• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okay, i'm getting tired of bagging & boarding these books. A little advice?
3 3

43 posts in this topic

On 8/30/2024 at 12:53 PM, lostboys said:

They start out flat and smooth and develop a weird kind of bubbling/rippling over time.

Not sure how else to describe it...they go from looking great to looking like chit over time.

And im a guy who loves looking at his books!

It sounds like maybe you are using polyethylene bags? I've had the rippling problem happen with those many times. Maybe try Polypropylene bags if that is the case.

Poly bags should be replaced every 5 years, they degrade, turn yellow and produce acids as they do.

Mylar is an inert material that does not breakdown over time and does not yellow or produce any acids or anything harmful, Mylar is used by the Smithsonian and Library Of Congress for conservation of paper products.

They say Mylar will last 150 years so along with Acid Free Boards you are good for a loooooooooooooong time.

Your choices depending on your budget.

Economy - 1 Mil Mylites, these bags are fine and do the job just as well as the thicker Mylites, they are a good choice if you are not going to be constantly taking the books in/out of the bag/box, doing this may cause them to tear.

Basic/Standard - 2 Mil Mylites, these bags offer the same protection but are thicker/stronger than the 1 Mil bags.

Top Loaders - These are 4 Mil thick and do not have a fold over flap.

When I 1st found Mylites at an LCS back in the mid 80's, 1 Mil was all that was available, then I found 1.4 Mil online in the 2000's,which for me was "Goldilocks, just right" then they stopped making them so I started using 2 Mil bags, basically my 2000 books are in 1 Mil, 1.4 Mil and 2 Mil Mylites,

The only other choice you need to make are what size your need, Golden Age, Silver Age or Modern or some of each.

Do not forget the boards, your choices are Fullbacks or Halfbacks, again this depends on your budget, halfbacks are fine to use, one side is treated/buffered and the other side is rough, the smoother side goes against the book.

Just remember, weather the book is not bagged and boarded or is poly bagged, in a Mylite or a CGC case, the books need to be stored in the proper environment...

Controlled temp/humidity, away from all UV light, away from all sources of moisture/heat/vents and not stored in an unfinished attic, garage or basement and away from anywhere bugs may be.

Just to throw it out there, when you seal the bags do not use a tape that is extremely stick or will leave a residue, I use these...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Avery-Removable-Print-Write-Color-Coding-Labels-3-4-Pack-of-1008-5472/15078669?athcpid=15078669&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=siext&athieid=v0&athstid=CS055~CS004&athguid=9y2A-yBq-uVzVJzZ1ddwyp9sDfQXd3et8bRt&athancid=17163674&athposb=0&athena=true

For comic bags, I use Mylites 2's.  I buy their halfbacks for boards.  I also throw my slabs into Mylites 2's.  I don't plan on replacing the bags ever... unless in another 5-10 years they find something like they cause cancer.  The boards I may swap out every 5-8 years - I don't know.

About the only thing bad about E Gerber is their ordering "system" and website were made 1863.

On 8/30/2024 at 12:16 PM, AndyFish said:

I'd second the mylites-- don't cheap out on the boards either-- they last for many years.  Those cheap bags are a waste of money.

And I am going to say it, I use multiple boards per book to make sure it is very stiff.

E. Gerber and BCE make the best and there's no question they're made from Mylar and sealed properly. I use E. Gerber since they're cheaper, and use the 775M2 Silver/Gold size along with a 750FB. Every era of book will fit that size except for larger GA or Dells. They'll last well past the day I'm no longer around.

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_mylites2.htm

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_fullbacks.htm

On 8/31/2024 at 3:59 AM, Tony S said:

It's hard to argue against  mylites and half backs for long term storage. It's proven archival. 
BUT.....
IMHO you don't need to replace normal bags and boards every two years. You could go 3-5x that. And when you replace the bags and boards every decade or so it's a fun time to look at all your books.

I don't disagree with any of that, but I know exactly what the OP is talking about in terms of bags bubbling/rippling and looking awful. I've had the same exact problem with certain polypropylene bags. It has to be something to do with the manufacturing process. I've put lots of books I bought into fresh bags and boards in within just a few years (maybe less even?) pull them out of the box to sell and have to re-bag; I avoid sending crappy looking product to buyers. These are stored in a temperature and humidity controlled environment, and it's not every single bag, just certain brands.

Edited by Dick Pontoon

Silver bags, thick, for everything but gold so they aren't too tight and will actually protect the book if you  drop it. BCW is just fine. Much more important is your storage area. Keep them cool, dry, clean, and dark and they will outlast you. Anyone having problems with yellowing or wrinkling has humidity and or heat problems. I have put 2 books per bag/board for weight/space concerns for 20 years plus, and they are just fine. https://www.bcwsupplies.com/silver-comic-book-bags-thick

On 8/30/2024 at 4:44 PM, dick pontoon said:

E. Gerber and BCE make the best and there's no question they're made from Mylar and sealed properly. I use E. Gerber since they're cheaper, and use the 775M2 Silver/Gold size along with a 750FB. Every era of book will fit that size except for larger GA or Dells. They'll last well past the day I'm no longer around.

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_mylites2.htm

https://www.egerber.com/catalog_fullbacks.htm

This is the answer you were looking for.  The most economical when purchasing in bulk.

I use 725M2 Mylites2 bags paired with 700FB Acid free Full Backs (perfect for Bronze Age to Modern but will still work with some SA comics)

775M2 Mylites2 paired with 750FB full backs (for GA/SA comics)

I've converted my entire raw collection of over 7000 comics to these for the same exact reason.  I didn't want to deal with it every 5-10 years and the books look amazing.  Even low and mid-grade books look impressive.  Mylar makes dirt look good.

This is the way.

I just went through 40 long boxes that I haven't looked at for 25-30 years. All in poly bags. Books looked great with white pages, so take that for what its worth. I also went through my short boxes which had books in 4 mil mylar toploaders (ya, old school). The books were fine, but after 30 years, dust and debris settled down the side edges (especially on the thick books) and I had to change out about 25% of the mylars to make them look nice.

FYI In the long boxes, I flip the direction the book faces every 5 books. This keeps the boards straight as an arrow (staple side of the book is slightly thicker). Just remember to put an extra board in between any two books facing each other.  

On 8/30/2024 at 1:01 PM, Funnybooks said:

mylites are excellent bags and boards...this is the brand I use

depending on how you store your books and the environment, these products will last many, many years without the need to change frequently

Where do I order them from?

Im ready to purchase 600 M2 bags and 600 fullback boards but Im not sure who/where to order from.

Thanks

On 8/30/2024 at 9:34 AM, ExNihilo said:

I switched all my books to Mylar to avoid having to re-bag every 10-20 years let alone every two.  Mylar's more expensive upfront, but it'll last the rest of your life (and then some).  I'd rather buy and bag once, than have to do it ever 10 (or in your case TWO) years.  Like, why not spend $0.50 per bag/board just once, instead of spending $0.25 per bag/board every two years.  Financially, it just doesn't make any sense.

Cheap bags give you an excuse to get personal with your beloved books on a regular basis. 

It's the journey, not the destination. 

On 9/4/2024 at 9:07 AM, lostboys said:

Im going to call E Gerber this afternoon and order from them.

If this isnt the best route, please let me know.

Thanks

That's the best route. Some people hate the antiquated method of making a call and using your credit card, but you won't find them any cheaper elsewhere and the lady on the phone is pretty nice.

On 9/4/2024 at 8:07 AM, lostboys said:

Im going to call E Gerber this afternoon and order from them.

If this isnt the best route, please let me know.

Thanks

Just be aware that their Full-Backs used to be 42 pt (mil) thick, and are now only 35 pt thick.  They also only finish one side in white now, and leave the other side an unfinished brown color.....sort of like a chicken fried butthole that's only been cooked on one side.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/4/2024 at 10:05 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Just be aware that their Full-Backs used to be 42 pt (mil) thick, and are now only 35 pt thick.  They also only finish one side in white now, and leave the other side an unfinished brown color.....sort of like a chicken fried butthole that's only been cooked on one side.

Is there a better option for the boards?

Does anyone finish both sides?