• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When the letters pages became a thing?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Since decades we got few pages at the end of our comics featuring the opinion of the readers, i consider it as an essential part of the comics. 

So now the question is...

When is it started? What is the first exemple of it in a comic book?

When the big two started to use it in every of their publishings?

What is your personal oldest exemple of it in your collection?

Edited by Coverdeath

On 8/7/2024 at 4:40 PM, bronze_rules said:

Not an expert by any means, but I did find this...

The first recorded comic book letter column appeared in Target Comics #6, published by Novelty Press in 1940.[5] (The page in question also has an early mention of comic book collecting.)[5] The first DC Comics comic to include a letters column was Real Fact Comics #3 (July-August 1946).[6] The first DC title with a letters column as a regular feature was Superman beginning with issue #124 (September 1958).[7]

Makes me want to get a Target comics 6.

Comic book letter column - Wikipedia

So the one right after this one? Was it hate mail? Or I wonder what jump-started it!? lol

Not sure if the ate word will pass the boards word finder ...

6086646_Full_Obv.jpg

Ah you can... But I wonder if there was an ad in #123 to send in letters, or it just surprised people who had already sent in just to send in... ???

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 8/7/2024 at 2:40 PM, bronze_rules said:

Not an expert by any means, but I did find this...

The first recorded comic book letter column appeared in Target Comics #6, published by Novelty Press in 1940.[5] (The page in question also has an early mention of comic book collecting.)[5] The first DC Comics comic to include a letters column was Real Fact Comics #3 (July-August 1946).[6] The first DC title with a letters column as a regular feature was Superman beginning with issue #124 (September 1958).[7]

Makes me want to get a Target comics 6.

Comic book letter column - Wikipedia

As great a book Target Comics #6 (July 1940) is, there is no letters column in the comic. I have a raw copy of the book, and also verified via the Comic Book Plus database.

It could be an Overstreet red herring (for copyright purposes), but I suspect it’s an error and the letters page actually occurs in a different volume of Target Comics (issue 6 of that volume), since it’s not in volume 1#6.

Edited by sacentaur

If you want to go farther I collect Look magazines from the early 1940s right around Pearl Harbor and there are letter pages. I found this is  fascinating with people are arguing how their jobs brought in $5 dollars a week . The world has changed. 

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

On 8/7/2024 at 6:37 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

What interests me is Stan Lee acts like he created letter pages, but EC Comics under Bill Gaines was like a decade ahead of Stan Lee. 

I don't know about Stan Lee acting like he created letter pages, but they've existed since at least the 1920s.  I think back then Amazing Stories magazine was putting letters in their issues.

On 8/7/2024 at 7:39 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

If you want to go farther I collect Look magazines from the early 1940s right around Pearl Harbor and there are letter pages. I found this is  fascinating with people are arguing how their jobs brought in $5 dollars a week . The world has changed. 

HP Lovecraft mentioned his full expenses for a flat in the City, I may have the details wrong, but I believe he mentioned 18 bucks for either the week or month. This would be in the 30's. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12