• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist Edition Book Stands?

13 posts in this topic

Looking for Artist Edition/elephant folio-sized book stands that can display the book openly so it can be flipped through.

Gave up looking at the ones on Amazon because the ones I’ve found are too small (6” wide) for the Artist Edition books. (Which are 11-13” wide when closed).

Hoping someone here might be displaying their books this way and can point me in the right direction to pick up a few.

They look similar to this:

IMG_7955.thumb.jpeg.b3c1b70267cf1be41dffd4698b41cb63.jpeg

For the Carol Day books (heavy), Roger Clark on CAF is selling these stands. 

The price point is on the high side for me.  And I'm not exactly sure how the leather would interact with the AE.  The dimensions are fine for the Carol Day books (landscape) but might not work as well for portrait style AEs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/126417104554?itmmeta=01J4EMH376X7JNT3C3TZ9R6QZN&hash=item1d6f0beeaa:g:2SQAAOSwWCJkdKqr

From an older topic, see:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/463593-cave-man-art-man-cave/?do=findComment&comment=11028960

Price point-wise, I think it's in the same area.

Not sure what @dichotomy ultimately did.  I think he said he was re-locating shortly after the man-cave was completed.  He's no longer active on these boards.  But you can ask him, he's "M L" on CAF.    https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=108264

You probably make a stand from 2 pieces of plywood.  Then wrap it nicely with some cushion-y fabric.

Edited by Will_K

On 8/4/2024 at 6:38 AM, Will_K said:

You probably make a stand from 2 pieces of plywood.  Then wrap it nicely with some cushion-y fabric.

This is where I'm leaning - I need three of them, so I just need to come up with a design and head up to my pop's house for some table saw action.

It seems getting the slots sized up and cutting the angles "just so" would take some time.  If I ever get a table saw, I might try it myself.  Since some of Sawstop's patents are running out, waiting for the big makers to start introducing their own flesh-sensing models.

Found this one online (similar price point):

https://alicelanehome.com/products/wood-galerie-book-cradle?_pos=7&_sid=79b598deb&_ss=r

Posted (edited)
On 8/4/2024 at 6:17 PM, Will_K said:

It seems getting the slots sized up and cutting the angles "just so" would take some time.  If I ever get a table saw, I might try it myself.  Since some of Sawstop's patents are running out, waiting for the big makers to start introducing their own flesh-sensing models.

Found this one online (similar price point):

https://alicelanehome.com/products/wood-galerie-book-cradle?_pos=7&_sid=79b598deb&_ss=r

Yeah, the slots are what I think I'm going to have a challenge with - I'm sure the need for exactness will ensure these things sit level. I've got the boards measured out, just need to run up and grab some plywood, then I'll go to my dad's house. Might take me a while, but I do have this project on my to-do list.

I am curious to see what the all-in cost + labor is on the project to compare to these other prices. 

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 8/7/2024 at 7:59 PM, All-Star Squadman said:

alxjhnsn, That is a Beautiful book stand!

Thanks. He does excellent work.

On 8/8/2024 at 10:19 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I really like that book stand, it's very classy.

Thanks, I'm a classy guy (yeah, it may be low class, but ...)

Comic Strip Art Fan Tragically Killed by Blunt Force Trauma While Reading Rare Book

London, UK (August 8, 2024) – In a tragic accident, a comic strip art enthusiast was found dead in his bed, having suffered fatal blunt force trauma while reading a rare and oversized reprint book. The victim, whose name has not been disclosed pending notification of family, was reportedly reading David Wright’s Carol Day: Lance Hallam, a highly coveted reprint book known for its exceptional size and limited availability.

The book, which measures an impressive 19.25" x 14.25" and spans 152 pages, was published by Slingsby Bros, Ink and The Book Palace. Limited to only 500 copies, this collector's item has become a prized possession among comic strip art aficionados.

Authorities believe that the victim was lying in bed, engrossed in the book, when it slipped from his hands and struck him on the head, causing fatal injuries. The substantial weight and size of the book likely contributed to the severity of the trauma.

“This is an incredibly tragic accident,” said Detective Inspector Claire Matthews, who is leading the investigation. “The victim was clearly passionate about comic strip art, and it’s a heartbreaking irony that something he loved so much led to such a devastating outcome.”

Guy Millsap, a close friend of the victim and a fellow collector, expressed his sorrow over the incident. “He was one of the most dedicated fans of David Wright’s work that I’ve ever known. To think that he was enjoying one of his favorite artists in those final moments is a small comfort, but it doesn’t lessen the heartbreak. He’ll be deeply missed in our community.”

Millsap and others in the comic strip art community have begun discussing ways to honor the victim’s memory, possibly through a dedicated event or tribute in his name.

The reprint of Carol Day: Lance Hallam was lauded for its meticulous reproduction of Wright’s original artwork, earning a coveted 2024 Eisner Nomination, a labor of love that aimed to bring the beauty of the 1950s comic strip to a new generation of readers. However, this tragic incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers associated with oversized and heavy books, particularly when used in bed or other precarious situations.

As the investigation continues, friends and family of the victim are asking for privacy during this difficult time. The comic strip art community, meanwhile, mourns the loss of one of its most passionate members.

On 8/10/2024 at 10:02 AM, lobrac said:

Comic Strip Art Fan Tragically Killed by Blunt Force Trauma While Reading Rare Book

London, UK (August 8, 2024) – In a tragic accident, a comic strip art enthusiast was found dead in his bed, having suffered fatal blunt force trauma while reading a rare and oversized reprint book. The victim, whose name has not been disclosed pending notification of family, was reportedly reading David Wright’s Carol Day: Lance Hallam, a highly coveted reprint book known for its exceptional size and limited availability.

The book, which measures an impressive 19.25" x 14.25" and spans 152 pages, was published by Slingsby Bros, Ink and The Book Palace. Limited to only 500 copies, this collector's item has become a prized possession among comic strip art aficionados.

Authorities believe that the victim was lying in bed, engrossed in the book, when it slipped from his hands and struck him on the head, causing fatal injuries. The substantial weight and size of the book likely contributed to the severity of the trauma.

“This is an incredibly tragic accident,” said Detective Inspector Claire Matthews, who is leading the investigation. “The victim was clearly passionate about comic strip art, and it’s a heartbreaking irony that something he loved so much led to such a devastating outcome.”

Guy Millsap, a close friend of the victim and a fellow collector, expressed his sorrow over the incident. “He was one of the most dedicated fans of David Wright’s work that I’ve ever known. To think that he was enjoying one of his favorite artists in those final moments is a small comfort, but it doesn’t lessen the heartbreak. He’ll be deeply missed in our community.”

Millsap and others in the comic strip art community have begun discussing ways to honor the victim’s memory, possibly through a dedicated event or tribute in his name.

The reprint of Carol Day: Lance Hallam was lauded for its meticulous reproduction of Wright’s original artwork, earning a coveted 2024 Eisner Nomination, a labor of love that aimed to bring the beauty of the 1950s comic strip to a new generation of readers. However, this tragic incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers associated with oversized and heavy books, particularly when used in bed or other precarious situations.

As the investigation continues, friends and family of the victim are asking for privacy during this difficult time. The comic strip art community, meanwhile, mourns the loss of one of its most passionate members.

This really points up the under-discussed issue of the real hazards of these proliferating AEs. :shiftyeyes:

On 8/10/2024 at 1:32 PM, drdroom said:

This really points up the under-discussed issue of the real hazards of these proliferating AEs. :shiftyeyes:

The Omnibus Editions are even more dangerous!