• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm the only to dislike how look digital comics?
2 2

14 posts in this topic

Sometimes I read online to follow the full story of crossover linked with series that I dont collect, it does the job for sure but I'm the only to really dislike how the colors are flashy and not natural? And even when they are not redesigned it still look weird...

From my perspective, it’s a generalisation to say that ALL digital comics look inferior to the printed version. It works well for some, not for others. In physical collection remasters, as with digital equivalents, some linework can be badly obscured by the colouring, an example being Steranko’s SHIELD stories.  Conversely, the original comics might have been printed on dull newsprint, and the remastering can bring out not just detail but also a vibrancy to the artwork which can make you appreciate its quality and the high craft level, far more than you could in the obscured, original presentation.  It’s through digital that I’ve come to really appreciate the very underrated talents of some of the less revered creators. I first switched on to this + aspect of digital when I read Thor : The Eternals Saga and noticed how much better Keith Pollard’s art looked in that remaster.  So, also an inseparable crossover with the argument of original comics vs physical reprints, as well.

Also, on a tablet the brightness and warmth of the image can be further modified to your own personal preferences.  I find that I can focus better.

Each to their own.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Since I am only buying one monthly title, I only read that single issue in a hard format. 

Anything else I read is digital.  

I think one's reading habits in this area are partially determined by their purchasing philosophy.  I buy comics to have as part of a collection for some books as well as the history of that book and because I believe certain issues will become more valuable than others.  I am not building a library or reading material. 

Edited by Buzzetta

Nothing "excites" me about digital comics. I see them as an avenue to archive and make any story available for research or reading. It has a very important role in our collecting community. But if we are comparing quality or color, I admit I am biased to pulp and paper. I'm not saying there isn't an "improvement" in some of these areas with digital but it doesn't allow me the same "escape" as reading an actual comic.

On 8/26/2024 at 2:45 AM, batman_fan said:

I have been building a reading library myself

Screenshot 2024-08-25 at 7.44.20 PM.png

On 8/26/2024 at 4:02 AM, Dave2739 said:

IMG_3622.jpg

Great selections.  I have a lot of collected editions, but ran out of space, moving over to digital at that point.

Either way, the remastering can vary in how well it's executed, and works better for some art styles than for others.

Really just a parallel to newsprint.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/26/2024 at 3:51 AM, batman_fan said:

Definitely takes up a lot of room and weighs a ton

A box of Omnibus and / or Absolute Editions is potentially hernia-inducing.

Caution advised. Make sure correct lifting technique is used.

Edited by Ken Aldred