• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Vault Gem

53 posts in this topic

That book is so sharp and scarce in grade that the asking price actually seems reasonable(relatively speaking).Doug sure has some nice books.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

If its a Slobodian, then why is it not noted on the label?

That book is so sharp and scarce in grade that the asking price actually seems reasonable(relatively speaking).Doug sure has some nice books.GOD BLESS...

If its a Slobodian, then why is it not noted on the label?

Not a CGC-recognized pedigree. The reasons why have been discussed on these boards, and maybe even on Doug's site.

Hi Arex,

Slobodians do not receive the pedigree designation from CGC because some of the books were purchased second hand. Also, some had restoration performed on them by the original owner. Additionally, I believe there was never a master list of books from the collection.

I have never seen one in person, but a few people I've talked to who have claim that the high grade examples are killer. In the case of this book, I certainly don't doubt them!

Godalmighty is IS gorgeous! but at 50K, twice the most a 9.4 sold for (if memory serves...) I'll pass. When I see these prices, I always think of the Don Corleone line...: "How did things get like this?" sigh. Seems to me that every dollar of popssible appreciation is built in to priced books like this. Investment piece indeed! It sure HAS been, Doug!! for YOU!

Godalmighty is IS gorgeous! but at 50K, twice the most a 9.4 sold for (if memory serves...) I'll pass. When I see these prices, I always think of the Don Corleone line...: "How did things get like this?" sigh. Seems to me that every dollar of popssible appreciation is built in to priced books like this. Investment piece indeed! It sure HAS been, Doug!! for YOU!

It's just an asking price, folks! gossip.gif If you look at the actual sale prices of other books in the Vault, you'll see that some of them sold for pretty substantial discounts to the asking price.

Not that I can afford it right now, but having seen this book (as well as his 1 893whatthe.gifhail.gif), let me tell you, this is a [embarrassing lack of self control] gorgeous book. Just [embarrassing lack of self control] beautiful.

Not that I can afford it right now, but having seen this book (as well as his 1 893whatthe.gifhail.gif), let me tell you, this is a [embarrassing lack of self control] gorgeous book. Just [embarrassing lack of self control] beautiful.

It must have been a figment of your imagination, Dan. According to some on these boards, there is no difference between a CGC 9.4 and a CGC 9.6, or a 9.2 and a 9.6 for that matter, so it's just a completely arbitrary and random throw of the dice because the differences are so minute they couldn't possibly be apparent to you. yeahok.gif

what has been said is that there's no difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 or 9.9, not between 9.2 and 9.4....and that there is not ENOUGH difference between anything between 9.2 thru 9.8 to warrant the price jumps currently asked and paid.

I tend to agree in general with these people. Id rather have a 9.4 for 'half' the price of a 9.6 if the 9.4s are still in the top 5 or so copies on a 10K+ book. Even a lowly 9.2 or a 9.0 (DCs of course) under the same circumstances (less than 5 better copies). I wont be buying the 9.6 FF4 even if I noodled the price down to $40K from 50. Just as I passed on each of the 9.4s that have come along for between 18 and 25K. Im "scared" of buying second tier keys for more than 20K each. Call me crazy! Im happy with a collection of one of the very best copies of nearly everything, rather than fewer books that happen to be "top CGC slabbed copies" at many times as much each. Its hard to find much 'upside' on HG keys nowadays, especially on the top-graded copies.

It must have been a figment of your imagination, Dan. According to some on these boards, there is no difference between a CGC 9.4 and a CGC 9.6, or a 9.2 and a 9.6 for that matter, so it's just a completely arbitrary and random throw of the dice because the differences are so minute they couldn't possibly be apparent to you. yeahok.gif

There are clear differences between the FF4 in 9.6 that Doug owns and the FF 4 in 9.2 that I owned for about a month. Doug's FF 4 is stunning.

His FF 1 is equally gorgeous. Always nice to hold a book that's worth more than my house. (Well, probably not now - love that Northern Virginia housing market... poke2.gif)

His FF 1 is equally gorgeous. Always nice to hold a book that's worth more than my house. (Well, probably not now - love that Northern Virginia housing market... poke2.gif)

how much do you think its worth? Its a 9.6 right?

150?

200?

250?

and as a followup, if put on the market at a typical Doug number, what do you think it would sell for?and, because I value your no-nonsense opinions on comics, would it sell for less today than last spring?

how much do you think its worth? Its a 9.6 right?

150?

200?

250?

and as a followup, if put on the market at a typical Doug number, what do you think it would sell for?and, because I value your no-nonsense opinions on comics, would it sell for less today than last spring?

I have no idea what the number would be. foreheadslap.gif OS 9.2 is $35K, and I don'thave GPA in front of me, so a guess would be $250? $300? I don't think, however it would sell for that. I think it would sell for about the same as last spring, because you're getting into a very rarified section of buyers. For $175K, there are a lot of other comics I'd buy over an FF 1 (and it is my favorite book).

Im sure Doug would price it much higher...like 400K!

so whats a 9.4 sell for... havent seen one for sale in years... not since all the other top Marvels reached big sales #s.

AF15 = 125, 110, 150

XMEN1 = 100, 110,

HULK = 60, 70, 80 (cant remember...)

what has been said is that there's no difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 or 9.9, not between 9.2 and 9.4....and that there is not ENOUGH difference between anything between 9.2 thru 9.8 to warrant the price jumps currently asked and paid.

I quote from one of the threads I was referring to: "Or do you actually believe CGC can tell the difference between a NM and a NM+ with enough accuracy to support the inane multiples those numbers continue to produce?" So I stand by my statement that there are some who believe there is no discernible difference between a 9.4 (NM) and 9.6 (NM+), and I offer as proof this 9.6 FF #4 which anyone who's not blind can see is clearly superior to a 9.4, and which CGC will be able to distinguish from a 9.4 book 100 out of 100 times.

I tend to agree in general with these people. Id rather have a 9.4 for 'half' the price of a 9.6 if the 9.4s are still in the top 5 or so copies on a 10K+ book. Even a lowly 9.2 or a 9.0 (DCs of course) under the same circumstances (less than 5 better copies). I wont be buying the 9.6 FF4 even if I noodled the price down to $40K from 50. Just as I passed on each of the 9.4s that have come along for between 18 and 25K. Im "scared" of buying second tier keys for more than 20K each. Call me crazy! Im happy with a collection of one of the very best copies of nearly everything, rather than fewer books that happen to be "top CGC slabbed copies" at many times as much each. Its hard to find much 'upside' on HG keys nowadays, especially on the top-graded copies.

How did this thread turn into a conversation about your purchasing habits? Who cares if you would spend $40K or $50K on this book, or what your philosophy on HG keys is? A beautiful copy was posted, can't we just enjoy its beauty without getting into whether it's worth X price?