• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

250 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2024 at 5:36 PM, CGC Mike said:

I changed the capital A in atomic, and removed the caps in comic books, which have been like that for over 20 years.  

It now just doesn't look correct to me.  All other age-specific forums on this board have capitalized the age and the term, comic books.  This now displays, "Golden and atomic age comic books".  May I suggest capitalizing every word except, and?

• Administrator
On 9/8/2024 at 12:58 AM, fifties said:
On 9/5/2024 at 8:36 PM, CGC Mike said:

I changed the capital A in atomic, and removed the caps in comic books, which have been like that for over 20 years.  

It now just doesn't look correct to me.  All other age-specific forums on this board have capitalized the age and the term, comic books.  This now displays, "Golden and atomic age comic books".  May I suggest capitalizing every word except, and?

Done!

• Administrator
On 9/8/2024 at 2:20 AM, BOOT said:

I am all for it! May I please suggest...

Platinum Age & Victorian Age comic books

Victorian Age - 1837 - 1901
Platinum Age - 1901 - 1938

Thanks, Mike!

Do you mean create a different forum for these 2 ages?

On 9/8/2024 at 5:28 PM, CGC Mike said:

Do you mean create a different forum for these 2 ages?

If you're not going to change it back to Golden Age, then I'd suggest going with Platinum and Golden Age (and ditch the Atomic, PCH, Romance, Ducks, Teen, etc. sub-ages). Or, if you must keep the Atomic Age most of us don't favor adding to the title, then make it the Pre-Code (Platinum, Golden, and Atomic) Age forum. 

Well, this thread has really turned into something unexpected...and nobody can blame me for any of it. lol

On 9/9/2024 at 8:24 AM, Collect Stuff said:

Obadiah Oldbuck

Pretty sure someone needs to suggest Obadiah has his own forum to round this thread out.

On 9/9/2024 at 5:24 AM, Collect Stuff said:

Do you have a copy of Obadiah Oldbuck for sale?

No. But some so-called Platinum era (aka pre-Action 1) books are super cool and worth the prices paid. And obvious example: Detective Comics 1. 

Beerbohm's dead, so I think the Obadiah Oldbuck attack has lost its usefulness (which it never had as to me).

On 9/9/2024 at 5:12 AM, Collect Stuff said:

It's like I've been saying for 30 years, E.C. Comics are NOT Golden Age 👍

You say that like Golden Age is an insult, which it is not.

Moon Girl was clearly a Golden Age character and series, even if you limit that term to superhero comics. Or do you think its not an EC?

Moon Girl and the Prince #1

On 9/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, VintageComics said:

If anyone has any pics, I think it would be really neat to see successive covers of books in a series, as they transitioned from the GA to the Atom Age.

A pictorial guide to help visualize the changes, so to speak. 

So maybe choose a title and start showing images as the covers changed themes....

It would even be cool to have a thread for each transition, so one for GA to AA, and one for AA to SA...to help identify the AA visually. 

Or should we just do them all in this thread?

Thoughts?

All-American Comics #102 (Oct 1948) to All-American Western #103 (Nov 1948), dropping Green Lantern completely

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjA0YWFkMGNkLTc2ZDEtNDEzYS1hODU4LWExZTcwZDhhN2IyYS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjZjMWQ1OWYzLWM5OWYtNDdlNC04NDNkLWM1OWY4NzE2MDFiNy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

On 9/1/2024 at 3:58 PM, VintageComics said:

If anyone has any pics, I think it would be really neat to see successive covers of books in a series, as they transitioned from the GA to the Atom Age.

A pictorial guide to help visualize the changes, so to speak. 

So maybe choose a title and start showing images as the covers changed themes....

It would even be cool to have a thread for each transition, so one for GA to AA, and one for AA to SA...to help identify the AA visually. 

Or should we just do them all in this thread?

Thoughts?

Marvel Mystery Comics #92 (Jun 1949) to Marvel Tales #93, dropping the Human Torch and going "weird"

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImQzMWQyZWVhLWFhZjktNDMwOC05MTQ3LTIxZTFmY2NkNzEzNi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6ImFiMTFiYjZmLTI0ZTEtNDljNC1hMmMwLWQwZDI5NjEzZTExNi5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

On 9/9/2024 at 3:56 PM, Joseph Ragno said:

All-American Comics #102 (Oct 1948) to All-American Western #103 (Nov 1948), dropping Green Lantern completely

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjA0YWFkMGNkLTc2ZDEtNDEzYS1hODU4LWExZTcwZDhhN2IyYS5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJnb2NvbGxlY3QuaW1hZ2VzLnB1YiIsImtleSI6IjZjMWQ1OWYzLWM5OWYtNDdlNC04NDNkLWM1OWY4NzE2MDFiNy5qcGciLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjYwMH19fQ==.webp

I find this sort of thing really cool, and it would be a great way for people to post books from their collections that show that transition.

I'm really surprised this idea hasn't filled the thread with pics already. 

Thanks for posting those!

On 9/9/2024 at 3:59 PM, Collect Stuff said:

Are you saying E.C. Comics were not a (giant) step up from your usual GA books (written for 8 year olds) in both art and story?

No, just that they don't deserve their own forum. 

On 9/9/2024 at 4:00 PM, Collect Stuff said:

Why post any pics of comics on this forum. We can just find them all on the internet, right?