• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM M-G-M's Lassie #1 (1950)
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Generally tight. Pages are in good shape, not brittle. More white than off-white but unsure if would get the just "white". Colors are strong.
No running or smears. There is one top-of-staple pull about 3/16" on the BC, and a 1/16" on another staple BC, with FC just one 1/16" top-of-staple. 
The name and a little pen circles and small heart in the "L" on the FC are the only writing. The white area near spine is not from surface rubbing.

lassie1cover.JPG

lassie1back.JPG

Edited by Q.N.S.

Without a clear pic of the entire front and rear covers I can only go by what I can see...

Blunted corners, multiple color breaking scratches/color rub throughtout the entire cover, moderate spine wear with multiple color breaking stress lines, writing/doodling/scribbling on cover, possible spine roll.

IMO...VG- 3.5 to VG 4.0

4.0 VERY GOOD (VG):  Back to Top
The average used comic book. Cover shows moderate to significant wear, and may be loose but not completely detached. Cover reflectivity is low. Can have moderate creases or dimples. Corners may be blunted. Store stamps, name stamps, arrival dates, initials, etc. have no effect on this grade. Some discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor soiling is allowed. As much as a 1/4" triangle can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" square is also acceptable. Only minor unobtrusive tape and other amateur repair allowed on otherwise high grade copies. Moderate spine roll may be present and/or a 1" spine split. Staples may be discolored. Minor to moderate staple tears and stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

3.5 VERY GOOD- (VG-):  Back to Top
Fits the criteria for Very Good but with an additional defect or small accumulation of defects that detracts from the book's appearance by a perceptible amount.

3.0 GOOD/VERY GOOD (GD/VG):  Back to Top
A used comic book showing some substantial wear. Cover shows significant wear, and may be loose or even detached at one staple. Cover reflectivity is very low. Can have a book-length crease and/or dimples. Corners may be blunted or even rounded. Discoloration, fading, foxing, and even minor to moderate soiling is allowed. A triangle from 1/4" to 1/2" can be missing out of the corner or edge; a missing 1/8" to 1/4" square is also acceptable. Tape and other amateur repair may be present. Moderate spine roll likely. May have a spine split of anywhere from 1" to 1-1/2". Staples may be rusted or replaced. Minor to moderate staple tears and moderate stress lines may be present, as well as some rust migration. Paper is brown but not brittle. Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple. Minor to moderate interior tears may be present.

thanks guys. exactly what i thought. having the book in hand, i lean more towards the 4.0, but that's impossible to express with scans. 

what surprises me about this book and it's only predecessor, Lassie's first appearance, which was about six months earlier, in the promotional comic 

Adventures of Lassie, for Red Heart dog food (1949), is that both of them are so low on the CGC census count. I don't see how it can be chalked up to a 
lack of value. I suspect that both books are somewhat rare, esp. the promo. They do not appear to be transacted often. I also suspect that those who slab books are not the type of hobbyists who would hunt down Lassie, and those who own it are older and not disposed to slabbing. That's my theory anyway, but it's still been a long time for slabbing now, and the counts are like 7 and 14 total. If anyone has an opinion on this, let it rip.

There's so few slabbed copies precisely because of a lack of value and interest. There's currently 4 copies for sale on ebay ranging in price from $25 - $135; My Comic Shop has 3 listed on their website priced from $28 - $41. A copy on ebay sold in August for $10 and another earlier this month for $99. I wouldn't consider it a rare book. Overstreet lists VG at $54, which might even be a tad generous.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:05 PM, dick pontoon said:

There's so few slabbed copies precisely because of a lack of value and interest. There's currently 4 copies for sale on ebay ranging in price from $25 - $135; My Comic Shop has 3 listed on their website priced from $28 - $41. A copy on ebay sold in August for $10 and another earlier this month for $99. I wouldn't consider it a rare book. Overstreet lists VG at $54, which might even be a tad generous.

Not what I see. On Ebay I see: 

Raw, "good plus" $49 + 6.9 sh mycomicshop
Raw, "good" $34 mycomicshop
Raw, "good minus" $22 also mycomicshop
Raw, "VG/FN" $90 qualitycomix 
Raw, looks VG at best, $135 plus 6.5 sh - automatic_comics 
Raw, auction just started, $10 in Fair timeless_consignment_ct 
CGC 7.0 $550 free shipping redhoodcomics

So that's about half from MCS. And you're way off on the range. 
Let's check Sold: 

9/5: $99 Raw "higher" grade, 8/16 "good", $10, 8/1 CGC 4.5 $250.00 obo "best offer accepted" mycomicshop
Some elsewhere. 
MyComicShop internal listings are the same books as above just a couple dollars different for Ebay

Metropolis/ComicConnect - one copy, Fair. $15  
ComicLink - nothing. HipComics - nothing 
Mile High Fair to Fine $62-$350
Overstreet 2017 edition has VG at 46 but 9.4 at $550 so I don't know how generous going up $8 in 7 years is. 

On 9/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, Q.N.S. said:

Both of them are so low on the CGC census count. I don't see how it can be chalked up to a lack of value. I suspect that both books are somewhat rare.  If anyone has an opinion on this, let it rip.

Lassie #1 (Dell, 1950) is a nifty book, but it's by no means rare or even scarce.  Typically, about 10 copies sell on eBaay each year.  Source.

In most cases (including this one), CGC Census count is most strongly related to value rather than rarity.  When an issue has reasonable value in mid grade, mid-grade specimens will be submitted to CGC.  When an issue has minimal value in mid grade (say, less than the cost of certification), mid-grade specimens generally will not be submitted to CGC.  This should be evident by comparing the census counts for Lassie #1 (a 4.0 guide value of about $50) with those for Lassie #2-5 (4.0 guide values of $10~20).  Are issues #2-5 seven to fourteen times more rare than issue #1?  Of course not.  The much, much lower census count for issues #2-5 is due entirely to the much lower value those issues have in the 3.0~7.0 range.

L2.thumb.png.2f950081a8562179f48fbe2b6719feb3.png

:foryou:

On 9/13/2024 at 6:11 PM, zzutak said:

Lassie #1 (Dell, 1950) is a nifty book, but it's by no means rare or even scarce.  Typically, about 10 copies sell on eBaay each year.  Source.

In most cases (including this one), CGC Census count is most strongly related to value rather than rarity.  When an issue has reasonable value in mid grade, mid-grade specimens will be submitted to CGC.  When an issue has minimal value in mid grade (say, less than the cost of certification), mid-grade specimens generally will not be submitted to CGC.  This should be evident by comparing the census counts for Lassie #1 (a 4.0 guide value of about $50) with those for Lassie #2-5 (4.0 guide values of $10~20).  Are issues #2-5 seven to fourteen times more rare than issue #1?  Of course not.  The much, much lower census count for issues #2-5 is due entirely to the much lower value those issues have in the 3.0~7.0 range.

L2.thumb.png.2f950081a8562179f48fbe2b6719feb3.png

:foryou:

Yes, but I never said Lassie #1 was scarce or rare. But I'm starting to think it may be in HIGH grade. The money is there for higher grade. Yet, look at that count. It is ridiculous. I think it is an interesting case. The first appearance on the Adventures of Lassie 1949 certainly appears rare. Probably in any grade.

On 9/14/2024 at 9:24 AM, Q.N.S. said:

Yes, but I never said Lassie #1 was scarce or rare

hm

On 9/11/2024 at 8:39 AM, Q.N.S. said:

I don't see how it can be chalked up to a lack of value. I suspect that both books are somewhat rare

:whistle:

On 9/13/2024 at 2:21 PM, Q.N.S. said:

Not what I see. On Ebay I see: 

Raw, "good plus" $49 + 6.9 sh mycomicshop
Raw, "good" $34 mycomicshop
Raw, "good minus" $22 also mycomicshop
Raw, "VG/FN" $90 qualitycomix 
Raw, looks VG at best, $135 plus 6.5 sh - automatic_comics 
Raw, auction just started, $10 in Fair timeless_consignment_ct 
CGC 7.0 $550 free shipping redhoodcomics

So that's about half from MCS. And you're way off on the range. 
Let's check Sold: 

9/5: $99 Raw "higher" grade, 8/16 "good", $10, 8/1 CGC 4.5 $250.00 obo "best offer accepted" mycomicshop
Some elsewhere. 
MyComicShop internal listings are the same books as above just a couple dollars different for Ebay

Metropolis/ComicConnect - one copy, Fair. $15  
ComicLink - nothing. HipComics - nothing 
Mile High Fair to Fine $62-$350
Overstreet 2017 edition has VG at 46 but 9.4 at $550 so I don't know how generous going up $8 in 7 years is. 

Best offer accepted on the CGC 4.5 was $150.