• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who was the master of the bizarre/macabre in the GA/PCH eras? Let's go for a walk on the dark side ...
3 3

98 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2024 at 6:27 PM, kent allard said:

@buttock, that site is amazing, but overwhelming.  Don't see how to filter down his huge body of work to the genre of interest.  Remember, I acknowledge Everett to be a great artist in general but I'm focusing on a very limited type of art.

Can you help me make better use of the site with appropriate filters?

You can search by cover artist & bill everett and get all of them.  Just use the search filters. 

On 10/20/2024 at 8:04 PM, kent allard said:

Flessel and Fine would have probably done some incredible stuff had they stuck around until the 50's. 

We could only wish, though I wonder how good they would really be in this genre.  They were certainly excellent artists, but one needs to be a bit twisted to be able to create some of the classics

Maybe @Moondog could show you the Action Comics ashcan with an unpublished Flessel cover if you don't thick Flessel could've hacked it in the horror genre.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 10/20/2024 at 5:30 PM, buttock said:

You can search by cover artist & bill everett and get all of them.  Just use the search filters. 

The search filters seem crude.  Was hoping there was a better way to do it then pulling all of his covers  He did a lot of MMC/SM covers.  Maybe if I limit to 1950 - 1954 it will be manageable.

Thanks for the link though.  That's a great resource I was unaware of.:banana:

On 10/20/2024 at 5:33 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Check out @Moondog's avatar if you don't thick Flessel could've hacked it in the horror genre.

Glad to, but it doesn't do anything for me, unless you are referring to an older avatar ...

1261360775_SuperMan(2).jpg.db012fac2296b1ad0f47dc9acd48fd06.webp.0905501b25b4a47605d33852074129cf.webp

On reconsideration, I guess this would have been fairly edgy in 1939

Edited by kent allard
reconsideration

On 10/20/2024 at 8:38 PM, kent allard said:

Glad to, but it doesn't do anything for me, unless you are referring to an older avatar ...

1261360775_SuperMan(2).jpg.db012fac2296b1ad0f47dc9acd48fd06.webp.0905501b25b4a47605d33852074129cf.webp

You quoted me before I edited my post! That always happens. I could've sworn that the Action Comics ashcan was his avatar, but I did turn 50 this year, so I might be getting senile—or maybe it used to be his avatar.

I found an image on the HA site:

lf (1).jpeg

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 10/20/2024 at 5:28 PM, buttock said:

Here's a few to start.  Others can do a much better job than me.

adventures into weird worlds 6.jpg

journey into mystery 5.jpg

marvel tales 107.jpg

marvel tales 111.jpg

marvel tales 117.jpg

menace 3.jpg

mens adventures 22.jpg

mystery tales 9.jpg

strange tales 13.jpg

2024-10-14-0007.jpg

I'm coming around ...

The last three are very strong and I especially like Mystery Tales 9 (need to get a copy of that one).

Men's Adventure 22 looked a bit boring until I noticed the puddle under the skeleton.  Great touch that really made the cover stand out.

On 10/20/2024 at 5:41 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

You quoted me before I edited my post! That always happens. I could've sworn that the Action Comics ashcan was his avatar, but I did turn 50 this year, so I might be getting senile—or maybe it used to be his avatar.

lf (1).jpeg

Now that one has some meat on it's bones :)

Enough to open the door to consideration

On 10/20/2024 at 8:04 PM, kent allard said:

I suppose I thought of Flessel and Fine for their imaginations and artistic ability. Flessel was working for National Allied/DC so he had to keep it kid friendly. But he came out of the gate with the what would be the ashcan of Action 1 so he definitely had creepy stuff inside his head. And Fine was stuck doing mainly superhero covers but he still gave a lot of them a creepy element. I thnk they would have done swell had they still been in it in the 1950's. Moldoff, Everett, and Baily stuck around and did some great pch as we know and in my humble opinion Flessel and Fine were better artists at least circa 1938 - 1940

On 10/20/2024 at 8:41 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

lf (1).jpeg

Ha! I grabbed the same pic to post.

On 10/20/2024 at 5:47 PM, kent allard said:

I'm coming around ...

The last three are very strong and I especially like Mystery Tales 9 (need to get a copy of that one).

Men's Adventure 22 looked a bit boring until I noticed the puddle under the skeleton.  Great touch that really made the cover stand out.

One of my collection goals is everything Everett (post-1946) - and I am a big fan of Mystery Tales 9 as a great cover that is not crazy hot or pricey.

Edited by mtlevy1
grammar

On 10/21/2024 at 7:49 PM, mtlevy1 said:

One of my collection goals is everything Everett (post-1946) - and I am a big fan of Mystery Tales 9 as a great cover that is not crazy hot or pricey.

Everything ? Just covers or everything? If everything everything that is a pretty big endeavour. I'll tell you though, from what I've seen of his interior work that's where he really shined. 

On 10/20/2024 at 9:37 PM, TheLostDreams said:

I wouldn't necessarily call him a "master"...but I always thought that the art by Vince Napoli had a real creepy/surreal yet expressionistic vibe to his style...below are a few pages from Beware 12 (Youthful):

Napoli1.jpg

Napoli2.jpg

Napoli3.jpg

I also like his "Odd" style of art and story telling my favorite story is from Captain Science # 7, The Hangman's Son. Here's few pages of the story.

hm first page.jpg

hm 3.jpg

hm last page.jpg

I love all of the discussion here. Bailey is wonderful, Anderson is great, Everett is on the short list of greatest comic artists of all time....

...but "Ghastly" still gets my vote for Master of the Macabre...

HOF18cover.jpg

HOF20coverframed.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock