• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sale 3037: The DC UNIVERSE COLLECTION Part III: The GOLDEN AGE :: PBA

41 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2024 at 5:06 PM, elibowman said:

I've picked up a couple restored books where I really like the covers (All Star 45 and 55 to name a couple). Some of these prices are really surprising me on the high side, then some are surprising me on the low side.

While some prices were strong, overall I felt there wasn't much competition for many of the books and they all went for prices I would have happily paid YEARS AGO! :D

*Long* time lurker, but Ian's sale (or should I say, Ian's collection) flushed me out and broke the posting ice.  I expect to be more active now.

Interesting sale.  I agree - prices were all over the map, but I managed to snag something that I've had my eye on for a long time, at what I consider a reasonable price.  Plus, it comes with the cachet of the DC Universe collection 9_9

What I did NOT like, is the 25% commission - ouch!  Even worse than Heritage, with nowhere near the professionalism.  A cat crawling around in the background behind the auctioneer?  Really?

image.jpeg

Edited by kent allard

I'm excited to grab some more GA DC.  Was focusing on the Godwin books and it looks like I did well.  I have a few coverless currently, and I won't need to crack those out.

On 8/1/2024 at 8:47 PM, kent allard said:

What I did NOT like, is the 25% commission - ouch!  Even worse than Heritage, with nowhere near the professionalism.  A cat crawling around in the background behind the auctioneer?  Really?

I'd pay extra for that.  (shrug) 

On 8/1/2024 at 4:46 PM, Sauce Dog said:

This auction is dangerous for me...so many good looking low grade restored books means I can finally fill the gaps for my GA favourites without paying crazy prices and still have them display well (especially for books with classic covers I would otherwise be priced out of). Bought three so far, and regret letting two others go even though I don't collect the characters (1st Doctor Mid-Nite for less than $500?! I'll loose sleep over that one for awhile)

I had zero hesitation towards jumping on this Brittle, restored and mis-ordered page Adventure book as it has been a grail Sandman cover for most of my life - and it presents so well. Most of these book have EXCELLENT color strike (very deep, vivid yellow and reds)

526219_xl.thumb.jpg.6aaaf74c489a2012c6d37a352a26d09d.jpg

I was also looking the the All-American #25 (first Doctor Mid-Nite) but passed because It looks like the upper left corner including the A and the GL logo were added.   Put my limited funds to use elsewhere. 

My favourite pick up though ended up not being one of the many restored books, rather a very nice book of my favourite GA hero.

Look at that colorstrike. Look at that superb white page quality. The tasteful wrap. Oh my God, it even has a final hammer price below GPA last sale...

526214_xl.thumb.jpg.ff39115447ff79433a3943b5f5b32c01.jpg

Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for you, I only got to the auction while they were at the All-Flash.  I had my eyes on the Hourman and Starman Adventure issues, but missed out on them.  Curses!

I also looked at the Adventure 51 (beautiful cover!), but was put off by the many structural defects and especially the brittle pages.  Glad you're happy with it.  I expected the other Sandmans would blow my budget - and they lived up to expectations.

Mine has deep colors but cost considerably more than yours ...

image.thumb.jpeg.5a78463f5745ab7eef3b3a6d50512a01.jpeg

It suffers from a split spine held together by tape, but that's why it's a 2.5

*Long* time lurker, but Ian's sale (or should I say, Ian's collection) flushed me out and broke the posting ice.  I expect to be more active now.

Interesting sale.  I agree - prices were all over the map, but I managed to snag something that I've had my eye on for a long time, at what I consider a reasonable price.  Plus, it comes with the cachet of the DC Universe collection 9_9

image.jpeg

Welcome to the boards, and I love this pick-up!

image.jpeg

I always loved that cover. Another one of  those iconic covers I first saw in Steranko’s History of the Comics. Congrats!

On 8/1/2024 at 9:36 PM, Readcomix said:

Welcome to the boards, and I love this pick-up!

On 8/1/2024 at 11:17 PM, plady69 said:

I always loved that cover. Another one of  those iconic covers I first saw in Steranko’s History of the Comics. Congrats!

Thanks @ReadComix & @plady69

Yes, this one and #8 are iconic.  I was seriously considering going for the #8, but the price seemed a bit too high for the condition.

The #14 has a bi-plane vibe that reminds me of More Fun #54.

On 8/1/2024 at 11:52 PM, kent allard said:

Did anyone have eyes on the More Funs, especially the Spectre issues?  I wussed out - too pricey for my tastes.

That More Fun 54 is epic, but seemed a bit on the high side.

I was bidding on some of the More Funs but blew my budget on all the Adventure books I picked up so couldn't win any of the Doctor Fate books I wanted but honestly I don't feel I missed out. The other More Fun issues actually sold where I figured they would, in line with GPA, so unlike many of the other series offered at the auction there were not many 'cheap' final hammer prices for em.

The lone outlier was the MF #52 which I consider to have been a good deal, as getting the 1st Spectre in 3.5 (even if restored) for less than $18k is pretty nice (the last Universal 3.0 sold for $90k...so this copy was a good savings and a grade bump). I really wish I had stacks of cash to afford a book like this.

image.thumb.jpeg.6ec001566a195eaf3451b6ab59ce2bef.jpeg