• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Bad is Liefields Art?

134 posts in this topic

I had posted this a while back, but any chance I get to make fun of it is OK.

892606-Liefeld_captain_america.jpg You can set a beverage on his chest. Christo_pull_hair.gif

That is the most horrible image of Cap I've ever seen. Who the hell allowed that [embarrassing lack of self control] to be published?

1045203-liefeldWTF.jpg

What's scary is that I think this is one of his better pieces in comparison to recent and past covers. Plenty of other comic artists have problems with accurate anatomy, but his characters are just disgusting.

in Liefelds defense, I think thats the colorist's peenis

yea I can see that...But Liefeld is a very stiff artist,all his drawings are stiff,least with kirby they look like they jump off the page despite his poor anatomy skills.

It's true that Kirby's work sometimes exhibited bad anatomy - There were more than a few panels, splashes and covers where Sue Storm looked like she suffers from down syndrome.

But at least his characters looked like super-heroes instead of Major League Baseball players! stooges.gif

892606-Liefeld_captain_america.jpg You can set a beverage on his chest. Christo_pull_hair.gif

That is the most horrible image of Cap I've ever seen. Who the hell allowed that [embarrassing lack of self control] to be published?

Agreed. Horrible image. And just how is that star placed (centered?) on his chest?

Agreed. Horrible image. And just how is that star placed (centered?) on his chest?

Not only the worst Cap image but probably the worst pice of so called "professional art" I have ever seen. They must have snickered when he submitted this one for coloring. Oh the humanity. foreheadslap.gif

The difference between late 60s Kirby and Liefeld is like the difference between Jimi Hendrix and some latter-day heavy metal gross-out merchant. One is an innovator stretching the boundaries of his medium, and using distortion and "noise" with a purpose. The other is a kind of totally inbred descendant, who piles on the distortion in a spirit of worshipping ugliness - like, it's cool, so the more of it you have the cooler you are... duh??

What's scary is that I think this is one of his better pieces in comparison to recent and past covers.

I agree with that. Actually, for Liefeld, it isn't that bad.

Typical anatomy issues, but not his worst. I think Impulse looks allright.