• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 3
1 1

25 posts in this topic

This is a slightly restored copy of ASM 3 that I just got back from CGC.

I wanted to post some pics to see what you guys think the grade should be.

Everything is solid at the staples.  There are no spine splits

I'll reveal grade after I get some input.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Reading crease along spine; moderate spine stress (especially on back cover side); moderate wear along top & bottom edges of front cover; 6" crease across top-right corner of front cover; 3" crease across bottom-right corner of back cover; Marvel chipping along upper 3" of right edge of front cover; back cover smudges/stains/soiling; etc.  Best guess = 4.0:foryou:

Grader Notes
marvel chipping full right of front cover
Piece, large married right bottom of front cover
multiple crease cover
small amount of color touch on front cover & spine

They may choose the large missing piece instead the married piece so you may get 2.0 instead of 4.0.  I am miffed too.

Even with the grader notes, I still can't see the married piece.  Anyone feel like outlining it?  I wonder if its boundaries are more apparent on the inside front cover.  (shrug)

On 10/8/2024 at 3:28 PM, zzutak said:

Even with the grader notes, I still can't see the married piece.  Anyone feel like outlining it?  I wonder if its boundaries are more apparent on the inside front cover.  (shrug)

Looking at some other images compared to this - right pant leg of Doctor Octopus is a lighter black than the left, and is that a seam down his butt?  Images I looked at were a uniform color

On 10/8/2024 at 4:23 PM, NY Roadkill said:

Looking at some other images compared to this - right pant leg of Doctor Octopus is a lighter black than the left, and is that a seam down his butt?  Images I looked at were a uniform color

Yes, that "seam" is where the added piece is and it goes up to about Doc Oc's right elbow and then off to the right.  It's a big piece, but the marry is fairly decent and I thought restored comics were supposed to reflect an "apparent grade"?

The tape on the inside front cover (which none of us were aware of when we submitted guesses) may be more significant than you realize.  Tape is not considered restoration, but the tape on this book is definitely "serving a function" -- namely, to secure the married piece.  What grade would the book "deserve" if the tape was not present (and therefore a large piece was missing from the front cover)?  Apparent 2.0 perhaps?  Apparent due to the color touch and 2.0 due to the large missing piece.  hm

CGC-TPv2.png.c878e73bd77b0be53003a833f6b5e70b.png

On 10/8/2024 at 8:42 PM, zzutak said:

The tape on the inside front cover (which none of us were aware of when we submitted guesses) may be more significant than you realize.  Tape is not considered restoration, but the tape on this book is definitely "serving a function" -- namely, to secure the married piece.  What grade would the book "deserve" if the tape was not present (and therefore a large piece was missing from the front cover)?  Apparent 2.0 perhaps?  Apparent due to the color touch and 2.0 due to the large missing piece.  hm

CGC-TPv2.png.c878e73bd77b0be53003a833f6b5e70b.png

But this is not a "Universal" book.  I can see where that applies to Universal.  This is a restored comic.  The restoration is there to give it a better "apparent" grade.  The tape is archival so it's not as if it's a celophane mess.  The tape is 1/8" wide slivers of archival tape, done purposely to improve the overall look of the comic.  But if this is how thy're grading restored comics now, then how can ANY restored comic be higher than 2.0 if it's had any amount of resto done to it?

I asked CGC to review the grade and I was told I would have to pay the grading fee again ($85)

I would have said Apparent 4.5 too. I guess I get the logic as laid out by Bo but it still feels like this book got hammered. It seems to defy the intuitive meaning of "Apparent" because clearly the book now looks like a VG and not a Good.

I guess this is a fairly unusual case, where the piece replacement is fairly big and yet the book looks really nice. It's a really tight match. If the resto were clumsily done it would be easier to rationalize the low grade.

On 10/9/2024 at 12:09 AM, grendelbo said:

I would've guessed 4.5. Looked at the pic for 5+ minutes and couldn't see the married piece. Resto is for the CT. Tape isn't resto. 2.0 is appropriate I imagine. 

I would have said 5.0

Look at the image in the grader's notes if you want to see the piece. The large scan shows it very clearly.

It is possible that the grade was worse because of what it looks like on the inside of the front cover.