• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are you considering the "Atomic Age" as a thing?
7 7

250 posts in this topic

On 9/3/2024 at 11:59 PM, Dr. Love said:

really @CGC Mike  not even a poll? can't even get a decent card game together with the number of people who've chimed in on the name change

I'm not saying I'd vote against but c'mon 

Echoing @Dr. Love, Whoa, that was abrupt!

And I for one am voting AGAINST it.  I don't see what it adds, introduces an element of confusion in those that are unfamiliar with the term, and goes against decades of tradition.:pitchforkgif:      :flamethrower:

The other forums are single words: Silver, Copper, Bronze, Modern - simple, clean.  Maybe 'Modern Age' should become 'Modern Newsstand and Direct Age' to capture the change in distribution methods?  That was facetious.  Please don't get any ideas.  (tsk)

On 9/3/2024 at 10:45 PM, Telegan said:

But he did start the response with "Totes".  I don't know how I feel about that.

Indubitably. You got mad rizz.

On 9/3/2024 at 11:32 PM, Krydel4 said:

Since AC1 is considered the start of the GA, How about AC101 as the start of the Atomic Age... for synergy purposes...

The Atomic Age as a historic concept began at least a year before that cover and the first mushroom cloud covers on comics were cover dated at least 10 months earlier. So … no.

Especially since Action Comics has zero to do with any other pre or post-GA “age” concept.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 9/4/2024 at 1:32 AM, adamstrange said:

I'm not saying that it was the only cause of the downfall of Western Civilization, but it certainly hasn't looked good since we made that mistake.

If we're going to go there, this one is my favorite. 

image.jpeg.78ac0f98847c79068f48eccf9129ebb1.jpeg

On 9/4/2024 at 2:59 AM, Dr. Love said:

really @CGC Mike  not even a poll? can't even get a decent card game together with the number of people who've chimed in on the name change

I'm not saying I'd vote against but c'mon 

Agreed. Mike is very impulsive with some of his moderation decisions and this one makes no sense. 

Also, I don't think Ages should be plural in the title. 

Personally, I'm against the change as well. 

On 9/4/2024 at 10:04 AM, buttock said:

I prefer "Heavy Metal Parking Lot"

I'll have to check it out.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:29 AM, buttock said:

Have you never seen it!?!?  :whatthe:

I'm shy and have led a very sheltered life. 

But I did meet Don Dokken in a leather store on Melrose when he was ordering clothing for his reunion tour, years back. :D

On 9/4/2024 at 10:08 AM, VintageComics said:

Agreed. Mike is very impulsive with some of his moderation decisions and this one makes no sense. 

Also, I don't think Ages should be plural in the title. 

Personally, I'm against the change as well. 

+1

-bc

On 9/4/2024 at 2:59 AM, Dr. Love said:

It's not the quantity but the quality. :foryou:

On 9/4/2024 at 7:36 AM, VintageComics said:

I'm shy and have led a very sheltered life. 

But I did meet Don Dokken in a leather store on Melrose when he was ordering clothing for his reunion tour, years back. :D

Same.  This is the closest I've ever gotten ...

image.jpeg.b077e31b53d197f2fe08ff8af5a9d074.jpeg

Melrose is up the block from me (perpendicular to my street) but I wouldn't know Don Dokken (I'm assuming he is in the eponymous band) if I tripped over him (shrug)

Hey @VintageComics, are you local or was Melrose a tourist excursion?

On 9/4/2024 at 1:13 PM, kent allard said:

Melrose is up the block from me (perpendicular to my street) but I wouldn't know Don Dokken (I'm assuming he is in the eponymous band) if I tripped over him (shrug)

I was standing in LaRiga leather store on Melrose checking out some leather goods, and this guy was standing there chatting away to the store owner. I didn't recognize him, but I could tell he was being a bit difficult (which is par for the course with him, from what I understand).

His wife was standing there waiting for him, so I asked her "does your husband play music?"

She replied he did, so I asked which band and she pointed at the ceiling and said "this one" and it was this song playing... 

Dokken were a monster band out of LA in the 80's and then were knocked out of place by GNR, but George Lynch is still considered a monster on the guitar. They were genuinely a big deal back in the day. This song was done for the Freddy Kruger movie. 

I always found Patricia Arquette dreamy, especially when she got older. :cloud9:

On 9/4/2024 at 1:13 PM, kent allard said:

Hey @VintageComics, are you local or was Melrose a tourist excursion?

I like to frequent WeHo. They're my favorite stomping grounds as I'm a huge fan of the Hollywood and music history there. 

I was just there with two of my daughters, post San Diego.