• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,757 posts in this topic

I have started a knew sketchbook since the first one was filled up at Gothenburg book fair last September. So far there are four sketches in it which I now have scanned and displayed on CAF:

skissbok_nov_14.jpg

Roger Rabbit (the civilian Captain Carrot) at the drawing board by Scott Shaw!, Tinker Bell by Shelly Block, "Don't mess with me"-Hopey by Jaime Hernandez & the mad serial killer from the swedish strip Bitter Animals by Johanna Kristiansson (who is based on me, BTW).

Click on the image to get to the CAF gallery where they can be viewed in a larger format.

Posted four new-ish pieces. 3 from Rose City Comic Con (Sept 2014) and 1 from Dallas Comic Con (Oct 2014).

My first Jam piece built around a printed high resolution scan of my Joe Kubert Sgt. Rock. I give you Easy Company.

aktvHhil_0811140138391.jpg

Bursting from the page in grand Kirby tradition is Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon

zQL9muZg_0711141955061.jpg

From the new book, Lumberjanes, I present the Lumberjanes as drawn by their letterer, Aubrey Aiese.

vFlgiPyZ_0811140154021.jpg

In Dallas, I picked up a copy of the Mike Zeck retrospective book from the recent Comic Art Museum show in San Francisco. Mike had two left with sketches. I took Batman.

0vQBTmYx_0811140214131.jpg

During my being good sale, someone asked about a Hitman splash I had. I was at first reluctant, since it was my only example, but hey I was trying to be good so I sold it.

Of course later on I had a chance to buy a cover so I did. I'm still good right? :)

CAF Link

Thanks for looking!

Malvin

I have shared some stuff that I recently picked up and quietly tucked some other stuff away.

Here is where I show my age...

Picked up a page a few months ago from GI Joe 20 which was one of the first comic books I ever read let alone one of the first GI Joe books I ever read. That page featured Clutch in a solo story who was the first figure I ever received.

Tonight there were a slew of vintage Joe pages up for auction that were ending on eBay tonight. I bet on all of them and would have taken any and all of them if I could. I wound up winning Page 16 from issue 38 featuring the introduction of Recondo and features Stalker. Recondo was the second Joe I ever received and the first I ever picked out. Stalker was the third. Woo hoo.

1984 was a magical year for toys. It was the second to last year of Star Wars and Jedi was still being pushed while the GI Joe universe was rocketing to eclipse all other lines and the Joe comic book was one of the most popular comic books around.

GIJoe38Pg16.jpg

First time posting here in this thread.

A few days ago I was finally able to pry this from the hands of my friend Vince Locke.

I added my story about why this page is so important to me in the description.

I know some people like to read those sort of things.

I might post more scans of other artwork I have in the coming weeks!

http://comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1177394

Best,

Jason Moore

I have shared some stuff that I recently picked up and quietly tucked some other stuff away.

Here is where I show my age...

Picked up a page a few months ago from GI Joe 20 which was one of the first comic books I ever read let alone one of the first GI Joe books I ever read. That page featured Clutch in a solo story who was the first figure I ever received.

Tonight there were a slew of vintage Joe pages up for auction that were ending on eBay tonight. I bet on all of them and would have taken any and all of them if I could. I wound up winning Page 16 from issue 38 featuring the introduction of Recondo and features Stalker. Recondo was the second Joe I ever received and the first I ever picked out. Stalker was the third. Woo hoo.

1984 was a magical year for toys. It was the second to last year of Star Wars and Jedi was still being pushed while the GI Joe universe was rocketing to eclipse all other lines and the Joe comic book was one of the most popular comic books around.

GIJoe38Pg16.jpg

Nice Joe page, Recondo is certainly a figure I remember fondly, and Stalker was my first ever Joe - my dad brought it back as a gift after he'd been away for a month on military exercises. He had no idea what he started! Very cool page, congrats!

Another stat art day. While most people could care less about stats, I find this a wonderful way to see Marvel art that either I could never afford or actually doesn't seem to be out there.

Here is a stat from Journey into Mystery 108 (actually pages 4-6) with Jack Kirby and Chic Stone. The appeal to me is this page represents the second Doctor Strange cross-over ever. The first was when Thor (and Loki) had appeared in Strange Tales 123 (August 1964) and this JIM issue (Sept 1964) was the "answer" to that story.

The last panel of Doctor Strange's face is especially awesome:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1177529&GSub=0&GCat=3023&UCat=3023

Two new pieces - one that belongs to my youngest and one of my own.

My family attended Comicpalooza earlier this year and my wife and daughters all admired a set of "Kitty as..." prints by Matthew Weldon. He had kitties in various working roles. Rebecca decided that she wanted the kitty as Harry Potter. Matthew delivered. Matthew also provided, at Rebecca's request, a selection of colored versions. The gray one resembles a different daughter's late cat and the orange one our latest kitten.

There was some trouble with e-mail communications, but he delivered as promised. I would suggest that a phone call might be a better approach if you work with Matthew. Let me introduce you to Kitty Potter. Scroll down the CAF page for the colored versions.

i8pGhffX_1111140026301.jpg

Farel Dalrymple lives in Portland and has worked on a variety of comic project - none of which I've ever seen or read. Yep. Not one. However, I've seen his commission work along with published work on the CAF and quite like it. I recently pledged to the Locust Moon's LITTLE NEMO: DREAM ANOTHER DREAM. My selected perk was a Farel drawing because of that positive impression from the work on the CAF. While I have not received the book, I know that the piece is finished. How do I know? Well, my LCS, Bedrock City Comic Company, announced that Farel was doing a signing at the store on Veteran's Day for his new collection - The Wrenchies. I asked if he was drawing and the store checked and he said just sketches in the books the store was selling. That was good enough for me so I planned to drop by and pick up something.

As it happened, the two hour signing fit exactly between a business meeting and a dinner meeting with a set of executives from a company that we partner with on various items. So, as soon as I could graciously leave, I hit the road and some terrible traffic, much worse than normal. I finally got to the store about 6:15pm. There were two people in line ahead of me. Farel was drawing and talking. He's very friendly and talkative, but he can't draw and talk. Worse, one of the guys in front was a long-time friend and they had some catching up to do. Even worse, the first guy in line has four books!

So, I'm there in my suit anxiously watching the time because I'm supposed to be at dinner at 6:45pm. I text the sales guy that I'm going to be late, but it's okay because the traffic has slowed them down, too. Farel draws and talks and I wait. The conversation was interesting and I must admit that I participated in delaying my own drawing. :)

Anyway, remember that I've never read this book, so when he asked what to draw, the only thing I could think to say was, "Draw what the kid should be shooting." That's what he did. I got out of the shop and to dinner (just down the street) before the appetizers were finished. My Chinese friends were amused by my little side trip. Oh, and dinner was great - red fish Pontchartrain, yum.

Hope you enjoy it the piece that I think of as "Some kid shooting something." :) I like it a lot, but I need to read the book.

S7kpEklD_1311140024341.jpg

P.S. Farel had some OA pages with him and I did read some of them; he wrote, drew, lettered, inked, and colored them all. Very nice work and an interesting story. I should have bought one.

P.P.S. He told me that he had five of the KS perks to honor and that he did five images of Flip, the nephew of the Dawn Guard and general troublemaker. He also said that the first one was the best one. I have a 20% chance. :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1178071&GSub=151866

Bought this cover sight unseen by Emanuella Lupacchino through Doug Peters. Seeing her work, I knew there was very little chance I'd be disappointed. It's the upcoming cover for Batman and Robin #39. I can only say I am blown away.

image_zps921b98b9.jpg

Edited by Junkdrawer