It's sad that I have to even doubt what they are telling me, but given this problem and the one from a month and a half ago, and how bad communication is between people. If you ever have an issue I advise demanding that you just get put in touch with a single person. Because as soon as more than two people get involved in something it seems incorrect information grows at an exponential rate. Which is 100% of the reason why this time around I demanded to speak to a supervisor, I didn't want to get multiple explanations that contradict each other so I wanted one person to talk to.

So hopefully saying they found it doesn't mean that wrong information is being communicated and suddenly my found book turns out to not be the right one, and mine continues to be lost.

On 7/28/2024 at 6:26 PM, davidking623 said:

It's ironic every time I try to get the courage to send books in I see another story that is wrong . With the grading service having a sale for July I was just starting to get the courage to send in and then I see this .

I will pass again , oh well !

On 7/28/2024 at 5:40 PM, lollyclown said:

Update 

So I have been in contact with a supervisor and director of the signature series. I was told they actually have my book, and I sent the other one back to them and it arrived on Thursday. It was addressed to a specific person so hopefully it actually got where it needs to go. 

Communication has improved. I've not been the most pleasant but when you see that this particular signing is played with problems, and you wait patiently for your book to come back and it turns out it has one of the biggest problems you can get, well I'd like to see anybody who doesn't get po'd.

They have been at San Diego Comic-Con throughout the week and hopefully I will get an actual update. I'm kicking myself for not asking for photographic proof that they have mine before I sent the other book back in. Because honestly, it is most likely far-fetched, but there's a 5% part of me that wonders if they actually do have my book or if it was a way to ensure that the other book came back. I was told they can't send me mine till they get that one back. Which in and of itself makes sense, and hopefully that is what's happening.

It's sad that I have to even doubt what they are telling me, but given this problem and the one from a month and a half ago, and how bad communication is between people. If you ever have an issue I advise demanding that you just get put in touch with a single person. Because as soon as more than two people get involved in something it seems incorrect information grows at an exponential rate. Which is 100% of the reason why this time around I demanded to speak to a supervisor, I didn't want to get multiple explanations that contradict each other so I wanted one person to talk to.

So hopefully saying they found it doesn't mean that wrong information is being communicated and suddenly my found book turns out to not be the right one, and mine continues to be lost.

Photographic proof exists, just check the scans for your cert number:

IMG_3294.thumb.jpeg.127d5e51a8330dec028b091f50603fd6.jpeg

when they make mistakes like this they keep the cert usually and just update everything else.

On 7/29/2024 at 8:54 AM, wiparker824 said:

Photographic proof exists, just check the scans for your cert number:

IMG_3294.thumb.jpeg.127d5e51a8330dec028b091f50603fd6.jpeg

when they make mistakes like this they keep the cert usually and just update everything else.

Where did you find this, or rather when? This is absolutely new as of today, I haven't even seen it or got a notification about it from anyone there.

On 7/29/2024 at 9:25 AM, lollyclown said:

Where did you find this, or rather when? This is absolutely new as of today, I haven't even seen it or got a notification about it from anyone there.

You just have to look up your cert number in the tool they provide:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

like I said they rarely change the cert numbers on these sorts of errors, they keep the cert, correct the label and the book, scan and send it out. 

In any case it looks like you’ll be getting it back soon, which is good news. Still unfortunate this happened.

Posted (edited)
On 7/29/2024 at 11:29 AM, wiparker824 said:

You just have to look up your cert number in the tool they provide:

https://www.cgccomics.com/certlookup/

like I said they rarely change the cert numbers on these sorts of errors, they keep the cert, correct the label and the book, scan and send it out. 

In any case it looks like you’ll be getting it back soon, which is good news. Still unfortunate this happened.

Yup, I'm aware of the cert lookup,but the fact you saw this before I did is...wow. But here's the thing, because of your reply, I check my account, I see it has changed in status on my account page, so I grabbed the cert # from that since it is new, and...item not found. There's not even an updated scan on my account page.

I had to copy the one from what you just posted to find it. Nobody there could have shot me an email, anything? Good grief. Well, I truly genuinely appreciate you finding this, otherwise I would still be sitting here waiting for a reply from not one, but three possible people at this point. Which is pretty absurd. Never would have thought to check the old cert #. I *am* however extremely pleased they found me one of the retired Doom custom labels.

cgc wrong cert number.PNG

Edited by lollyclown

On 7/29/2024 at 9:35 AM, lollyclown said:

Yup, I'm aware of the cert lookup,but the fact you saw this before I did is...wow. But here's the thing, because of your reply, I check my account, I see it has changed in status on my account page, so I grabbed the cert # from that since it is new, and...item not found.

I had to copy the one from what you just posted to find it. Nobody there could have shot me an email, anything? Good grief. Well, I truly genuinely appreciate you finding this, otherwise I would still be sitting here waiting for a reply from not one, but three possible people at this point. Which is pretty absurd. Never would have thought to check the old cert #. I *am* however extremely pleased they found me one of the retired Doom custom labels.

cgc wrong cert number.PNG

I of course didn’t have the new one, and quite honestly am surprised they even issued a new one. But the old one is THE cert number it appears since that’s what’s on the slabIMG_3294.jpeg.897975fc1e8da3bec3dac119b1553775.jpeg

When you said they needed you to send the book you received back first before they sent this one out I assumed this is why. They need to get the incorrectly labeled book back before they can send one that has the exact same cert number out.