• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comic book market

60 posts in this topic

I do not want to single out any specific dealers, but it seems odd to me that the people who traffic in CGC books are almost exclusively sellers and are not even remotely interested in buying any of the same books they are selling. Let me use an example of to illustrate my point. Book A is listed on a dealers website for $1000 I offer $800 and get laughed at. I end up buying the exact same book for my price of $800 from someone else. Another copy of the same book comes up for sale on EBAY and I end up purchasing it for $450. If the dealer truly believed in his product and that it was worth $1000, why would he allow another copy to sell in a public forum for less than half his asking price?. confused-smiley-013.gif

If the dealer truly believed in his product and that it was worth $1000, why would he allow another copy to sell in a public forum for less than half his asking price?. confused-smiley-013.gif

because price FIXING on a common comic is more trouble than its worth? confused-smiley-013.gif I don't know about this "allow" business, how do you stop people from listing at whatever price they want to on ebay? Maybe the $1000 seller didn't see the listing?

Bullet, I've always taken the stance that anyone, any seller or dealer has the right to ask whatever they want for a book. The market dictates whether the books sells or not. You might be ticked that the seller didn't sell for what you think is a fair offer, but they have the right of refusal, whether you think they are fair or not.

And conversely, a buyer has the right to walk away from any deal where the asking price is too high, in their opinion. It's what makes it a horse race and not chemistry.

I do not want to single out any specific dealers, but it seems odd to me that the people who traffic in CGC books are almost exclusively sellers and are not even remotely interested in buying any of the same books they are selling. Let me use an example of to illustrate my point. Book A is listed on a dealers website for $1000 I offer $800 and get laughed at. I end up buying the exact same book for my price of $800 from someone else. Another copy of the same book comes up for sale on EBAY and I end up purchasing it for $450. If the dealer truly believed in his product and that it was worth $1000, why would he allow another copy to sell in a public forum for less than half his asking price?. confused-smiley-013.gif

Consider what you are asking. When dealer's have to buy up books in a futile attempt to uphold the value of their inventory, you should proceed in the market at your own peril....

And the moral to the story is if you wait long enough, the books you are looking for will always show up on Ebay, and they will always be cheaper. Collecting is a marathon, not a sprint.

Excellent point. I recently picked up a book on eBay for under $300. A copy in the same grade has been sitting on a major dealer's site for almost a year at $750.

And the moral to the story is if you wait long enough, the books you are looking for will always show up on Ebay, and they will always be cheaper. Collecting is a marathon, not a sprint.

Ah, couldn't have said it better myself thumbsup2.gif

Bullet, I've always taken the stance that anyone, any seller or dealer has the right to ask whatever they want for a book. The market dictates whether the books sells or not. You might be ticked that the seller didn't sell for what you think is a fair offer, but they have the right of refusal, whether you think they are fair or not.

And conversely, a buyer has the right to walk away from any deal where the asking price is too high, in their opinion. It's what makes it a horse race and not chemistry.

My point is, the connotation of a dealer ( at least in the corporate world which I come from) means that you would be willing to buy any product which you are selling (at a given price) I have seen a number of threads where dealers lament that they can not sell their product at the prices they want. Is it maybe because they are not willing to support the hobby which they claim to make a living from? Their asking price was derived from something other than thin air (I hope) so they believe the comic is worth that. Well, then isn't another copy of the same comic worth at least half that? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My point is, the connotation of a dealer ( at least in the corporate world which I come from) means that you would be willing to buy any product which you are selling (at a given price) I have seen a number of threads where dealers lament that they can not sell their product at the prices they want. Is it maybe because they are not willing to support the hobby which they claim to make a living from? Their asking price was derived from something other than thin air (I hope) so they believe the comic is worth that. Well, then isn't another copy of the same comic worth at least half that? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Depends on the profit margin they are shooting for. To me or you, it may be enough of a profit to buy something I'm already selling for $100 at $50 if I know I have definite buyers at $100. Maybe for some comic dealers, this may not be enough of a profit to overcome their "risk"

Depends on the profit margin they are shooting for. To me or you, it may be enough of a profit to buy something I'm already selling for $100 at $50 if I know I have definite buyers at $100. Maybe for some comic dealers, this may not be enough of a profit to overcome their "risk"

I am not talking about a book that has sat on your website for a year at $100 I am talking about a book that you listed for $100, was offered $80 and passed and then let another identical copy sell for $45 all within a two week time frame. Do not misunderstand me, I am happy, to purchase the second book for $45 even though I just bought one for $80, Now I have two books I like at an average price of $62.50. I think that I am the winner here. Just wondering why anyone would call themselves a comic book dealer and not feel they have a vested interest in every book that comes to market that they traffic in.

I am not talking about a book that has sat on your website for a year at $100 I am talking about a book that you listed for $100, was offered $80 and passed and then let another identical copy sell for $45 all within a two week time frame. Do not misunderstand me, I am happy, to purchase the second book for $45 even though I just bought one for $80, Now I have two books I like at an average price of $62.50. I think that I am the winner here. Just wondering why anyone would call themselves a comic book dealer and not feel they have a vested interest in every book that comes to market that they traffic in.

I'm sorry if I'm a bit confused, but was the original book listed at $100 or $1000 on the dealer's website? There's a huge difference between $100 and $45, and $1000 and $450.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Props.

So what you're suggesting is that dealers should be propping up the market by buying items that they don't really need, just to record a sale and have the 'value' of the book justified? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Where do you think 5 years' worth of 'record sales' have come from? tongue.gif