• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comic book market

60 posts in this topic

B.) Books I want to keep in my collection but am willing to sell for a profit - I'll generally up my asking price for these books on CL since even of they don't sell, I'll enloy keeping them in my collection. If they do sell, then I can purchase other books to fit Category A.

This explains all my "ComicLink Seller Response - Bid Declined" emails from CL;

it's ME bro bidding on your books! Let them go!

B.) Books I want to keep in my collection but am willing to sell for a profit - I'll generally up my asking price for these books on CL since even of they don't sell, I'll enloy keeping them in my collection. If they do sell, then I can purchase other books to fit Category A.

This explains all my "ComicLink Seller Response - Bid Declined" emails from CL;

it's ME bro bidding on your books! Let them go!

I doubt it. smile.gif

The 15 CGC graded books I've sold on CL are completely different than what I'm currently collecting. They're mostly BA Marvel junk.

A large part of the arguement has to include which venue you use to move the product. You may be able to dump a book at one place but get considerably more at another. Same book, slightly different time, different audience. Can't blame anyone for that.

but in reality it was an $80 vs. $100 offer.

What are you talking about?!

I'm talking about this statement made on page 2 of this thread:

<I am not talking about a book that has sat on your website for a year at $100 I am talking about a book that you listed for $100, was offered $80 and passed and then let another identical copy sell for $45 all within a two week time frame. Do not misunderstand me, I am happy, to purchase the second book for $45 even though I just bought one for $80, Now I have two books I like at an average price of $62.50. I think that I am the winner here. Just wondering why anyone would call themselves a comic book dealer and not feel they have a vested interest in every book that comes to market that they traffic in.>

<I am not talking about a book that has sat on your website for a year at $100 I am talking about a book that you listed for $100, was offered $80 and passed and then let another identical copy sell for $45 all within a two week time frame. Do not misunderstand me, I am happy, to purchase the second book for $45 even though I just bought one for $80, Now I have two books I like at an average price of $62.50. I think that I am the winner here. Just wondering why anyone would call themselves a comic book dealer and not feel they have a vested interest in every book that comes to market that they traffic in.>

I don't see the dealer doing anything wrong excpet stick to his guns on his asking price. Sorry confused-smiley-013.gif

foreheadslap.gif I just assumed Bullet123 dropped a zero to save himself some typing. He's not typically in the market for books that go for $100 or less.

I don't see the dealer doing anything wrong excpet stick to his guns on his asking price. Sorry confused-smiley-013.gif

No one is criticizing the dealer for doing that! Christo_pull_hair.gif

The question is if the dealer feels he can sell a book at $1000 or $800, why would he not swoop up any comparable copies that he can find at $450?

foreheadslap.gif I just assumed Bullet123 dropped a zero to save himself some typing. He's not typically in the market for books that go for $100 or less.

I was talking about $1000/800/450 but someone ( I think Bronze Bruce used the 100/80/45 analogy so I responded in kind) Regardless of how many zeros after the big number, I think my analogy still applies(although at lesser zeros, time and postage, etc. could make it not worth a dealers time but certainly at my original levels $1000/800/450 it boggles my mind that a dealer will not put his money where his mouth is)

there are lots of dealers that do not actively look for books on ebay. I ask the odd dealer/collector (true BSD dealer that also has a personal collection) if they saw this or that book and their response? I don't do ebay. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sheesh, dealers can't be chasing around propping up the market like that. how much free cash do you think they have? of course, they may be thinking: ok, once those two cheapies sell, mine might be one of the few out there on the market.

right now some guy has up in his store for $3 a comic I've sold a few times for $10+. it's a little irritating given that if he had just checked past sales he'd see it usually goes for more than $3. anyway, it's a popular item and usually not more than 1 or 2 up for auction at once. i figure someone will buy it and then i'll list my usual $9.99 auction.

wow. interesting discussion, but Im missing something. Sure it sounds funny that a dealer wouldnt scoop up an extrs cheap copy. But as TTH2 said, who says the dealer even knew the other copy was for sale? And if he did, who says he wants to double up? What book was it? Maybe he needed to get 1000 cause he was into it for 800. Maybe buying another copy to sell for less or the same would be twice the work sonce hes had no nibble yet at 1000. Who knows?

but I dont see any great mystery or scandal. Just be happy you found the book somewhere else for less. Screw the dopey dealer anyway!

Robert, as what has already been stated a couple of times by other posters. I as a dealer spend very little time on ebay and probably would have missed the item. Why do I care what a book sells for on ebay? I don't know the motivation of the seller, the page quality could be different etc. Lately, I'm not even sure of the honesty of the seller based on the rising number of scams. I have over 26,000 books on my website, does that mean I should look and try to follow 26,000 items on Ebay? I'm sure if I had a book at $1000, saw it on ebay in basically the same grade for $450 I would put a bid on it. If I didn't win it so what, somebody else got a deal.

To be honest I find that this forum alerts me to really good books more often than going straight to Ebay. Sometimes it's more out of curiousity than a need to buy it. We are not robots sitting behind our desks seeking and comparing our prices to other sites/Ebay.

We are not robots sitting behind our desks seeking and comparing our prices to other sites/Ebay.

893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif

what else, good man Robert, could you possibly be doing with your time. I thought all comic geeks had an ebay interface in their foreheads. foreheadslap.gif

Robert, as what has already been stated a couple of times by other posters. I as a dealer spend very little time on ebay and probably would have missed the item. Why do I care what a book sells for on ebay? I don't know the motivation of the seller, the page quality could be different etc. Lately, I'm not even sure of the honesty of the seller based on the rising number of scams. I have over 26,000 books on my website, does that mean I should look and try to follow 26,000 items on Ebay? I'm sure if I had a book at $1000, saw it on ebay in basically the same grade for $450 I would put a bid on it. If I didn't win it so what, somebody else got a deal.

To be honest I find that this forum alerts me to really good books more often than going straight to Ebay. Sometimes it's more out of curiousity than a need to buy it. We are not robots sitting behind our desks seeking and comparing our prices to other sites/Ebay.

Bob

In my profession, it is absolutely imperative that I have a handle on what my competition is doing. Due diligence and hard work are what make me successful in my line of work. I have seen you post on a number of occassions lamenting about the market in which you try and earn a living. Like it or not, EBAY + Heritage are more of a threat to your business IMO than any dealer out there. Please do not take this as a personal affront as I have only met you briefly once so I do not know you, but why wouldn't you care about what the people with whom you are competing for collectors $ are doing. Dealers who profess to not care about what EBAY and Heritage are doing is like me saying the war in IRAQ does not affect me or my children because it is happening in IRAQ, not here in the US

It seems more collectors/dealers are willing to do just that, but the people who call themselves the "dealers" of this hobby are not.

Whats wrong with having two of the same book if its something you liked/desired in the first place?

If they want buyers to come to them to buy, they have to be willing to buy themselves!

I can't speak for others, but I actually do this all the time. Perhaps because in my head/heart I am more collector than dealer.