• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Slab and Press?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Hello comic ninjas!

I currently have a graded signature series (2x) comic in 9.6. I've noticed a minor crack in the slab and am considering sending it back for re encapsulation. While the "hood is up" I'm considering having it pressed with the hopes of perhaps gaining a higher score (the comic isn't worth much but it's the only 9.6 I have so it bugs me).

While there are no assurances, the grader notes cite "light spline stress lines to cover". I can't really see much outside of a possible ding in the bottom left corner. Since I want a new case, there is no harm in my trying to get it pressed is there? Again, this isn't a move to make it more valuable per se since it isn't a big book.

Would love thoughts/input on the probability of the press yielding anything positive. A sincere thanks in advance!

PS...the registration number of the book is 4167408002

IMG_2935(1).JPG

IMG_2934(1).JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2931.JPG

On 8/27/2024 at 1:32 PM, comicstock said:

I don't have a lot of experience with this but I wouldn't do it.

Things can happen...:whatthe:

I'd seriously consider waiting until sometime next year.  Poke around Comics General section to see why...

It's really hard to tell from the pictures what the defects are. 

I'm not sure if there are any graders notes, but as others have alluded to,  there is a risk any time you Crack a slab. 

I would start by figuring out if the defect is pressable.  Then look at the value between a 9.8 and 9.6 and ask yourself if it's worth the risk. 

If a 9.6 is $400 and a 9.8 is $500, I personally wouldn't do it. If the difference is $300 - $700, I would consider it.