• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's signature is this?

7 posts in this topic

Hello all, I need some help with a signature, or figuring out who it is, or is it just some scribbles.

My brother bought a big lot of penthouse comix. On issue 1 there is a signature, but we cannot figure out who's it is? I looked up all the names on the cover but the sig does not really match any of those other people's I have found. 

Any ideas? And thanks for any help.

IMG_20240801_212330.thumb.jpg.c108cd9f6ec858f0b4039d7f5f5c951d.jpgIMG_20240801_212324.thumb.jpg.0ee665de06de261ce5424dbb7b6a304e.jpg

I would think Garry Leach but it doesn't look like other examples I found. People sometimes have different signatures though. Next guess would be George Caragonne but I have no clue what his signature looks like. Could it be George Lucas?:Rocket:

On 8/3/2024 at 1:55 PM, grendel013 said:

I would think Garry Leach but it doesn't look like other examples I found. People sometimes have different signatures though. Next guess would be George Caragonne but I have no clue what his signature looks like. Could it be George Lucas?:Rocket:

Yeah I originally thought Leach as well but all the examples of his signature I have seen look so different, I was also thinking Caragonne, but I also couldn't find one single example of his signature anywhere. Sad, I wish we could figure out who it is.

On 8/4/2024 at 11:48 AM, nconsola said:

Yeah I originally thought Leach as well but all the examples of his signature I have seen look so different, I was also thinking Caragonne, but I also couldn't find one single example of his signature anywhere. Sad, I wish we could figure out who it is.

I just submitted my first 3 signed comics to CGC for authentication. Matt Wagner, Tim Vigil and Dave Sim. I didn't get them signed personally but I'd be shocked if they weren't legit. They "look" like authentic signatures based on known examples. I held back sending a 4th comic (Mage #6) because the Matt Wagner signature on that looks VASTLY different. However, now I'm thinking it MAY be legit after seeing a couple "different" Wagner autos. That sig you have really looks like the initials GL so maybe it is Leach. Perhaps if you are willing to take the chance, send it in to CGC? I am hoping other boardies may help though. @grendelbo @ADAMANTIUM @Parabellum @JollyComics If these guys don't know, they might know "the guy" who would know. The authentication + C&P + grading costs $50 or more just for a modern. Not sure I'd send without some more input first. I'm gonna bet a dollar that it's Leach regardless of the other examples.2c

On 8/4/2024 at 1:22 PM, grendel013 said:

I just submitted my first 3 signed comics to CGC for authentication. Matt Wagner, Tim Vigil and Dave Sim. I didn't get them signed personally but I'd be shocked if they weren't legit. They "look" like authentic signatures based on known examples. I held back sending a 4th comic (Mage #6) because the Matt Wagner signature on that looks VASTLY different. However, now I'm thinking it MAY be legit after seeing a couple "different" Wagner autos. That sig you have really looks like the initials GL so maybe it is Leach. Perhaps if you are willing to take the chance, send it in to CGC? I am hoping other boardies may help though. @grendelbo @ADAMANTIUM @Parabellum @JollyComics If these guys don't know, they might know "the guy" who would know. The authentication + C&P + grading costs $50 or more just for a modern. Not sure I'd send without some more input first. I'm gonna bet a dollar that it's Leach regardless of the other examples.2c

Haha yeah the $50 to maybe be, is what's stopping me from sending it in. Cause that would suck to send it in and have it be someone completely different or they have no past versions of that sig, and I'm out the $. Too bad they don't have like a image database we can look through of the different people's autos to get an idea if we're on the right track.

I also have a Stan Lee signed comic that I personally had Stan sign, and have I pics of him signing it, but I don't think his signature will verify, as it was right after he got over pneumonia and he was still sick, (at the old galaxy con in the bay area in April 2018) and the signature is all scribbly instead of his clean one he is known for, I'll attach the pics. 

Screenshot_20240805_163002_Photos.thumb.jpg.3dfd03cd894f829ecfd4c30905e0f926.jpgScreenshot_20240805_163053_Photos.thumb.jpg.1885430210df09729ce41dd8bfeb0a33.jpg

I'll probably eventually have it sent in just to be encapsulated to keep it safe, but as I'll never sell it I don't care about grade or verification. 

On 8/5/2024 at 7:38 PM, nconsola said:

Haha yeah the $50 to maybe be, is what's stopping me from sending it in. Cause that would suck to send it in and have it be someone completely different or they have no past versions of that sig, and I'm out the $. Too bad they don't have like a image database we can look through of the different people's autos to get an idea if we're on the right track.

I also have a Stan Lee signed comic that I personally had Stan sign, and have I pics of him signing it, but I don't think his signature will verify, as it was right after he got over pneumonia and he was still sick, (at the old galaxy con in the bay area in April 2018) and the signature is all scribbly instead of his clean one he is known for, I'll attach the pics. 

Screenshot_20240805_163002_Photos.thumb.jpg.3dfd03cd894f829ecfd4c30905e0f926.jpgScreenshot_20240805_163053_Photos.thumb.jpg.1885430210df09729ce41dd8bfeb0a33.jpg

I'll probably eventually have it sent in just to be encapsulated to keep it safe, but as I'll never sell it I don't care about grade or verification. 

If those authenticators know their stuff, they should be familiar enough with the many signatures of Stan the Man. Especially the chicken scratches towards the end. Regardless, I probably would contact CS first and give a heads up. Probably send them the date it was signed and the pic if necessary. I watch a lot of Pawn Stars and the signature experts should be familiar with the many different signatures of the person over the years, as well as secretarial versions, and even who had autopens.