• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What comic creators would deserve a credit for a character they didn't create but molded them into what we know......
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2024 at 7:27 PM, Jeffcmeadows said:

Englehart and Staton. Guy Gardner was as generic as it got until they shaped him into the gigantic @ss he is now. And it made him interesting.

Yup. They made the Green Lantern title interesting again, after a fairly long period of, at best, mediocrity.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Off the top of my head, I'd say:

Claremont / Cockrum / Byrne -- X-Men

Frank Miller -- Daredevil and Batman

David Michelinie -- Iron Man

Peter David -- Hulk

Alan Moore -- Swamp Thing (and mature comics in general)

Marv Wolfman / George Perez -- Teen Titans

Barry Smith -- Conan

I'm sure there are many more.

Miracleman / Marvelman for Alan Moore as well.

Animal Man - Grant Morrison

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/6/2024 at 9:04 PM, royaluglydudes said:

Michael Fleisher with The Spectre.

I’d considered that, but it was only really a throwback to the original More Fun characterisation, as was Ostrander’s. Great series, though. A favourite.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/6/2024 at 8:39 PM, RCheli said:

Neal Adams on Deadman.

He took over art only on Strange Adventures from the character’s second issue, so not really a revamp. No change in characterisation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/6/2024 at 11:07 PM, aszumilo said:

Bob Layton - Iron Man

(plus I heard he created the character (shrug))

He blocked me for asking about that. lol 

Dan DeCarlo - Millie the Model

Stan may have originally "scripted" the book but it was DeCarlo's art and later writing direction that changed the character into what people recognize her as. His entire run through the Atlas and Marvel years on "good girl art" comics kept Marvel afloat prior to the 60's superhero invasion.

On 8/6/2024 at 5:31 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I’d considered that, but it was only really a throwback to the original More Fun characterisation, as was Ostrander’s. Great series, though. A favourite.

Bringing a character back around after it was bandied about aimlessly by various others for a long period ought to be worth at least an honorable mention, no? 

On 8/9/2024 at 2:38 AM, Readcomix said:

Bringing a character back around after it was bandied about aimlessly by various others for a long period ought to be worth at least an honorable mention, no? 

That’s true. (thumbsu