• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

12-cent War Comics

131 posts in this topic

Wow, some incredible covers in this thread! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Clearly some of the best work done during the Silver Age appeared in the war covers. I`m curious why Russ Heath, whose work is fantastic, doesn`t seem to have done any more mainstream work (i.e., superheroes). Was it his own preference, that he only liked to do war-related illustrations, or was he simply typecast and not offered broader work?

Wow, some incredible covers in this thread! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Clearly some of the best work done during the Silver Age appeared in the war covers. I`m curious why Russ Heath, whose work is fantastic, doesn`t seem to have done any more mainstream work (i.e., superheroes). Was it his own preference, that he only liked to do war-related illustrations, or was he simply typecast and not offered broader work?

Russ has done stuff like Punisher and Batman in some of the secondary titles for those characters. Like many artists, he doesn't particularly like the superheros and his sense of realism prevents him from doing as well in that world as other artists.

although not in the same artistic strata as most of the covers displayed, so far, an interesting multi-cover from a less-than-usual title;

1135028933383_B_B_004.jpg

Awesome book, burntboy - what's the grade? That book is very tough in VF or better.

Shep

it graded out as an 8.5 VF+, but is also a QUALIFIED.

somehow about 4 of 100 submitted DC's had the lower staple detached. frown.gif

oh well.................still displays pretty well.............

I would take a qualified 8.5 of that book any day of the week.

Maybe there's been some talk of this on the list, but the word is that after 1953, DC switched to a thinner and less robust paper stock. They're notorious for having popped staples.

I have found popped staples on DC war books 1955-60 to be a real problem. I'll take a sparkly, one-staple-popped copy over a structurally complete FN any day.

Nice book man, very tough.

Shep

cloud9.gif

Love that Book, Harry! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Hey Big Five....wasn't there a guide produced that covered DC's war titles called something like "DC's Big Five"? I assume you might have taken your moniker from that.

Brad

Hey Big Five....wasn't there a guide produced that covered DC's war titles called something like "DC's Big Five"? I assume you might have taken your moniker from that.

Brad

1050276-Big5Guide.jpg

1050276-Big5Guide.jpg.f80a51927c88cce8daffc3e2c403db30.jpg

Beautiful cover....I love the War covers that feauture planes.

Brad

1050276-Big5Guide.jpg

Brad

Yes indeedy, I looooooooove the big five. Hence the moniker. I wanted to be strictly 'bigfiver' on ebay, but it was taken. So I added 69, the year (sniff) of my birth.

Chris Pedrin's guide is an absolute must-have for collectors of DC war books. To my knowledge it is out of print, but copies can still be had on ebay, and I believe that Motor City Comics in Detroir bought up the remainders. It's got some gaps (ie, no Men of War, Blitzkrieg, Capt. Storm or Weird War Tales) but as a compendium of info about the five main DC war titles, it's the bomb. (listen to me, talking like the kids do.) But the book is VERY milky.... my first one fell apart, so I have a beater reference copy, and a couple of nice ones put away. If you can, get a couple - a reader and a keeper.

OCTOBER - I'm sorry I missed you at the 2004 SD con. I was there in 2002 and 2003, both great years to be buying DC war. I nailed some of the nicest books in my collection at those cons.

I will say this about hard-core DC war collectors.... something about those books attracts the nicest people. I have met some of the finest people I know through collecting these books... meeting and talking to other DC war collectors (and meeting and interviewing guys like Russ Heath, Joe Kubert, Irv Novick, Bob Kanigher, Ric Estrada, Ayers, Bob Haney, and others) has been as enjoyable and fulfilling as the comics themselves.

Shep