• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

250 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2024 at 7:06 AM, sfcityduck said:

This forum is a pretty spectacular repository of knowledge. It is a place where knowledge is shared, mysteries are discussed and solved, and collectors exhibit the curiosity that led to the creation of this hobby.

So, yeah, the terminology and whys and wherefore matter. Hopefully we are honoring and teaching some history here.

I am good with going with the historic breakdown of Platinum, Gold, Silver, etc. developed by a consensus of fandom and used by OPG, eBay, andmost of us. Don’t see a need to recognize an Atomic Age sub-category but not the more often used PCH or WWII sub~categories. 

Change it back! Change it back! Change it back!

DITTO!

My mild OCD tendencies are especially annoyed at the fact that the capitalization is inconsistent ..

Golden & atomic Age comic books

A forum for discussing golden & Atomic age comic books.

Really, if you must do it, at least do it nicely!
Edited by kent allard

On 9/6/2024 at 12:19 PM, EastEnd1 said:

You're reminding me of one of my early texts to my (at the time) middle school aged daughter.  My text had a hello, hope you're day is going well, a detailed suggestion for dinner, and a see you soon closing.

What I got back was "k".

So being a mature adult novice texter I responded, "What the heck is k?"

She responds "it means ok."

All I could say was, "You mean to tell me that young people are so lazy they can't even write "ok", they have to shorten even that to "k"????"

No response :facepalm:

This is normal.

Kids don't have the urge to respond in detail or to close a conversation with a final comment. We really struggled with smartphones and social media with our kids (we were raising 6 teenagers all at the same time last decade) and it was a constant battle to try to balance it. In the end, the kids ended up being great adults, but it took a lot of time and effort to fight those battles. 

I found that the best tool for parenting that I had was de-escalation. Rather than escalate anything, we tried to avoid conflict while at the same time continuing to have consequences for actions. That made a huge difference because we gave them relatively little to push back against, reducing the arguments and tension. It's always the tension they remember, so by eliminating that it allowed us to stay closer until they grew into adulthood.

Once they hit adulthood and people start doing it to them they realize more how important it is to communicate effectively. At least mine did. 

On 9/6/2024 at 12:15 PM, Bookery said:

All of those beautiful descriptions from Bradbury, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Kesey, Chandler... all the exquisite metaphors and similes... all will be gone.  Not only will upcoming authors no longer write like that, but it wouldn't be understood by their readers if they did.

“Remember, the firemen are rarely necessary. The public itself stopped reading of its own accord.” - RB

Every generation loses things. 

My kids have no idea what it's like to wait months for a record album to hit the stores, to desperately wait for song to come on the radio or a show to come onto the television. Ther'es really no end to the things we lose, unfortunately. 

All you can do is make your kids aware of what they're not even able to be aware of, and I do that regularly.

For Christmas I used to give my kids DVDs of movies they'd never watch, just to introduce them to culture they'd never experience otherwise. Moves like that really open their world, but it takes a little effort to figure out what sort of gifts would suit them and that they'd actually appreciate. 

On 9/6/2024 at 1:08 PM, VintageComics said:

This is normal.

Kids don't have the urge to respond in detail or to close a conversation with a final comment. We really struggled with smartphones and social media with our kids (we were raising 6 teenagers all at the same time last decade) and it was a constant battle to try to balance it. In the end, the kids ended up being great adults, but it took a lot of time and effort to fight those battles. 

I found that the best tool for parenting that I had was de-escalation. Rather than escalate anything, we tried to avoid conflict while at the same time continuing to have consequences for actions. That made a huge difference because we gave them relatively little to push back against, reducing the arguments and tension. It's always the tension they remember, so by eliminating that it allowed us to stay closer until they grew into adulthood.

Once they hit adulthood and people start doing it to them they realize more how important it is to communicate effectively. At least mine did. 

Every generation loses things. 

My kids have no idea what it's like to wait months for a record album to hit the stores, to desperately wait for song to come on the radio or a show to come onto the television. Ther'es really no end to the things we lose, unfortunately. 

All you can do is make your kids aware of what they're not even able to be aware of, and I do that regularly.

For Christmas I used to give my kids DVDs of movies they'd never watch, just to introduce them to culture they'd never experience otherwise. Moves like that really open their world, but it takes a little effort to figure out what sort of gifts would suit them and that they'd actually appreciate. 

k

On 9/6/2024 at 12:56 AM, VintageComics said:

Present company included. :wink:

Agreed that Gold Age sounds strange, but "Atom Age" is the more common phrase for comics of that era. 

I think because saying Golden and Atomic Age Comics is longer and sounds strange, I just happen to like the shorter Gold and Atom Age Comics.

And frankly, "comics from the Age of Atoms" sounds pretty darn cool if you ask me. :cloud9:

The English language is a difficult language to understand sometimes, as your extensive explanation of the word 'gold' shows. Many older languages don't have these problems (English is actually my 2nd language).

Yes, but then you'd have to ask when the "Age of Atoms" was.  Do we go back to the Ancient Greeks, or like I said earlier, John Dalton (or maybe Robert Brown) in the 1800s?

I think any language can be difficult to understand - especially if you don't start early in life.  It's like some of my Spanish-speaking friends said - nobody really speaks Spanish like you're taught in US schools.  It's too "perfect".  When speaking a language "perfectly", it's usually a dead giveaway you're not a native speaker.  English is my 3rd or 4th language, but I rarely speak my other languages and one of them I don't even speak at all anymore (completely forgotten).  I think I casually spoke a 4th one, but no clue about that one anymore, either.  Outside of that, I do remember very little of my high school French and Spanish.  So I speak maybe 1.5 - 1.75 languages.  These things happen when you grew up and lived most of your life in the US. :D

On 9/6/2024 at 9:15 AM, Bookery said:

All of those beautiful descriptions from Bradbury, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Kesey, Chandler... all the exquisite metaphors and similes... all will be gone.  Not only will upcoming authors no longer write like that, but it wouldn't be understood by their readers if they did.

That's certainly already true about James Joyce. 

As a guy that grew up in Eugene, I like that you threw Kesey into that group.

On 9/6/2024 at 4:30 PM, Professor K said:

I couldn't resist. My fathers favorite show. 

One of my favorite shows of all time.  I can't believe I'm running into it in a Golden Age comic forum. lol. :D  Hoppy & Smitty were the 2 best cops, but Swanhauser also pictured here and in some of these scenes had his moments.  Noam Pitlik who played "Swanny" actually won a few Emmys as a director for his work on Barney Miller.

On 9/6/2024 at 12:27 PM, Bookery said:

Then--

"The lawn started at the beach and ran toward the front door for a quarter of a mile, jumping over sun-dials and brick walks and burning gardens—finally when it reached the house drifting up the side in bright vines as though from the momentum of its run." - Great Gatsby

Now --

"That rich guy has a big yard".

@onlyweaknesskryptonite posted this clip over in the joke thread. It seems apropos here.

I recently read a book titled Bob, Son of Battle by Alfred Ollivant. It's a kids' book piblished in 1898. I read it in part because I wanted to see whether it was something I could use with my students. I realized that most kids today would not be able to manage the vocabulary and the heavy dialect used in the dialogue. It's a fantastic book, but I don't think one kid in twenty today would be able to get through it. I might still try to use it with the rare student who I think has the determination to finish it.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 9/6/2024 at 5:54 PM, sfcityduck said:

That's certainly already true about James Joyce. 

As a guy that grew up in Eugene, I like that you threw Kesey into that group.

My father was a professor at the University of Oregon for a couple of years, at the same time Kesey was teaching a writing course.  He had his own collection of rare books, and intended to ask Kesey to sign some of his first editions.  But Kesey was only there for a year, and their paths never crossed.

On 9/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, buttock said:

So every year or two you have a completely different "feel" in almost every aspect. 

"And they all feel good",

"Like I knew that they would, now."

-James Brown

GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 9/7/2024 at 1:44 PM, Silver Surfer said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a97d9fccbce4fbf286ec09631137e932.jpeg

I got it.