• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil #8 - FARGIN SCOTCH TAPE
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

Looking for a grade on this great copy of Stilt Man’s first appearance.  The downside of buying from a superb collection from an 80 year old collector is they still use scotch tape and this one got snagged the first time out of the bag :cry: (see back cover, last pic).  Wondering how much it’ll get dinged for that.  Actual book is brighter and less gray than this morning light really reflects (the close ups are more accurate), but you get the idea.  Thanks!

IUTwZEm.jpeg

HzUv4d2.jpeg

8yhxUvr.jpeg

8gLDm50.jpeg

dFZjuA3.jpeg

vmScHJC.jpeg

jqo4Agt.jpeg

oOD6zd3.jpeg

jfRJscY.jpeg

kezuc8j.jpeg

aP9Tzdx.jpeg

IiTsAOF.jpeg

ld9KnDZ.jpeg

n46AZak.jpeg

NYUONeR.jpeg

Hjme7rp.jpeg

59AR6LP.jpeg

On 7/25/2024 at 8:54 AM, zzutak said:

Those nutty senior citizens.  :pullhair:  However, some may note that the real misstep was not removing the tape before removing the comic.  Just sayin'.  :foryou:

How dare you 😂!  And yes, lesson learned. 

Those nutty senior citizens.  :pullhair:  However, some may note that the real misstep was not removing the tape before removing the comic.  Just sayin'.  :foryou:

Also, I should note as a fun fact that none of these books were bagged or boarded before they were sold to me.  They were sitting peacefully in boxes or crates for 50+ years, while we argue endlessly about which Mylar/board/bag is the best one B|

1st let me say, nice book, DD 8 has a lot of sentimental value to me, it is one of the 1st books I ever bought new, Enjoy That Book!!! Now...

HEY!!! I am one of those nutty senior citizens. :preach: 

I learned my lesson back in 2015 while grading/photographing/cataloging my collection, I did remove the tape from the bag prior to removing the book, however, I laid the bag down, tape side facing up and then without thinking laid the book front cover down on the bag, we all know what happened, a nice tear at the top left, and guess what...

image.jpeg.1d03a7f43da125a8c8e6588d6c9b9bcf.jpeg

I repaired the tear on the inside of the front cover with...Tape. :whatthe:  :smile:

Daredevil-131-GD-VG-3-0-or-FN-5-5-Withou

I now use these to keep the bags closed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Avery-Removable-Print-Write-Color-Coding-Labels-3-4-Pack-of-1008-5472/15078669?athcpid=15078669&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=siext&athieid=v0&athstid=CS055~CS004&athguid=G96svi2ne5_TVbYLCI6E9nyc0OwoCcwfZDs4&athancid=641238878&athposb=1&athena=true

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2024 at 10:56 AM, marvelmaniac said:

1st let me say, nice book, DD 8 has a lot of sentimental value to me, it is one of the 1st books I ever bought new, Enjoy That Book!!! Now...

HEY!!! I am one of those nutty senior citizens. :preach: 

I learned my lesson back in 2015 while grading/photographing/cataloging my collection, I did remove the tape from the bag prior to removing the book, however, I laid the bag down, tape side facing up and then without thinking laid the book front cover down on the bag, we all know what happened, a nice tear at the top left, and guess what...

image.jpeg.1d03a7f43da125a8c8e6588d6c9b9bcf.jpeg

I repaired the tear on the inside of the front cover with...Tape. :whatthe:  :smile:

Daredevil-131-GD-VG-3-0-or-FN-5-5-Withou

I now use these to keep the bags closed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Avery-Removable-Print-Write-Color-Coding-Labels-3-4-Pack-of-1008-5472/15078669?athcpid=15078669&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=siext&athieid=v0&athstid=CS055~CS004&athguid=G96svi2ne5_TVbYLCI6E9nyc0OwoCcwfZDs4&athancid=641238878&athposb=1&athena=true

Thanks for the tip, and this was not an agist thing at all (I’ve got the AARP mail starting too)!

there’s a reason it’s called “magic tape” lol

Do you have a grade?

Edited by Corvonie

Just throwing this out there, but this is the tape I use on my mylars.  If it catches a book, it can typically been pulled off without pulling up any of the paper.  Works great on mylites.  On the thicker mylars, it doesn't hold quite as well.

10219895_30.jpg

On 7/25/2024 at 2:00 PM, Corvonie said:

Ok now I just feel like I’m being trolled lol.  All these helpful suggestions and no grades :ohnoez::baiting:

Because I didn't know what to do with the tape pull...!:50849494_winkemoji:

It's hard to tell from the pics, could grade higher for sure as it looks like a very sharp book. But I think I see some tiny spine tics plus a color flake at spine, some light stains on covers.  Not sure how those defects plus the tape pull on back cover would grade out from CGC ?

I don't see a lot of graded books with tape pull but I would guess the max grade with that damage would be around 7.0.  Great book otherwise!  The other minor defects would likely be considered to be insignificant in relation to the color lift.

I've got a book with much worse tape pulls on the back at 7.0. The discoloration on the inside cover is a little concerning, but barring that being dinged hard, around 8.0.

Using tape & self-sealing bags is a collecting crime. I usually just tuck the flap into the bag behind the board. Unless you're storing it in a dodgy place, I'm not sure I see the point of a complete seal.

Slightly blunted corners with a small crunch at the top left, minor spine wear with a few color breaking spine ticks, color loss/color rub on spine by Stiltman's leg, Spine roll/cover wrap off center/staples off center, slightly discolored staples, tape pull on rear cover by lower edge, sun/dust shadow/tanning along outer edge of rear cover.

IMO...FN+ 6.5 to FN/VF 7.0

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

On 7/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Slightly blunted corners with a small crunch at the top left, minor spine wear with a few color breaking spine ticks, color loss/color rub on spine by Stiltman's leg, Spine roll/cover wrap off center/staples off center, slightly discolored staples, tape pull on rear cover by lower edge, sun/dust shadow/tanning along outer edge of rear cover.

IMO...FN+ 6.5 to FN/VF 7.0

8.0 VERY FINE (VF):  Back to Top
An excellent copy with outstanding eye appeal. A limited accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Cover is relatively flat with minimal surface wear beginning to show, possibly including some minute wear at corners. Inks are generally bright with moderate to high reflectivity. An unnoticeable 1/4" crease is acceptable if color is not broken. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. Spine is almost completely flat with a possible minor color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears and a few almost insignificant stress lines may be present. Paper is cream to tan and supple. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

7.0 FINE/VERY FINE (FN/VF):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with outstanding eye appeal. A small accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear beginning to show, possibly including minor creases. Corners may be blunted. Inks are generally bright with a moderate reduction in reflectivity. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. Minor foxing. The slightest spine roll may be present, as well as a possible moderate color break. Staples may show some discoloration. Slight staple tears and a small accumulation of light stress lines may be present. Slight rust migration. Paper is cream to tan. Centerfold is mostly secure. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present.

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

hold on I'm gonna take blurrier pictures xD. Jk thanks for the thorough evaluation!

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2024 at 11:04 PM, scburdet said:

I've got a book with much worse tape pulls on the back at 7.0. The discoloration on the inside cover is a little concerning, but barring that being dinged hard, around 8.0.

Using tape & self-sealing bags is a collecting crime. I usually just tuck the flap into the bag behind the board. Unless you're storing it in a dodgy place, I'm not sure I see the point of a complete seal.

These books, and that X-Men #6 I posted a while back which came back 9.8 WHITE were first bagged and boarded 3 months ago when I bought them.  Prior to that, they had been resting peacefully in boxes or milk crates or something.  While we argue about mylars, tape, boards, etc, everything in between the top and bottom two books in each stack was pretty minty!

Edited by Corvonie

I see some edge wear, dust shadows,  foxing and spine issues aside from the tape pull. The book presents better than the assigned grade. I’m in the 7.0-/7.5 class.