• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
9 9

452 posts in this topic

I wonder if 'ol Stan is watching down from the heavenly bullpen and enjoying all this...I bet he is 100%

:smile:

92fdbf0d7aa0e52d9888d9fb05f29a40.jpg

Edited by Paul © ® ⚽️💙™

On 9/17/2024 at 10:03 PM, Book Guy said:

My question to the more knowledgeable than me is: can anyone turn up interviews from writers/artists etc who worked for Stan where they state the opposite of what the Author maintains? i.e. "I worked with Stan and he provided me a full script"...Or "I got a three page outline for the story and then we talked back-and-forth over the phone at least a dozen times over the next week to hammer out the plot"... etc etc  Evidence from the horse's mouth that would be considered exculpatory or a refutation.

I'm hardly the most knowledgeable on this topic, however what I can say from simply observing some of the dynamics that have occurred over the years is that Steranko's testimonial (if you can even call it that) is perhaps the most well-known. This started with an epic retelling of how he "person_without_enough_empathy-slapped" Bob Kane in an elevator. As he's telling this over a multi-tweet thread on Twitter, someone asks him about Lee. For posterity, here are the main links to that exchange.

Jim Steranko
@iamsteranko @texaswingnut What do you mean by taking "Lee-like credit" away from someone?

Jim Steranko
@iamsteranko.@CarlShinyama @texaswingnut
You guys may know a lot more than I do about Stan swindling Jack--I was only THERE at the time!

Jim Steranko
@iamsteranko .@CarlShinyama @texaswingnut
and can unequivocally confirm that Stan diminished no one's contribution. I was there--and observing carefully!

The truth is he lived in Reading Pennsylvania. By the time he began selling work to Marvel, Ditko and Wood had already quit and all the major characters had been created. At the time (11 years ago), his tweets made him emerge as this bigger than life personality, who gave Kane his dues. The story as it was told was epic, especially for anyone who had come to learn how Kane treated Finger. As an artist himself, it would presumably be a way of righting a wrong, and he, the kind of person who would abhor any deceptive effort to conceal or obscure rightful acknowledgement and compensation, so I was totally good with knowing Steranko did what he did to Bob Kane. However I often wished it just remained as a singular event (the Bob Kane story), because when it was rightly brought up how Stan Lee liberally took creator rights (and pay) like some half-eaten lolipop, Steranko should have just kept out of it instead of spreading and perpetuating a lie. It invalidates the whole experience for me, and I can't trust the Kane story is even true anymore.

There are others who have also defended Lee, nearly all with ulterior motives. This is one that got a lot of traction and views, and figured most would recall. This blog post covers a few others.

Edited by comicwiz

On 9/17/2024 at 7:30 PM, VintageComics said:

Both you and Comicwiz have done the same thing, repeating this but not actually answering my questions.

You use the "truth is incontrovertible" quote in your sig, and you seem to either be a potent combination of panic or ignorance, maybe both, but all I've done is post the truth. Your inabiity to handle it is the issue here, don't characterize it as anything else. And if you prefer to tip toe around it, or back peddle, don't do it without at least acknolwedging people are taking time/effort to respond civily, and with references to real events, not made up observations unrelated to the industry. 

Edited by comicwiz

On 9/17/2024 at 8:44 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Short of doing a book tour, this these actions are normal and expected when releasing a book. (shrug)

I'll jump back in for this one.  Yes.  Exactly!  It was not a put-down.  I was dove-tailing back to my point that ballyhoo can be an effective means of marketing.  I most certainly did not condemn Prince Namor for employing it!  If you had included the full quote, and read my previous posts, this should have been obvious.

On 9/18/2024 at 7:03 PM, comicwiz said:

I'm hardly the most knowledgeable on this topic, however what I can say from simply observing some of the dynamics that have occurred over the years is that Steranko's testimonial (if you can even call it that) is perhaps the most well-known. This started with an epic retelling of how he "person_without_enough_empathy-slapped" Bob Kane in an elevator. As he's telling this over a multi-tweet thread on Twitter, someone asks him about Lee. For posterity, here are the main links to that exchange.

Jim Steranko
@iamsteranko @texaswingnut What do you mean by taking "Lee-like credit" away from someone?

Jim Steranko
You guys may know a lot more than I do about Stan swindling Jack--I was only THERE at the time!

Jim Steranko
and can unequivocally confirm that Stan diminished no one's contribution. I was there--and observing carefully!

The truth is he lived in Reading Pennsylvania. By the time he began selling work to Marvel, Ditko and Wood had already quit and all the major characters had been created. At the time (11 years ago), his tweets made him emerge as this bigger than life personality, who gave Kane his dues. The story as it was told was epic, especially for anyone who had come to learn how Kane treated Finger. As an artist himself, it would presumably be a way of righting a wrong, and he, the kind of person who would abhor any deceptive effort to conceal or obscure rightful acknowledgement and compensation, so I was totally good with knowing Steranko did what he did to Bob Kane. However I often wished it just remained as a singular event (the Bob Kane story), because when it was rightly brought up how Stan Lee liberally took creator rights (and pay) like some half-eaten lolipop, Steranko should have just kept out of it instead of spreading and perpetuating a lie. It invalidates the whole experience for me, and I can't trust the Kane story is even true anymore.

There are others who have also defended Lee, nearly all with ulterior motives. This is one that got a lot of traction and views, and figured most would recall. This blog post covers a few others.

I orginally answered that tweet with "Not in 1961 you weren't". He didn't like that. I've since deleted my Twitter account, so I have no idea if it's still there or not. 

Even without that hypocritical garabage, Steranko was a... MY opinion, an anoying character. He was the hero of every story, and he knew every one, and he's so great, blah blah blah. The dude has the smallest body of work of anyone with that much popularity in the history of comics. It was pretty cool stuff. But it ended fairly fast, because Lee ran HIM out of Marvel as well. 

Edited by Prince Namor

On 9/18/2024 at 6:42 AM, Prince Namor said:

Both ruthless business people hiding behind a 'family man, good guy' facade while without moral conscience dealing and/or eliminating anyone or anything in their way to make as much money as possible?

As far as I know Stan didn't murder anybody or deal drugs.

I just meant they looked similar.

It was of course meant to be ironic.

But yet again, for the umpteenth time, I will ask you this question and sincerely hope you will give me an answer.....

You have accused SL of stealing pay numerous times and doubled down on that assertion, correct?

Stealing is worse than lying, correct?

Why then did you not incorporate this into the title of your book?

@Prince Namor I'll be ordering a copy to take on holiday Chuck - well done on getting this published.

For me, I think that good people do bad things, bad people do good things, and no one person can ever really be one or the other all of their lives. I believe in fairness though, and if Stan intentionally took credit and more from those who earned it then that is something that people should be able to read about and make their own minds up about. The thought of speaking ill of the dead doesn't appeal in general, but if he led his life largely free from these accusations, and yet they're true, fully or in part, then it's only right that they get their airing now so that those with an interest in the hobby can more fully understand what was going on. In that sense, you've done the hobby a service, I think. 

I'll let you know what I think. 

The only one's who stayed at Marvel were the one's who didn't question the way things worked and didn't ask for plot credit.

How's THAT for great motivational management?

Stan always took the position of "Gee, I don't know WHY Steve left..." and "I had no idea Jack was even mad".

Some leader.

On 9/18/2024 at 8:14 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

@Prince Namor I'll be ordering a copy to take on holiday Chuck - well done on getting this published.

For me, I think that good people do bad things, bad people do good things, and no one person can ever really be one or the other all of their lives. I believe in fairness though, and if Stan intentionally took credit and more from those who earned it then that is something that people should be able to read about and make their own minds up about. The thought of speaking ill of the dead doesn't appeal in general, but if he led his life largely free from these accusations, and yet they're true, fully or in part, then it's only right that they get their airing now so that those with an interest in the hobby can more fully understand what was going on. In that sense, you've done the hobby a service, I think. 

I'll let you know what I think. 

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it! There's a great deal of seldom seen quotes in it from a lot of sources, including my Interview with artist Drew Friedman. His dad, writer Bruce Jay Freidman, worked in Goodman's Magazine Management for years right next to Stan. 

On 9/18/2024 at 8:08 PM, Paul © ® 💙™ said:

As far as I know Stan didn't murder anybody or deal drugs.

I just meant they looked similar.

It was of course meant to be ironic.

But yet again, for the umpteenth time, I will ask you this question and sincerely hope you will give me an answer.....

You have accused SL of stealing pay numerous times and doubled down on that assertion, correct?

Stealing is worse than lying, correct?

Why then did you not incorporate this into the title of your book?

The BOOK is about him LYING all through 'The Origins of Marvel Comics'.

Not about him STEALING the pay or STEALING the credit from the artists who wrote the stories. 

It's IN there. Because that's a part of his history.

But the whole PURPOSE of the book is THIS:

Marvel CONCEEDED that Kirby (and Ditko, and Heck, etc.) did more than they were paid for and weren't credited enough toward the creation of the characters, by surrending in the lawsuits and PAYING the estates of those families. 

DESPITE this, Marvel have continued to push the obnoxiously BS story that Stan created everything and then just assigned an artist to do the job.

That 2023 Disney documentary on Lee was a grotesque abomination. 

When I heard they were releasing a new edition of The Origins of Marvel Comics, I wanted to tell the REAL story. I wanted to show how much that book is a LIE. It's time the truth was told. 

And what better way to start than by showing just HOW MUCH Lee could lie in his first attempt at stating his case in 1974.

Edited by Prince Namor

I have a plan for how I'm going to lay this out. This is just the FIRST book. I may do a book a year for the next ten years. My research has grown and grown and grown. There's a book coming out next year by JL Mast where he's going to show documents that prove Goodman was going to shut down Marvel (just before we know Kirby walked in)  - again showing Lee lied - he always denied they were shutting down - PLUS, proof that Lee used Ghostwriters to dialogue some of the comics as early as the late 60's. 

There's SO MUCH documentation out there that people hadn't realized they could sort through and read - Stan Lee Archves at the University of Wyoming - (Stan had Golden Age scripts from writers at Timely and Atlas, but none of his own or Larry his brother...Hmmmm), Public Records of New York City.... it's like every year more information becomes available just by looking at what's in plain sight.

It's exciting to me. I'm one of the people on the front end of correcting the history of Comic Books in America.

On 9/18/2024 at 2:38 PM, Prince Namor said:

The BOOK is about him LYING all through 'The Origins of Marvel Comics'.

Not about him STEALING the pay or STEALING the credit from the artists who wrote the stories. 

It's IN there. Because that's a part of his history.

But the whole PURPOSE of the book is THIS:

Marvel CONCEEDED that Kirby (and Ditko, and Heck, etc.) did more than they were paid for and weren't credited enough toward the creation of the characters, by surrending in the lawsuits and PAYING the estates of those families. 

DESPITE this, Marvel have continued to push the obnoxiously BS story that Stan created everything and then just assigned an artist to do the job.

That 2023 Disney documentary on Lee was a grotesque abomination. 

When I heard they were releasing a new edition of The Origins of Marvel Comics, I wanted to tell the REAL story. I wanted to show how much that book is a LIE. It's time the truth was told. 

And what better way to start than by showing just HOW MUCH Lee could lie in his first attempt at stating his case in 1974.

Well, thank you at least for answering the question.

I have to say in all seriousness that the title STAN LEE WAS A THIEF is pure dynamite as far as I can see. I'm not encouraging besmirching his name even though everything you assert may indeed be true but THAT title would seem to be the headline in my view.  hm

On 9/18/2024 at 8:03 AM, comicwiz said:

Jim Steranko

Jim Steranko

Jim Steranko

But there are others who have defended Lee...  and others who have bashed him. 

I've read accounts from Romita and Ayers that were positive, though I'm not sure they directly dabbled into stealing credit. 

I've also read the stories about Everett and Burgos who were decidedly unhappy with Lee and his use of their charters in the 60s.  

And I think that's the real story and the balanced levity that is needed.  He did an awful lot of good. He also did some bad.  History is rarely black and white and it's unfair to try to paint it that way.