• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best symbolism in a WWII cover
3 3

112 posts in this topic

Love those patriotic covers, but not sure they are all "symbolic" or the symbolism is pretty obvious. A popular image in a war that was being fought as much on the homefront (production was key) as on the battlefield was the notion that folks back home were walking "arm in arm" with the soldiers. It was symbolic of national unity and sacrafice in support of the war. Lots of examples in comics but these were the easy images (not mine) for me to find:

Superman #12 Value - GoCollect (superman-12 )

Superman #29 CGC 7.0 1944 4367054001 - Picture 1 of 2

Cover for World's Finest Comics (DC, 1941 series) #5

Cover for World's Finest Comics (DC, 1941 series) #6

The war bonds and victory garden covers are another riff on this theme.

On 8/20/2024 at 7:29 PM, Robot Man said:

If we are talking truly “symbolic” this would be the first one I thought of.

IMG_9363.jpeg

That would be my choice as well! (thumbsu

Posted (edited)

I'm just the guy that started the topic, I don't own it.

On 8/20/2024 at 3:14 PM, sfcityduck said:

Love those patriotic covers, but not sure they are all "symbolic" or the symbolism is pretty obvious. A popular image in a war that was being fought as much on the homefront (production was key) as on the battlefield was the notion that folks back home were walking "arm in arm" with the soldiers. It was symbolic of national unity and sacrafice in support of the war. Lots of examples in comics but these were the easy images (not mine) for me to find:

Superman #12 Value - GoCollect (superman-12 )

Superman #29 CGC 7.0 1944 4367054001 - Picture 1 of 2

Cover for World's Finest Comics (DC, 1941 series) #5

Cover for World's Finest Comics (DC, 1941 series) #6

The war bonds and victory garden covers are another riff on this theme.

Great point @sfcityduck.  There is a difference between a patriotic cover, and a iconic cover that symbolizes something.

I don't own this thread, I just started it, but I feel that including patriotic covers like these broaden the scope too much.  My idea was more along the lines of abstract conceptual covers that are more fantastic, then prosaic patriotic ones.

Again, I am not the judge of right and wrong here, but @AJD, @IngelsFan@Robot Man and @buttock have good example of what I think of as a surreal image with an underlying symbolic message.  For me, @buttock's National covers tend to be simply patriotic except for #21, with honorable mentions for #33 and #41.

Admittedly, my beloved Speed #26 does not contain any surreal imagery, but it seems to make such a powerful, assertive message that I love it.  I would prefer to see covers that are taking the fight to the enemy, than showing us as being strong in defense of the country.

I'll throw a curve ball into the discussion by introducing Captain America #46 for consideration.  Not surreal (unfortunately all too real), but powerful and iconic.

image.thumb.jpeg.59b83c9eed37239a7f913460f57a7920.jpeg

This is getting interesting.  Keep 'em coming ...

Edited by kent allard
remove duplicated image

On 8/20/2024 at 5:58 PM, kent allard said:

I'm just the guy that started the topic, I don't own it.

Great point @sfcityduck.  There is a difference between a patriotic cover, and a iconic cover that symbolizes something.

I don't own this thread, I just started it, but I feel that including patriotic covers like these broaden the scope too much.  My idea was more along the lines of abstract conceptual covers that are more fantastic, then prosaic patriotic ones.

Again, I am not the judge of right and wrong here, but @AJD, @IngelsFan@Robot Man and @buttock have good example of what I think of as a surreal image with an underlying symbolic message.  For me, @buttock's National covers tend to be simply patriotic except for #21, with honorable mentions for #33 and #41.

Admittedly, my beloved Speed #26 does not contain any surreal imagery, but it seems to make such a powerful, assertive message that I love it.  I would prefer to see covers that are taking the fight to the enemy, than showing us as being strong in defense of the country.

I'll throw a curve ball into the discussion by introducing Captain America #46 for consideration.  Not surreal (unfortunately all too real), but powerful and iconic.

image.thumb.jpeg.59b83c9eed37239a7f913460f57a7920.jpeg

This is getting interesting.  Keep 'em coming ...

I thought about posting my copies of this as well as Exciting 49 (poison candy). But, I felt they were actually more “horrific” than symbolic…

On 8/20/2024 at 6:05 PM, kent allard said:

Cute, but not exactly what I would consider iconic (tsk)

I wouldn’t call it “iconic” either. But I think it might slip into the “symbolic” arena even with out “men in tights”…