• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Lied - Your Handy Guide to Every Lie in the 'Origins of Marvel Comics'
11 11

2,600 posts in this topic

On 10/5/2024 at 8:00 AM, Prince Namor said:

"After deep diving into the published history and careers of both creators for 30 years now, there’s no other way I can see this coming about. I do not believe the official version told since the Origins books in 1974. From a factual historical data perspective, they make no sense whatsoever. Neither does a side by side comparison of both creator’s entire careers. You’ve got to approach this like a course in medieval comparative literature, coming in with no set agenda and allowing the historical published evidence to help guide your deductions, not emotions."

The above was Michael (Doc) Vassallo's conclusion about the endless "who created what" debate. I see it as a model for how we should proceed.

Edited by Dr. Haydn
added "Michael"

On 10/5/2024 at 3:24 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

The fact that Lee continued to perpetuate the lie by not stressing Jack & Steve's contributions, that he solely created everything and never corrected that point whenever he could is the main gist of this, yes?

Can't everyone agree on that?

No, because as previously mentioned...............

"In the ‘60s or even the ‘70s, the idea that two people had come up with something was thought by reporters, and some editors, to be too complicated for a general interest story. Stan would very often be credited as the creator of X, Y and Z, but he was pretty careful generally about crediting his artists, even at the times where he said that he himself had created the idea, he would still say “But I couldn’t have done it without Kirby or Ditko.” I think he was partly a victim of the oversimplification the media did. I think there were probably times when he also preempted that simplification and figured that this story would be too complicated, and so just regarded himself as the creator. There was no one way he talked about stuff. I think if he was talking to a comic audience convention that would be more knowledgeable, he readily acknowledged it. There’s the extreme view that Stan didn’t do anything, which I don’t think is true. And there’s the other extreme view that he did everything, which is also not true."

Sure, Stan was 'economical with the truth' but a liar? It was the Marvel Method, like it or not. The 'method' that made Marvel popular worldwide and, added value (IMHO) to the work of every creator that worked for Marvel. Why anyone takes any notice of the 'Origins' book is beyond me. I see that merely as a kind of publicity pamphlet, nothing more. However, as a 10 yr old, back in the day I would have loved to have had that book if I'd seen it for sale, anywhere in the UK. 

Edited by mrc
edit

On 10/5/2024 at 9:14 AM, namisgr said:

In #83, our hero fights a wave of aliens invading Earth.

In #84, our hero fights the Cuban-like south-central American communist threat.

In #86, our hero fights a time traveler from the future using a time machine.

In #87, our hero fights the eastern European communist threat.

In #88, Jane Foster was central to the plot, romance-tinged or not.

In #89, the conflict revolved around a Thug Thatcher and his mob.

So it was far, far from just the romance angle of the title that needed way more development than was given from the early issues you imply are written by Kirby.

Since there is no actual proof of who created what in Thor and Gower has even admitted that's the case, it's far easier to believe that the guy in charge of all content at Marvel had some sort of input into the creation of Thor than that Kirby did it unilaterally. 

On 10/5/2024 at 9:00 AM, Prince Namor said:

You’ve got to approach this like a course in medieval comparative literature, coming in with no set agenda and allowing the historical published evidence to help guide your deductions, not emotions."

Then your public discourse on the subject material should be that way. 

You can't come into a group of people who don't have the same wealth and breadth of material under their belt, attack their beliefs with harsh oppressive truths and just hit them over the head with your conclusions, which is what this thread has been. It's more of a battering ram than a discussion. 

That's the main reason you're receiving such opposition to the subject and why accomplished authors use publicists etc to spread the word. 

That and you sometimes contradict yourself like you did with the Thor Kirby / Lee quotes I addressed last night or don't really speak to the discussion but redirect back to your conclusion rather than have the discussion in an objective fashion.

If you're going to do all the legwork yourself, it needs to be in a way that's instructive, not forceful. 

Personally, I've come to accept from this conversation that Stan has taken more credit than he probably deserved regarding stories, but from the same discussion I've also come to realize Stan did a lot of things for which he probably didn't receive credit for, or better said, added intangibles as an 'editor' (and let's face it, he was more - he was a fill in man, the glue of Marvel) that would be akin to a producer adding something vital to a hit song that he received no direct credit for but the producer was also involved in distribution, management and a few other things.

On 10/5/2024 at 11:22 AM, mrc said:

Sure, Stan was 'economical with the truth' but a liar?

Stan may have been liberal with the truth on some fronts, but he was generous with his efforts on others. 

The reason Kirby or Ditko couldn't have done it alone, is because they were artists and not businesspeople.

Artists and creative types think differently, psychologically - artists are generally "agreeable" psychologically and "liberal" with their ideas - they are the fantasizers, but terrible business people. They're "just" creators and generally "yes" types.

Managers are are far LESS "agreeable" and far more "conservative" in the way they approach things. The correct psychological term is "disagreeable" personality wise. The reason they make good managers is BECAUSE THEY SAY NO far more easily than "agreeable" creator types whose psychological "yes" makeup makes them open to creating and breaking boundaries. 

They are fundamentally at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

I'm friends with dozens if not HUNDREDS of artists in various industries. Most of them are world class talents but unsuccessful. Why? Because they don't know how to manage and promote themselves. The two psychological types are at opposite ends of the spectrum from each other and therefore their business senses are as well. 

It's very rare for people to be able to be creative and structured enough to be able to manage effectively. 

Stan seemed to be both. 

Stan was the glue that held the company together and directed all of it - creators, staff (bullpen whether virtual or physical), the vibe, the concepts, the over-arcing direction - all of it. 

Stan was Marvel the Marvel Branding that no other company had, and as this discussion progresses, that becomes more clear. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 10/5/2024 at 6:00 AM, Prince Namor said:

(Michael Vassollo): "I do not believe the official version told since the Origins books in 1974. From a factual historical data perspective, they make no sense whatsoever. Neither does a side by side comparison of both creator’s entire careers. You’ve got to approach this like a course in medieval comparative literature, coming in with no set agenda and allowing the historical published evidence to help guide your deductions, not emotions."

^^

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

On 10/5/2024 at 10:30 PM, VintageComics said:

Since there is no actual proof of who created what in Thor and Gower has even admitted that's the case, it's far easier to believe that the guy in charge of all content at Marvel had some sort of input into the creation of Thor than that Kirby did it unilaterally. 

What?

The guy who had no experience writing adventure stories? 

Again, Dr. Michale J Vassollo: "I do not believe the official version told since the Origins books in 1974. From a factual historical data perspective, they make no sense whatsoever. Neither does a side by side comparison of both creator’s entire careers. You’ve got to approach this like a course in medieval comparative literature, coming in with no set agenda and allowing the historical published evidence to help guide your deductions, not emotions."

Everything in Jack's career shows him to be the type of creator to come up with an updated vesion of Thor. Nothing in Lee's history shows him to be that person.

Then your public discourse on the subject material should be that way. 

You can't come into a group of people who don't have the same wealth and breadth of material under their belt, attack their beliefs with harsh oppressive truths and just hit them over the head with your conclusions, which is what this thread has been. It's more of a battering ram than a discussion. 

That's the main reason you're receiving such opposition to the subject and why accomplished authors use publicists etc to spread the word. 

Right. I'M the oppressive one.

That and you sometimes contradict yourself like you did with the Thor Kirby / Lee quotes I addressed last night or don't really speak to the discussion but redirect back to your conclusion rather than have the discussion in an objective fashion.

I didn't contradict myself at all. Both quotes are an approach to how they SAY they created the character.

If you're going to do all the legwork yourself, it needs to be in a way that's instructive, not forceful. 

Personally, I've come to accept from this conversation that Stan has taken more credit than he probably deserved regarding stories, but from the same discussion I've also come to realize Stan did a lot of things for which he probably didn't receive credit for,

What??? What did Stan do that he didn't get credit for?

or better said, added intangibles as an 'editor' (and let's face it, he was more - he was a fill in man, the glue of Marvel) that would be akin to a producer adding something vital to a hit song that he received no direct credit for but the producer was also involved in distribution, management and a few other things.

Yeah, ok. Lack of credit was never Stan's shortcoming. He gave himself plenty of credit.

On 10/5/2024 at 11:22 AM, mrc said:

No, because as previously mentioned...............

"In the ‘60s or even the ‘70s, the idea that two people had come up with something was thought by reporters, and some editors, to be too complicated for a general interest story. Stan would very often be credited as the creator of X, Y and Z, but he was pretty careful generally about crediting his artists, even at the times where he said that he himself had created the idea, he would still say “But I couldn’t have done it without Kirby or Ditko.” I think he was partly a victim of the oversimplification the media did. I think there were probably times when he also preempted that simplification and figured that this story would be too complicated, and so just regarded himself as the creator. There was no one way he talked about stuff. I think if he was talking to a comic audience convention that would be more knowledgeable, he readily acknowledged it. There’s the extreme view that Stan didn’t do anything, which I don’t think is true. And there’s the other extreme view that he did everything, which is also not true."

Sure, Stan was 'economical with the truth' but a liar? It was the Marvel Method, like it or not. The 'method' that made Marvel popular worldwide and, added value (IMHO) to the work of every creator that worked for Marvel. Why anyone takes any notice of the 'Origins' book is beyond me. I see that as merely as a kind of publicity pamphlet, nothing more. However, as a 10 yr old, back in the day I would have loved to have had that book if I'd seen it for sale, anywhere in the UK. 

"Economical with the truth" is just double-talk for lying. Sheesh.

Plus, just because people were too stupid to wrap their heads around two individuals creating one thing doesn't mean it was the right thing to present publicly.

On 10/5/2024 at 10:36 PM, VintageComics said:

Stan may have been liberal with the truth on some fronts, but he was generous with his efforts.

He stole credit and pay from his artists for the entire Silver Age.

The reason Kirby or Ditko couldn't have done it alone, is because they were artists and not businesspeople. Artists and creative types think differently, psychologically - they are generally "agreeable" psychologically and "liberal" with their ideas - they are the fantasizers, but terrible business people. They're "just" creators.

Managers are are far LESS "agreeable" and far more "conservative" in the way they approach things. The correct psychological term is "disagreeable" personality wise. The reason they make good managers is BECAUSE THEY SAY NO far more easily than "agreeable" creator types whose psychological "yes" makeup makes them open to creating and breaking boundaries. 

They are fundamentally at opposite ends of the spectrum. 

I'm friends with dozens if not HUNDREDS of artists in various industries. Most of them are world class talents but unsuccessful. Why? Because they don't know how to manage and promote themselves. The two psychological types are usually at opposite ends of the spectrum from each other. 

It's very rare for people to be able to be creative and structured enough to be able to manage effectively. 

Stan seemed to be both.

LOL. Without artists writing the stories, it's LEE who would've had nothing. 

The writer/artist can always create on his own. His reward isn't FAME and GLORY. It's creating art. So he can be successful regardless of being managed or not. Ditko earned a living the rest of his life drawing and writing stories. Kirby earned a living the rest of his life creating, drawing and writing. Lee sucked the teet of Kirby/Ditko creations the rest of his life because he had no ability to manage anyone else and certainly couldn't create anything on his own.

How did his business ventures work out the rest of his life without a Kirby or Ditko?

Stan was the glue that held the company together and directed all of it - creators, staff (bullpen whether virtual or physical), the vibe, the concepts, the over-arcing direction - all of it. 

Stan was Marvel the Marvel Branding that no other company had, and as this discussion progresses, that becomes more clear. 

None of it would've happened without Jack Kirby. He saved the company.

Stan Lee before Kirby: 1957, at the point of going out of Business.

Stan Lee after Kirby: 1977, on the verge of bankruptcy.

FACT.

On 10/5/2024 at 8:30 AM, VintageComics said:

TYou can't come into a group of people who don't have the same wealth and breadth of material under their belt, attack their beliefs with harsh oppressive truths and just hit them over the head with your conclusions, which is what this thread has been. It's more of a battering ram than a discussion. 

cgcmanipulativelanguage.png.a6026d62ab991a704e483521e121f3be.png

On 10/5/2024 at 8:30 AM, VintageComics said:

Top 22 Unsolicited Advice Quotes

On 10/5/2024 at 5:35 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

"Economical with the truth" is just double-talk for lying. Sheesh.

"To be economical with the truth literally means to avoid revealing too much of the truth. The idea may have an approbatory sense of prudence or diplomacy, and is often either used euphemistically to denote dissimulation".