• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard Authentic Edition books

3 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2024 at 6:01 PM, Legion HQ said:

I'll preface this by saying that Wizard Authentic Edition books are so rare that I'd wager most collectors don't even know about their existence. (These are not the Wizard Ace Edition or Wizard 1/2 Edition books.) From what I understand, back in Wizard's heyday, they would take a particular book (often or maybe always a Wizard variant) and have its writer/artist(s) autograph usually 50 or less of them for conventions and apply a Wizard hologram as their official "authentication" of the sigs.

Unfortunately, CGC would later only green label these various books, since they themselves were not witness to the sigs. As such, I'd guess that most of these books have never been submitted to CGC and are just lingering raw in folks' collections.

However, now with the JSA Autograph Authentication service, I suspect we'll see a few more of these books pop up here and there. I just went through the service with my Young Avengers 1 book, which I'd previously submitted for a green label, and I'm very happy with the results (see pics below, before and after).

Anyone else have any WAE books out there, graded or otherwise? Planning on submitting to the JSA service?

Young Avengers 1 (Wizard Authentic Edition)(scan).jpg

Young Avengers 1 (z).jpg

I think it is interesting that the "sticker didn't affect the grade!"

I would love to pick up the couple of X-Men (1991) books but the only ones i've seen are massively overpriced. TBH there is no difference between these and many of the Dynamic Forces books, they are not variants just signed copies with a certification sticker.

CGC will never give an actual response but I would love to hear the reason the sticker isn't considered a cover defect. This is the exact opposite of what has previously been stated if they graded a book with a previous JSA sticker, but who knows at this point given how much they have changed with sketches/remarks.