• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Fantastic Four #24 - tanning
1 1

6 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2024 at 7:44 PM, JollyComics said:

The book looks decent and may be in a high grade.  I think it will be in between 8.0 to 9.0 but the page quality will be tan to cream pages.

Well, if it’s tan to cream it’s capped at an 8.0, is my understanding of how CGC grades.  I think it’s a 6.5, maybe a 7.  Does tanning factor in at that grade, or is the grade low enough that tanning doesn’t reduce it further?

On 10/20/2024 at 7:42 PM, Corvonie said:

Well, if it’s tan to cream it’s capped at an 8.0, is my understanding of how CGC grades.  I think it’s a 6.5, maybe a 7.  Does tanning factor in at that grade, or is the grade low enough that tanning doesn’t reduce it further?

To my knowledge, CGC will grade on the dust shadow, oxidation, stain and foxing as defects. According to CGC Guild of Grading Comics, page tanning is considered an aesthetic defect. I checked on determining the grade for tanning on page 63-64. The aesthetic quality refers to the cover's whiteness, brightness and gloss.  It depends on some degree of aging over time. Lighting tanning or muted colors that have little or no impact on grade.  Only if it has a severity of tanning or fading on the cover that will be a factor that will impact the grade.

I looked at your book for tanning.  It may be little or have no impact.

On 10/21/2024 at 4:08 PM, scburdet said:

7.0. The guide is a little vague (intentionally so IMO) about how/when tanning causes downgrades. I think it's dark enough to result in a grade or two deduction.

Thanks so much SC, this is exactly the kind of guidance I was hoping for.  I bought two lots from Heritage - one graded "average fine" the other "average fine/very fine" with the note "tanning to many".  This is from the "average fine" group, which seems to track with your grade, since it's one of the nicer books, tanning aside.

Edited by Corvonie