• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BASQUIAT

25 posts in this topic

Anyone into Basquiat ? I was looking at one of his paintings and saw Thor, X-Men and Superman.

artwork_images_423787643_178742_Jean-Michel-Basquiat.jpg

"Charles the First" - 1982

I was looking at the painting (if that's what they're calling it) and saw something my son would've done at 5 years old....

21TWBADBJOEYA.jpg

I like the painting. To each his own I suppose. But would I pay a great deal of money for it? I seriously doubt it.

I think its in a Major Museum and not something even for sale as it is considered priceless.

I like this one better -

meats_main.jpg

Quality Meats for the Public 1982

Acrylic and oil paintstick on canvas

his human condition was being a heroin addict. It's cool to pay hundreds of thousands for stuff by guys like him!

Here's some stuff I did when I was high almost 20 years ago...

21TWBADBJOEYB.jpg

21TWBADBJOEYC.JPG

I guess I shoulda tried airbrushing while on crack,maybe I could've gotten somewhere!

I've seen more interesting stuff by him. That one doesn't interest me much. He was unique, or original, in his [brief] time. That's what's important nowdays because everything has been done already, or so we think.

Of course, he really wasn't that original. But he did have a good P.R. Corps behind him and the fact that he died young without producing a vast amount of work probably helps. His more figurative stuff reminds me of DeBuffet (who was a good 30 years earlier, maybe more) as well as some "primitive" artists that pre-dated Basquiat (my folks used to collect Haitian primitive art in the 1950s and some of this Basquiat stuff is very reminiscent). He did his own spin on it and was deemed unique enough to be a big splash. His works wouldn't be hitting these numbers if they were more numerous and he were still alive cranking out paintings.

I think, the main thing about his art is that it makes a statement. But not in the way that most artists make their statements. The paintings to me, have hidden layers of meaning. Much like good poetry. If you are wondering, NO I don't like this guys paintings. It is mostly content with little style. But I still understand it.

his human condition was being a heroin addict. It's cool to pay hundreds of thousands for stuff by guys like him!

Here's some stuff I did when I was high almost 20 years ago...

21TWBADBJOEYB.jpg

21TWBADBJOEYC.JPG

I guess I shoulda tried airbrushing while on crack,maybe I could've gotten somewhere!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Anyone into Basquiat ? I was looking at one of his paintings and saw Thor, X-Men and Superman.

First, you can't judge the man's work by that one piece. There was a fantastic Basquiat retrospective earlier this year at the Brooklyn Museum of Art where you could have seen the full range of his work and see how it evolved, etc. There was one piece, incidentally, that featured Batman, Robin, the Joker and the Riddler.