• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Values going foward, be a Nostrodaumus

What do you think will happen in 2006  

282 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen in 2006

40 posts in this topic

i want to respond to some of the suggestions that the hobby will be dead in 25 years....while i dont think the majority of young people today will collect tommorrow the few that do are going to be hardcore fans that buy multiple comics and and would spend big bucks on a single comic for its collectabillity ....an example of this is at my gym..the owner says 95% percent of his members dont buy protien powders or what not but a small percentage of his lifters are hardcore and dont mind spending several hundred bucks a month.

an example of this is at my gym..the owner says 95% percent of his members dont buy protien powders or what not but a small percentage of his lifters are hardcore and dont mind spending several hundred bucks a month.

Great, so if the hardcore collectors ever start eating their comics, we'll all be set. 27_laughing.gif

ROFL sign-funnypost.gif

Guys, Only 2 weeks left to give your opinions before this poll closes.

Have your say so that you can look back in the years to come and see how things really did pan out.

Thanks again.

Russ popcorn.gif

well, the low dollar stuff isn't going to be helped by ebay's new store pricing structure, that's for sure. but there's a void to be filled by someone: google, microsoft, yahoo...anybody!!??!

1 year after poll bump bumpit.gif

We can now look back on the 2006 results & also check on how 2007 is heading compared to the poll results.

Russ... popcorn.gif

Is there a consensus on what happened in 2006?

1 year after poll bump bumpit.gif

We can now look back on the 2006 results & also check on how 2007 is heading compared to the poll results.

Russ... popcorn.gif

Is there a consensus on what happened in 2006?

We may hear a few views in about a week or two when the 2007 Overstreet guide comes out.

Then again that could just confuse the situation even further confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW.... Me thinks that you are partly to blame for the new records being set for a few pedigreed Flash comics over the past 6 months. poke2.gif

Russ hi.gif

BTW.... Me thinks that you are partly to blame for the new records being set for a few pedigreed Flash comics over the past 6 months. poke2.gif

27_laughing.gif

In all seriousness, I think a couple of clear trends in 2006 were that

1. Flash (and HG early SA DC) are red hot; and

2. HG Ducks are red hot.

My conclusion is not drawn from just one or two sales, but repeated transactions during 2005 and 2006.

27_laughing.gif

In all seriousness, I think a couple of clear trends in 2006 were that

1. Flash (and HG early SA DC) are red hot; and

2. HG Ducks are red hot.

My conclusion is not drawn from just one or two sales, but repeated transactions during 2005 and 2006.

Here's my perspective...

1) Whatever I buy - goes down

2) Whatever I don't buy - goes up

Atleast that's how it feels tongue.gif

I predict GA stuff will still increase in value due to limited supply as well as SA. Modern stuff will go down. My biggest prediction is that Power Pack #1 will shoot over $1,000.00 by next April.

insane.gif

an example of this is at my gym..the owner says 95% percent of his members dont buy protien powders or what not but a small percentage of his lifters are hardcore and dont mind spending several hundred bucks a month.

Great, so if the hardcore collectors ever start eating their comics, we'll all be set. 27_laughing.gif

I see looking back 2 years JC was resident smart-azz. So my prediction going forward is that JC will contiue to be this forums resident pain in the booty!! :whatev:

I spoke with a store owner in NYC who said he thought teh market would hold for another 25 years with guys from his generation (50 year olds) selling their collections to guys from my generation (late twenties and early 30s) and then teh bottom would drop out.

But then again thsi guy sold ASM #1 when it hit $1000 because he thought there was no way it would ever gain any more value. So I guess you never know...

CGC high grade will climb, mid grade will stagnate or fall

Seems this is the best answer for SA/BA and surprised that only ~20% took it.

Except big keys like AF 15, FF 1, etc... mid and low grade have been going down...down...down.

High grade has been climbing or at least holding it's own.

I strongly disagree as I've noticed a few Silver Age keys (Hulk1, Hulk181) in certain grades that I've purchased, have actually increased by about 20% in the past 2 years. I'm only going by average GPA sales of CGC 5.0 Hulk 1 and CGC 9.2 Hulk 181.

-Issa

I strongly disagree as I've noticed a few Silver Age keys (Hulk1, Hulk181) in certain grades that I've purchased, have actually increased by about 20% in the past 2 years. I'm only going by average GPA sales of CGC 5.0 Hulk 1 and CGC 9.2 Hulk 181.

-Issa

He said "Except big keys like AF 15, FF 1, etc... " Hulk 1 and Bronze Age 181 are big keys and fall under "etc." :makepoint:

Aces - what are your considering mid-grade silver? Lower than 8.0?

Modern stuff will go down.

How is that possible, isn't Congress about to abolish the penny?

---------------------------------------------

"Except big keys like AF 15, FF 1, etc... mid and low grade have been going down...down...down."

As for mid-grade and low grade stuff going down, I disagree vehemently. It never sold at the prices stated in OPG in the first place. Actual FMV hasn't really gone down. The mid-grade BA books I'd buy for 25 cents are now serious dollar box material!

I know what I paid for my low and mid-grade books and I know what I can sell them for and it isn't less. Have these been good as "investments"? Perhaps not because with time and overhead I need to make at least a 400-500% profit on the inexpensive stuff to make it worthwhile, but most of the stuff I bought 5-15 years ago is worth 2-5X what I paid for it. Although the DOW and S&P 500 basically haven't moved in the last 8 years, so my 401K hasn't been such a great investment either.

If you got burned on grades, that's another story. Like the VFs you might have purchased that were really VGs. But that's not really a case of going "down." Actually, I can see having been really burned buying "high grade" books at Guide when it turns out those NMs were really Fine+ses.

-Issa

He said "Except big keys like AF 15, FF 1, etc... " Hulk 1 and Bronze Age 181 are big keys and fall under "etc." :makepoint:

Aces - what are your considering mid-grade silver? Lower than 8.0?

VG-VF

Modern stuff will go down.

How is that possible, isn't Congress about to abolish the penny?

---------------------------------------------

"Except big keys like AF 15, FF 1, etc... mid and low grade have been going down...down...down."

As for mid-grade and low grade stuff going down, I disagree vehemently. It never sold at the prices stated in OPG in the first place. Actual FMV hasn't really gone down. The mid-grade BA books I'd buy for 25 cents are now serious dollar box material!

I know what I paid for my low and mid-grade books and I know what I can sell them for and it isn't less. Have these been good as "investments"? Perhaps not because with time and overhead I need to make at least a 400-500% profit on the inexpensive stuff to make it worthwhile, but most of the stuff I bought 5-15 years ago is worth 2-5X what I paid for it. Although the DOW and S&P 500 basically haven't moved in the last 8 years, so my 401K hasn't been such a great investment either.

If you got burned on grades, that's another story. Like the VFs you might have purchased that were really VGs. But that's not really a case of going "down." Actually, I can see having been really burned buying "high grade" books at Guide when it turns out those NMs were really Fine+ses.

I mean long term.

What % of NM did one have to pay for Fine in the 1980s vs the 1990s vs the 2000s?

Down Down Down

I suspect the 2010s will contine the trend.