• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a 1954 sports illustrated
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Cgc does grade magazines, but you may get more pertinent discussion at a sports memorabilia chat forum

but with any collectible, get a ball park value by looking it up on eBay sold

Here is a pretty good comp in similar condition: SI #1

The first issue of SI is one of those books that everyone feels "should" be expensive but just isn't in average/worn condition (NM copies can get pricey). I had a box of about 15 of them at one point thinking it would take off eventually, cause... it's SI and the first issue! Obviously it never has for what ever reason and eventually I just started to add them into trades when I needed something to balance out.

They found a ton of them several years back. Like a couple dozen sealed cases or something, so the value plummeted.

I've got a set of the first 6 issues (#2 has a Yankees card foldout similar to #1) along with the 1st anniversary issue up for sale at $500/obo with no bites yet.

I bought two copies from the wharehouse find 20+ years ago.  came nicely packaged.

I think I paid 400 each (or was it 300?)

I had heritage submit one for press and grade,  and sold it last year.

I think it came back a 9.2  and sold for a disappointing 700