• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giving Away Comics on Halloween
2 2

31 posts in this topic

Does anyone here have experience giving away kid-friendly comics on Halloween in lieu of candy?

Did the kids take them?

Were they disappointed?

Where did you get the comics to give out?

I never have.

I believe other Forumites have done so with varying degrees of success.

Personally, if I gave away comics they'd be in addition to candy and not instead of candy.

If you're thinking about trying to avoid handing out sugar, there's always the snack cracker/pretzel/etc bag option.

On 9/21/2024 at 5:41 PM, dick pontoon said:

I never have.

I believe other Forumites have done so with varying degrees of success.

Personally, if I gave away comics they'd be in addition to candy and not instead of candy.

If you're thinking about trying to avoid handing out sugar, there's always the snack cracker/pretzel/etc bag option.

I would likely give out comics as a supplement to candy, instead of a replacement, upon reflection. I'm curious if any of the kids would be interested in the comics. Sonic, Pokémon, stuff like that.

I say this as an enthusiast of Sour Patch Kids and the like.

I still have those 25 book pre-packs that Diamond used to sell (Pokemon, TMNT, Donald Duck, Hot Stuff, Archie), and we have given them away each Halloween for about ten years. However, we always included a candy treat too. The kids loved the comic books and would come back the next year expecting more. 

I don't know if Previews still solicits those comics, as I don't get that publication anymore, as I ceased collecting new comics. They never got to me on time for Halloween, so I was always ordering in the summer for books I wouldn't give away about 14 months later.

On 9/21/2024 at 6:24 PM, lizards2 said:

I still have those 25 book pre-packs that Diamond used to sell (Pokemon, TMNT, Donald Duck, Hot Stuff, Archie), and we have given them away each Halloween for about ten years. However, we always included a candy treat too. The kids loved the comic books and would come back the next year expecting more. 

I don't know if Previews still solicits those comics, as I don't get that publication anymore, as I ceased collecting new comics. They never got to me on time for Halloween, so I was always ordering in the summer for books I wouldn't give away about 14 months later.

I scroll through the online catalog every month and haven't seen them. 

I keep a "Halloween pile" and usually give away a few comics every Halloween.  But on a select basis, not to every kid.

Mrs Roo (who loves Halloween more than Christmas) usually wears a costume when she gives away candy at the front door.  I obviously don't interfere with that; my job is to lurk in the shadows in the front yard and make sure no overzealous older kids get out of hand.  We have an extensive display so I like to keep an eye out just in case :ph34r:

I usually have a small stack of comics in my lurking spot. And whenever I hear an extra-polite kid says something nice about the display or Mrs Roo's costume or anything else that gives me a warm fuzzy I offer him or her the choice of a comic from the pile. It's fun and I look forward to it every year!

Not every kid is into comics, but sometimes a dad will get more excited about the comic than his kid, and that's fun too! :bigsmile:

On 9/21/2024 at 9:24 PM, KirbyJack said:

Years later, I learned from my nephew that he was still famous for it high school! “Oh yeah! You guys were the house that gave out comics!” It obviously made an impression on trick or treaters. 

Yes!! The kids remembered!

We give out comics along with candy to the kids and Jell-O shots to the parents.  Get a ton of kids who come back each year for the comics and the parents come to our house first to get the night started.

i grab as many free comic book day books as i can now that I’m not buying collections.  It’s nice since they offer little kid books which are tougher to find.

On 9/22/2024 at 1:00 AM, MattTheDuck said:

Last Halloween I set out some books and had a positive reaction from the kids.  It wasn't either/or - candy and books were provided.  I don't see any possible downside.

I note I didn't answer the part about "where you got them."  I've picked up collections in recent years that included books I don't collect or were lower grade so I don't mind parting with them.

halloween display.jpg

I have a rack similar to yours. I may copy your setup.

On 9/22/2024 at 7:36 AM, 1Cool said:

We give out comics along with candy to the kids and Jell-O shots to the parents.  Get a ton of kids who come back each year for the comics and the parents come to our house first to get the night started.

i grab as many free comic book day books as i can now that I’m not buying collections.  It’s nice since they offer little kid books which are tougher to find.

I first read this as you give out Jello shots to the kids. We tell our kids to avoid your house since the treats there make them sleepy.