• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,756 posts in this topic

This one I've been hanging onto for a while. We moved and I haven't been sitting down and posting anything. This one's worth taking a minute to look at.

Andy MacDonald is awesome to work with. He's friendly and tries really hard to give you way more than your money's worth. He did it here.

Predator does the 80's!! 80's Movie Trophy Wall!

I am trying to have some fun with the description and run a little game where everyone who looks at the piece can look for all the easter egg references in the piece and pick one and drop it in the comments section. Let's see if we can get them all.

Bigger scan on CAF

MacDonald%20Predator%20Trophy%20Wall103_zpsgq7ul7v0.jpg

Awesome piece! I would suggest I have the 2nd most Andy art out there (could be wrong but it is close) and this is one of the best I have seen.

Andy is great to work with and, more importantly, busts stuff like this out on a regular basis. He is working on a Titans book for DC now (Teen I think, not Tiny...64 pages I think but one of 2 or 3 potential books) so hopefully he will continue to improve his standing in the comics world and get more work with the Big 2!

And...McFly? Say it ain't so!

There are a couple of little easter eggs on there that will completely mess with your head when you figure out what they are. lol

There are a couple of little easter eggs on there that will completely mess with

your head when you figure out what they are. lol

well, Jonny Five deserves whatever he gets. And I see that someone got wax on, waxed-OFF!

Edited by Bird

Reckon Arnie could kick his azz . . .

How about an Arnie trophy room? hm

I see evidence that indicates otherwise! And not the Terminator head either.

There are a couple of little easter eggs on there that will completely mess with

well, Jonny Five deserves whatever he gets. And I see that someone got wax on, waxed-OFF!

lol

I see Indy's hat, Battle Cat's helmet, Marty McFly's hoverboard, Tron.

Is that One Eyed Willie too?

Awesome Trophy Wall, Chris. One of my favorites.

Going through some of my filing cabinets to have a tidy up and I came across some pages by UK veteran, Hugh Stanley White (who is likely to be unknown, here).

I've opened-up a gallery for the ten pages I found (I have a couple of his paintings somewhere, so will try to unearth those later). Here's a sample page (go to my CAF Gallery if you want to see more):

white3.jpg

Hugh Stanley White (1904 - 1988)

Hugh Stanley White was born in Kilburn, North London, on 6 October 1904, son of Hough White, a sanitary engineer, and his wife Ethel May. He studied at Islington Park College School, Hastings Art School and Chiswick Art School, but his first job was as a heating engineer.

In 1926, while sketching at the Natural History Museum, he met Walter Booth, who was already an established comic artist, and became his assistant, working on strips like "Rob the outside-affiliatelinksnotallowed".

By 1929 he was drawing comics in his own right, working on the nursery comic Bo-Peep and Little Boy Blue. Strips he drew for the title include "Ranji's Ruby" (1932) and "In the Days of Drake" (1933). He also drew strips for The Boy's and Girl's Daily Mail, and "Jimmy in Java", "Peter in Pygmy Land" and "Rosalind and Tommy's Adventures Among the Chinese" for the South Wales Echo & Express in the 1930s.

From 1936 he worked for Mickey Mouse Weekly, drawing "Ian on Mu" (1936), the first British science fiction strip, "Ginger Nick the Whaler" "The Phantom City", "Flashing Through" and "Oil and Claw". In 1938 he drew "Into Unknown Worlds" for Butterfly, and "John Irons, Lone Fighter", for an Amalgamated Press title.

After the war he worked for small publishers, starting his own title, Merry Maker, which also featured art by Walter Booth and Basil Reynolds. He drew two comics in American style, Xmas Comic and Atomic Age Comic, as well as "Tornado" for Bob Monkhouse's Oh Boy!.

In 1951 he drew some episodes of Young Marvelman. Other titles he worked for included Happy Times, Top Notch, Space Comics and Adventurer.

His last work in comics was in the 1960s. After that, his spent a few years as an advertising illustrator in Kenya, before retiring. He died in Banbury, Oxfordshire, on 21 September 1988, aged 83.

lol

I see Indy's hat, Battle Cat's helmet, Marty McFly's hoverboard, Tron.

Is that One Eyed Willie too?

Awesome Trophy Wall, Chris. One of my favorites.

That's Snake Plissken....Andy included a little snake behind his skull just to get freudian.

white3.jpg

Neat. I like it the same way I like Wolverton and Matt Fox :)

Thanks. It's an antiquated style, for sure, though the work reminds me of Al Feldstein.

I corresponded with the artist up until his death and he contributed some illustrations to my fanzine, Shadow Play, that I self-published in the early 1980s. He even paid me a surprise visit one weekend! A real gentleman with a fascinating background history.

I corresponded with the artist up until his death and he contributed some illustrations to my fanzine, Shadow Play, that I self-published in the early 1980s. He even paid me a surprise visit one weekend! A real gentleman with a fascinating background history.

And if you were a member of CFA-APA you could tell us all about it. (Which is another ways of saying I wish you were and I wish you would!) But if that's not your cup of (English) tea...

Maybe do it here instead in a new thread? I'm interested. All of it too, including your fanzine. (And for once not negative or grouchy!)

And if you were a member of CFA-APA you could tell us all about it. (Which is another ways of saying I wish you were and I wish you would!) But if that's not your cup of (English) tea...

Maybe do it here instead in a new thread? I'm interested. All of it too, including your fanzine. (And for once not negative or grouchy!)

I've been invited to join CFA-APA, by people like Ray Cuthbert and Benno Rothschild over the years. A good friend, Chris Killackey, even sent me a copy of the last issue (which I advised on his contribution to). Excellent fanzine that blew me away with the scope and wealth of material . . . only problem I have with it is that's it's intended for a small audience of contributors. Something so good should be reaching out to a wider fan-base, imho.

If you go to all the trouble of researching and writing something, surely you want maximum exposure . . . why be writing for a handful of people?

I don't necessarily think you're negative or grouchy . . . you just say things as you see it, which may not exactly pander to what people want to hear.

Sure, I can do some future threads along the lines of what you suggest. Not always possible at present (not enough hours in the day), though I'll be going the route of early retirement in a fortnight's time so will have more free time on my hands when my life of leisure kicks-in . . .

I've been into Andy's stuff since Baltimore 2004 iirc, great piece. But no Chuck Norris, no Michael Dudikoff? Those dudes were huge in the 80s!

If the Predator would have taken on Chuck Norris, this would have been Chuck Norris' trophy wall.

:roflmao:

Whereabouts?

I am guessing that it is Conan's broadsword lying there.

Whereabouts?

I am guessing that it is Conan's broadsword lying there.

Subtle . . . very subtle.

[=

. . . I'm interested. All of it too, including your fanzine. (And for once not negative or grouchy!)

Funnily enough, an internet search found an advert for the first issue of my 1980s fanzine, Shadow play. The artwork, as awful as it is, is by yours truly.

shadow%20play.jpg

At the time (which hasn't changed) I was a huge fan of the 1960s anthology TV series, The Outer Limits. My favourite teleplay of the show was Harlan Ellison's Demon With a Glass Hand.

For someone else's fanzine, prior to all this, I had been doing my own adaptation of the story. A couple of months into doing this, DC Comics pulled the rug under my feet by doing their own version of the story (which basically made my sh*tty version look like the cr@p it was), and I pulled the plugs on what I was doing (instead, for Shadow Play # 1, I wrote a review of the episode).

Felix Lu has been sent scans of my own cr@ppy version of the powerhouse Outer Limits 'Demon' teleplay . . . but he's sworn to secrecy by never to embarrass me by making these private communications (and scans of awful artwork) made public . . .

Only claim to fame, as far as I'm concerned, is that I proceeded to adapt Demon With a Glass Hand as a graphic novel just before DC did so!

Felix Lu has been sent scans of my own cr@ppy version of the powerhouse Outer Limits 'Demon' teleplay . . . but he's sworn never to embarrass me by making these private communications public . . .

Awesome! As soon as I saw Felix's name I thought you were going to say he's now repping you :)

Fannish is as fannish does, nothing wrong with it in my book even if it's not up to pro-standards. 40 years ago who knew, but now the entire world is one big 24/7 amateur stage what with YouTube, Facebook, SnapChat and whatever new-fangled way to embarass one's self comes next!

You were cutting edge. So was/is CFA-APA (!!)