• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The dollars and cents of collecting-Your opinions.

92 posts in this topic

Although prices are HIGH right now

Maybe qualify that comment. Prices are high on NM or better books. I'm with Donut on this one. There are plenty of deals to be had on F-VF books and even raw NMs. The problem with buying raw NM on ebay is sifting thru all the overgraded [!@#%^&^]. Early silver in F-VF can be had for below guide for the most part partly because of the overgrading and partly because everyone is stuck in NM or BUST mode.

I take that stance as well...to a point. I see no point in spending 20 bucks for a Fine-, when I can buy a NM for 60.... I'll spend 60 for the NM, then 2 for the Good reading copy. smile.gif

But generally speaking, I don't have a problem with VGs and Fines - as long as I cannot realistically afford higher grades.

Hurry up with that web site!

Two thoughts:

1) The spread between mid-grade books and NM has ALWAYS increased. It WILL ALWAYS increase.

But, the really issues is HOW MUCH DO YOU PAY FOR THE BOOK. If you can buy VG books at 50% of Gude and have to pay 300% of Guide for a NM book, then it is quite possible you will make a higher profit percentage on the VG book down the road.

2) While I have said in many other post that there are an abundant amount of high-grade books that have yet to be certified, one factor that will slow the amount of new supply is the COST TO CERTIFY A BOOK.

Right now, if you own late Silver-Age books such as TOS, TTA, Strange Tales, Avengers and most late DC's, etc. unless you can guarantee a NM grade, why would you CERTIFY it? Many of these books guide for $50-$70 yet, if the book comes back a VF/NM you might only get $40-$50 on a sale. But it cost you atleast $25 to CERTIFY.

As the cost of certification increases, expect less and less common books to be certified.