• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM internal page questions..

12 posts in this topic

I am trying to learn about purchasing OA, so please excuse these questions if they seem out of line.

What is a fair price that Amazing Spiderman internal pages should cost, from modern issues (issue #400 and more recent)? Also, what affects the value of internal pages (not cover or splash pages)?

I'm looking for opinions with acutal monetary terms. While I respect the answer "if you love it, pay what you can regardless of price". In attempting to acquire my very first piece of OA, I don't want to be taken for a ride, if you know what I mean.

I really appreciate your help!

Hey Raccoon,

The price of internal, or panel pages, depends on quite a few things:

1. Appearance of characters: if Spidey shows up in full costume in a lot of panels, that brings the price up. If it's a battle sequence, the price is higher usually. If there are guest stars, that drives the price up too. For example, a page that just has Peter Parker walking down the street without much action will be cheaper.

2. Artist: some artists are just more expensive than others. If you try to get a McFarlane piece, you will pay a lot more than if you get, for example, a Bagley page.

3. Issue/Storyline: a classic issue will gather a lot more money than an issue where nothing really important happens.

With that said, you can get a page like this one for $50. It's by Bagley, it doesn't have Spidey on it or any really known heroes, so it becomes a cheap page.

asm39626.jpg

A page like this one, for example, can be found for $200. It has a nice drawing of Spidey, it's by Tom Lyle, and it's from an Annual...

asma2720.jpg

Then you can find this page, for example, for $195

SkroceASM427p9.jpg

It's by Skroce, who is not a terribly famous artist, it's from issue 427, and it has a little bit of action.

This is just a sample that hopefully gives you some sort of idea. I would go through the comicartfans web site and ebay just to see what prices pages are going for, and that will give you an idea...

Alberto

t's by Skroce, who is not a terribly famous artist

Except for Matrix fans.

I'm a huge Matrix fan but I've never heard of Skroce either. What did he do?

Nevermind I just googled and apparently he did the storyboards.

I guess I'm not as big of a fan as I thought? confused-smiley-013.gif

t's by Skroce, who is not a terribly famous artist

Except for Matrix fans.

I'm a huge Matrix fan but I've never heard of Skroce either. What did he do?

Nevermind I just googled and apparently he did the storyboards.

More than that really. He was really pivotal in their pitch. They used his artwork to help make sense of what they were talking about. As esoteric as parts of the pitch must have been you could make a case that they couldn't have gotten the film made without his help.

Is there a particular issue from around issue 400 you want? Also, if you are willing to get some art from vol.2 (which was eventually re-numbered to make it a continuation of vol. 1), you can get some relatively inexpensive Byrne and Larsen stuff. The Romita Jr. stuff from this run was somewhat reasonable before this time last year, but at that point Romita Jr. quit selling his artwork, so its been a little more expensive as of late.

Also, have you thought of looking in Ultimate Spider-man interior pages? They are usually pretty nice (especially if you like Bagley) if you get a costumed page or an action page.

Thanks for the help all!!! I don't have a particular artist or issue in mind to collect. I am first looking for a nice piece from any issue that has Spider-man in the page.

I am planning on sticking to only The Amazing Spider-man as this is the only comic I collect.

I have been looking at the Comic Art Fan site, and I think its really great. The prices are so varied, its crazy! Ultimately I would love to have a few starter pieces and eventually trade up to the more prized stuff. I would love to have some covers with the Hobgoblin on them... but I don't really have thousands of dollars to buy them.

Anyplace else besides Comic Art Fan site that you can search for ASM art? I have been to Romitaman, but the site is so rarely updated.

Thanks again for the feedback, especially Alberto!

If you are interested in a specific artist, you can take a look at the various dealer websites that are out there.

For instance, Mark Bagley is repped by Spencer Beck at www.theartistschoice.com

There's a whole list of dealer sites here:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...ge=0#Post917236

But I almost always start my search on CAF - when you do a search it not only searches the various collections on the site, but also some of the dealer sites.

And, of course, there is always eBay.

If you are interested in a specific artist, you can take a look at the various dealer websites that are out there.

But I almost always start my search on CAF - when you do a search it not only searches the various collections on the site, but also some of the dealer sites.

Yeah, Spencer Beck has a LOT of art, unfortunately, he doesn't really have an easy way to search for pages, you have to check painfully artist by artist, but he has good stuff... Now if he only linked his site to CAF, that would be great! smile.gif

Yeah, Spencer Beck has a LOT of art, unfortunately, he doesn't really have an easy way to search for pages, you have to check painfully artist by artist, but he has good stuff... Now if he only linked his site to CAF, that would be great! smile.gif

That would be nice - his site is a pain to deal with. He has some really nice stuff, but half the time its buried way deep in the pencilers/inkers individual category.

That would be nice - his site is a pain to deal with. He has some really nice stuff, but half the time its buried way deep in the pencilers/inkers individual category.

That just means he still has some good stuff left - you just have to dig for it. wink.gif

Personally, I like the way his site is set up since I am usually shopping for somthing by a particular artist.

That just means he still has some good stuff left - you just have to dig for it. wink.gif

Personally, I like the way his site is set up since I am usually shopping for somthing by a particular artist.

I agree. I find his site is the easiest to navigate since I'm usually looking for particular artists.