• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show some love for Speed Comics
2 2

78 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2024 at 3:01 AM, kent allard said:

Most of the stories are pretty lame, but the covers ... :banana:

image.thumb.jpeg.23e8873842d3a07cd51b4cf0ece3fc68.jpeg

#26 was quite expensive, but when I saw that cover I couldn't let it get away.  In 5 years I have yet to see another one offered for sale.

"Lame" could describe most GA stories, unfortunately, but some had good interior art. What did you think of the interior art in the ones that you bought raw?

I have seen #26 before but didn't know it was a Pierce Rice cover; I'd never heard of that artist.

The label says, "Ed Wheelan, Art Helfant and." It looks like "Sam Glanzman art" was cut off. Maybe magazine holders don't have enough room for long comments.

Great stuff so far, and great idea for a thread! I've got a couple, will post up soon.

I've thought occasionally about going after a Speed run; there's a lot to like here. It's one of those weird books like Catman, that is so disjointed across the whole run that it almost looks like 6 or 7 completely different titles, with some fairly jarring changes in logo, cover theme, characters, art style etc etc. But yep, there are some killer covers sprinkled through for sure.

On 8/19/2024 at 3:53 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

"Lame" could describe most GA stories, unfortunately, but some had good interior art. What did you think of the interior art in the ones that you bought raw?

comicbookplus is my go-to for reading slabbed comics (shout out :golfclap:).  Fortunately, it almost *always* has a copy of what I need (to all the contributors - thank you for your service).  The Street & Smith stuff is not there (:(), but there are other avenues when necessary (from which I obtained my Shadow Comics archive).  Weird Chills #2 is a conspicuous exception - I have not been able to find an online copy anywhere.  I'm dying to read the Hitler suicide story it teases, but unwilling to crack it out.  Patience is a virtue, so I bide my time.

Anyway, in general I'm OK with the art.  I find it hard to focus on the art to the exclusion of the story.  If the story stinks, I sort of tune out - and most of the stories frankly stink in my opinion.  The Young Defenders side-kicks are irritating to me, but the whole package is such a piece of history that it transcends the petty issues.

Posted (edited)
On 8/19/2024 at 4:36 AM, walclark said:

The label does say "Sam Glanzman art."

speed26.thumb.jpg.dd74c26ac831b3df9c8a19e17e7d6ed6.jpg

*drool* :drool:

Oh, I would *love* to hear the backstory on this one!

Edited by kent allard
added comment

On 8/19/2024 at 9:31 AM, Robot Man said:

comspeed26.jpg

Ah!  A wild copy!  Up to 9.  Who else has one?  Come on, come on ...

Leave it to @Robot Man to have one.  I have followed your postings for many years and would *love* to see your collection and hear your stories in person.  I'm not a con person (did you see what I did there?), but we are both SoCal folks.  Maybe some day?

On 8/19/2024 at 1:34 PM, kent allard said:

Ah!  A wild copy!  Up to 9.  Who else has one?  Come on, come on ...

Leave it to @Robot Man to have one.  I have followed your postings for many years and would *love* to see your collection and hear your stories in person.  I'm not a con person (did you see what I did there?), but we are both SoCal folks.  Maybe some day?

Thanks. But be careful what you wish for…:devil: