• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value of Qualified Grade comics and differentiation between page missing not affecting the story
1 1

28 posts in this topic

On 9/26/2024 at 6:05 PM, MOOSE82 said:

That is a great tool. where are you finding that? Is that om CGC page? Thats a great time saving tool.   I can use that that would be very helpful

The tool is gpanalysis

https://comics.gpanalysis.com/

It's a fee based site, about $10 per month.  It's well worth the cost if you buy and sell a lot and/or submit books for CGC grading.

On 9/26/2024 at 5:22 PM, Jordysnordy said:

$276.00 last sale for TTA 65 9.2

I would think you could get 50% of this but I may be way off as I don’t buy Green labels.

Others will definitely know more about this space than me

IMG_3264.jpeg

Of course it'll depend on the book and the buyer but in general I'd ballpark it lower than 50%.  I just suspect buyers will dislike a incomplete book more than a book with colour touch or pieces added.

On 9/26/2024 at 4:08 PM, MOOSE82 said:

Thank you everyone for your input and please continue to comment if you have anything to add. I am a little freaked out because some of these books should be worth something

Crack 'em open, sell them raw.  Let people look through them and they'll see the situation.

Might even get more than one graded 0.5

On 9/26/2024 at 10:32 PM, shadroch said:

You can consign them to mycomicshop.com, and list them at a Buy it Now price.  If they don't sell, lower the cost, or you can roll the dice and consign them to an auction. 

It's really hard to price Qualified, conserved or restored books and I think that's why you aren't getting a direct answer. 

They are still worth money. But I would agree with using mycomicshop.com if you want to sell them. 

They will make you a cash offer for the lot. Keep in mind they have to sell the books, so they'll need to build margin into their offer - but I've taken their cash offers and have found them to be very reasonable. 

You can also consign them and sell them through their Auctions. Then you don't worry about pricing them and let the market bid away. 

That would be my recommendation.  

There are several different defects that may lead to a book being assigned a Qualified Grade.  The fair market value (FMV) of certain categories of Green Label books is difficult to pinpoint, as there is no clear/consistent Universal Grade equivalent.  But the Blue Label equivalent for a book missing one or more leaves (or pages in CGC-speak) is 100% clear; it's always 0.5 PR.  Harsh but true.

I've been on the Boards long enough to realize that harsh realities are often not well received.  As a result, they're often not offered.  But the FMV of a common Silver Age Marvel that's missing one or more pages is not 50% of that issue's 9.2 value, and it's not somewhat "lower than 50%" of that issue's 9.2 value.  The brutal truth (backed up by recorded GPA sales) is that its FMV is much closer to 5% of that issue's 9.2 value.

Lone Star Comics (now MCS) is an awesome organization.  Buddy Saunders has been at/near the top of my preferred sellers list for a half-century now.  But Conan Saunders has specifically said (here and here) that MCS cannot become a long-term storage facility for books without buyers -- that consignors should price their material realistically, and be willing to incrementally reduce prices on unsold material in a timely fashion, so that it does ultimately sell.

So use MCS, but don't abuse 'em.  :foryou: 

I don't think anything is wrong with optimistically pricing books and lowering prices until you find a buyer.   While I'd be a buyer at 10-15% of a blue label, someone might be willing to pay much higher.  Hopefully, a couple of buyers will see it selling cheap in an auction situation and bid it up. 

I'm afraid I have to disagree with CGC about giving incomplete books qualified grades, but if people chose to believe a green label somehow adds value to an incomplete book, it's their choice.

When you consign with MCS, they give you plenty of pricing tools and I think they'll even price them for you if you ask. They have great exposure and will list the books on ebay, as part of their service.  If you price the book at $100 and it doesn't sell in two weeks, lower the price 5% and they relist it as new in stock.   I usually lower my prices after three weeks, but I'm in no rush to sell.

If you have questions, their customer service department is accommodating and knowledgeable.  I've done about $200,000 in business with them and had two minor issues, both of which were quickly resolved. 

I think these would sell better at auction, but you have some interesting books.   I'd be a buyer at 10% market value, so don't sell them below that.

A heartfelt thank you all of you that responded to this post and offered constructive comments. Since there's only six books, I'm putting them on Ebay With a copy of the greater's notes and starting some of them at 9.99 to $19.99 and we'll just see where they land. Thanks again!