• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

#1 - Walt Disney's Comics and Stories - Dell - 1940
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Blunted corners with a small spine split starting at top left corner, color breaking scratch from bottom edge, minor spine wear with multiple color breaking spine ticks, discolored staples, minor to moderate spine roll/stacking curl, multiple color breaking scratches/color rub on rear cover, writing indentations on rear cover, dent/piece missing(?) top edge of rear cover, minor foxing/discoloration on rear cover.

Note: This book may be graded more leniently by CGC and others due to its age of 84 years.

IMO...FN- 5.5

6.0 FINE (FN):  Back to Top
An above-average copy that shows minor wear but is still relatively flat and clean with no significant creasing or other serious defects. Some accumulation of minor bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases. Inks show a significant reduction in reflectivity. Blunted corners are more common, as is minor staining, soiling, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor spine roll is allowed. There can also be a 1/4" spine split or severe color break. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and a few slight stress lines may be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown and fairly supple with no signs of brittleness. Minor interior tears at the margin may be present. Centerfold may be loose.

5.5 FINE- (FN-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Fine but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

5.0 as is. Could be a grade or two higher if pressed. What a neat book. Thanks for posting.

I'm not entirely sold on the idea of heated pressings... Do they steam the paper first? Because adding water is damaging to old paper unless you immediately rinse away the acid it creates (hydration of atmospheric sulphur/nitrogen dioxides creates nitric and sulphuric acid, two of the most embrittling/hydrolyzing acids).

On 9/8/2024 at 7:39 AM, vheflin said:

6.0 as is, 7.5 after smashing and scrubbing

I'm starting to become disillusioned with the idea of grading... I would've expected the grade to be based purely on things that can't be changed. Either that, or I would expect the grading service to do the changeable things themselves, to both set a standard and dissuade pre-grade monkeying.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:24 PM, Silverfish Assassin said:

I'm starting to become disillusioned with the idea of grading... I would've expected the grade to be based purely on things that can't be changed. Either that, or I would expect the grading service to do the changeable things themselves, to both set a standard and dissuade pre-grade monkeying.

I recently saw the same copy of a desirable issue go from 8.0 to 9.6 due to a scrunched corner that was flattened.  Now in a 9.6 slab, it became single highest graded. This moved the value from $4k -> $40k, all from a press.

Pressing and grading has made comic collecting quite odd, indeed.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:55 AM, vheflin said:

I recently saw the same copy of a desirable issue go from 8.0 to 9.6 due to a scrunched corner that was flattened.  Now in a 9.6 slab, it became single highest graded. This moved the value from $4k -> $40k, all from a press.

See, that's all I'm trying to avoid - I don't want to be the chump who gave away tens of thousands of dollars. Not again. My attempts at selling have mostly gotten nowhere though. Feels like this whole industry has gotten fat and lazy since COVID, now everyone expects to do none of the work and take (collectively) half of the profit. 

Pressing and grading has made comic collecting quite odd, indeed.

Coming from a background that's more conservation than comics, I can tell you that conservators the world over are pressing paper, but the standard practice is to rehydrate it and let it dry for a day between two heavy sheets of glass. I've never used a heated press to flatten paper. The process of adding heat and moisture to unwashed paper is how I'd describe rapid artificial aging btw.

Edited by Silverfish Assassin